DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh yeah, I forgot, Mark from Impetigo said Deadbeat was one of them on Facebook. Said band used this most infamous clip from it on their song "I Work for the Streetcleaner":

That is still legit one of the funniest things I've ever seen/heard, and deserves to be somebody's voicemail message badly. 

As far as the film itself, it's a shame VanBebber didn't do more after that. I think it took like 20 years to get the funding for his The Manson Family. Deadbeat is utterly insane and awesome. 

The fight choreography and stunt work in that final scene was astounding given that no one involved was a trained stunt person and they had like hours to film most of it.  It makes you wonder how well even a Jackie Chan fight would look if he didn't have an army of personally trained brilliant athletes working with him and dozens to hundreds of takes for each single shot to make it work.

It was legit one of the best things I've ever seen when you measure in the degree of difficulty.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Legion is a thoughtful and engaging novel, but it is far more philosophical than The Exorcist.  I have no idea why someone thought it was a good idea to turn it into a movie that dumbed down or even skipped some of the more inspired parts of the book.

Even it its "for dummies" state, Exorcist III is still a brilliant movie.  I think people hated the movie because they expected to have their eyes assaulted again and had their brains boggled instead.

Almost all the problems with Exorcist III would be solved by having a lead who wasn't so sluggish and phoning it in as George C. Scott was. I know he was a big name and the character he was playing wasn't exactly spry in the 1st movie. But if they didn't insist on keeping that personal connection in that character, they could have heightened the stakes so much just by having a little motion and emotion from their lead in the same way that the stationary villain in the first movie was counterbalanced by the whirlwind of energy from Ellen Burstyn.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 1

Damn, VanBebber was ripped off by both his NY distributor and the VHS people, then even got ripped off when they put out the Synapse DVD that I have. He said until Dark Sky put out his box set that it wasn't treated properly, and I think Arrow finally really paid him. 

I really should bust it out again just to watch the end. There's also another classic line in it that I can't recall exactly. 

One of my favorite exchanges in the movie is between Van Bebber and the homeless dude he sits across from in an alley.

*Nervously* “What are you going to do with that gun?”

“I’m going to shoot myself.”

”Oh, alright, yeah. Cool with me. Alright yeah, heh heh, shit, mmhmm.”

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So he can play Bloodsucking Freaks as the first of the season but Cannibal Holocaust might be a turnoff. 

Got it

People won't give a shit about the rape, cannibalism, and impalement of humans albeit simulated.  They will lose their shit over the actual animal cruelty which TBH is pretty vile, but I just don't think that the dismemberment and eating of a live turtle is the sole thing that should upset you about this fucking movie.

Speaking of Shudder, has anyone checked out any episodes of Blood Machines or watched Z yet?

Edited by J.T.

Tales From The Crypt:  Demon Knight is on Screenpix aka Ghetto HBO right now.

How did we fail in casting bald Billy Zane as Lex Luthor in anything when he was in his prime?

• Like 2

All I'm saying is the warning is stupid. If Joe Bob says "Cannibal Holocaust is next" then if you are watching Joe Bob you will know what is coming, and you can TURN IT OFF if you don't like it. You don't need any kind of prior awareness. You know what it is.

I know he/they are just trying to cover their ass but taking away the element of surprise is lame. 

There is one cool thing about it, they're doing a version with just the in-between bits without the film for people who just want to watch those. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Cannibal Holocaust is burying the lead.

First movie is DEAD HEAT.

I probably watched this movie several dozens of times as a young boy Like I'd rent the movie and just watch it on a loop. I DON'T FEEL SHAME. My wife is seeing this with me and it's like she understands me that years of marriage couldn't accomplish on its own. 

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 12:26 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

A few weeks ago in between movies, Joe Bob got my hopes up that he was doing Inferno or The Beyond. 

I think The Beyond is on Showtime Network's rotation right now.  It may also be on Tubi or FilmRise.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think The Beyond is on Showtime Network's rotation right now.  It may also be on Tubi or FilmRise.

I was actually more interested in Joe Bob doing an episode on The Beyond than watching the movie itself. I own the last two editions released by Grindhouse. In fact, I ended up buying the most recent Blu-Ray version twice because the first one I bought ended up getting scratched somehow and skipping on certain parts. There was a several years long period where I drank and watched it at least once a month, so I'm probably good for a awhile.  I don't own Inferno but both it and The Beyond are also part of Shudder's current line-up. I believe Inferno is also on Tubi. Inferno was one of the trailers (they play a few every week during the break before the second movie) in between Brain Damage and Deep Red, and I was just as interested in seeing Joe Bob try to decipher all the weird, wacky wild shit happening in that one as The Beyond. 

Deadbeat at Dawn was actually one of my main guesses for last week's hyper violent movie but I couldn't remember if Shudder had the rights or not. I still need to watch it by itself and then check out the Last Drive-in Episode. Apparently Shudder doesn't have the rights to Dead Heat because it hasn't been added yet even though Cannibal Holocaust and Joe Bob's Commentary (without the movie) have already been added to the streaming episodes. Fortunately, I caught Dead Heat live last night  in case the rights issues don't work themselves out. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

After this year’s smash hit of Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man, Universal is looking to go full steam ahead on a reboot of its iconic Wolfman franchise with Ryan Gosling (The Nice Guys) currently being eyed to star and the search for a director narrowing down, according to Variety.

Sources report that executives at the Hollywood studio have been meeting with directors this past month in hopes of making a decision on who will helm the project, and though there is no one filmmaker currently leading the pack, Bad Education‘s Cory Finley is reportedly one of the directors in talks to take on the job.

Gosling himself was reportedly eyed to helm the project and direct at one point, which would’ve marked his second venture behind the camera after 2014’s Lost River, but after talks with the studio, both parties agreed it would be better for the Oscar nominee to remain in an actor position.

The film, based on a pitch from Gosling himself, is set to be penned by Lauren Schuker Blum and Rebeca Angelo, known for working on Netflix’s Orange is the New Black, and though details on the plot are unknown at this time, it’s believed to be set in modern day and follow in the footsteps of the Jake Gyllenhaal-starrer Nightcrawler.

Murder Manual (already on Amazon)

The official trailer for Hewes Pictures’ horror anthology feature Murder Manual has been released, starring Emmy nominee Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Terminator Genisys). Clarke’s segment is actually a short film called Shackled which was made in 2012 before the actress reached full stardom. You can check out the trailer below and order your copy of the movie here!

In Murder Manual, eight “creepy, terrifying chapters from our book of horror include a little girl’s journey from a world of nightmares into the nightmare of reality, a gay couple’s romantic getaway in Palm Springs that turns murderous, a young woman whose rideshare turns deadly, and a girl who is held captive by a circus that must be rescued by her husband.”

Murder Manual also stars Hadley Fraser (The Legend of Tarzan), Sylvia Panacione (Jane the Virgin), Maria Olsen (Paranormal Activity 3), Bryan Manley Davis (The Devil’s Well). Directors include Michael Escobedo, Kelly Hallmark, Matt Newton, Sam N. Powell, Toni Tikkanen, and Nour Wazzi.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:29 AM, J.T. said:

Tales From The Crypt:  Demon Knight is on Screenpix aka Ghetto HBO right now.

How did we fail in casting bald Billy Zane as Lex Luthor in anything when he was in his prime?

Billy Zane in Demon Knight is one of my favorite cinema villains ever. I watched it and thought he was going to be a superstar. I just looked up his IMDB, apparently he's going to play Marlon Brando in something.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:05 AM, J.T. said:

Speaking of Shudder, has anyone checked out any episodes of Blood Machines or watched Z yet?

I've been hype for Blood Machines for months now so I'll devour it probably in the next day or so.

I did watch a couple episode of Shudder's Cursed Films series. I peeped the Exorcist and the Crow movie. The Crow one was tough because the producer they interviewed is still clearly not able to talk about it. But he tried. The itnerview with the makeup artists has a lot of surreal shit in it to. The Exorcist one feels like they didn't have a whole lot to fill the 25 minute run time. A chunk was spent on some guy who says he's an Exorcist. Has nothing to do with the film. I would have rather they dropped the whole "Is it Cursed" gimmick. It's  hokey to begin with.

In the Exorcist episode they asked Linda Blair about the bodyguards assigned to her and she straight up said "I won't talk about that." So I'm like what the fuck happened there?

• Like 3

Didn't' Universal already take a shot at a Wolfman joint before with Benicio Del Toro and it turned to shit?  I was actually pumped for that joint and was thoroughly disappointed.

I love werewolf movies so I am up for another go as long as it doesn't suck.

Edited by J.T.

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

In the Exorcist episode they asked Linda Blair about the bodyguards assigned to her and she straight up said "I won't talk about that." So I'm like what the fuck happened there?

For years after the release of the movie, 14 year old Linda Blair received a shit load of death threats.  Mostly from religious zealots wanting to purify her.

Her parents were also threatened for allowing their child to take such a role.  It got so bad that Linda spend most of her formative years living with her friend's parents and shifting in between Vermont, Jersey, and Connecticut.

8 minutes ago, J.T. said:

For years after the release of the movie, 14 year old Linda Blair received a shit load of death threats.  Mostly from religious zealots wanting to purify her.

Her parents were also threatened for allowing their child to take such a role.  It got so bad that Linda spend most of her formative years living with her friend's parents and shifting in between Vermont, Jersey, and Connecticut.

I think the framing of the question threw me off. Because they talk about what you just mentioned. I think it was the fact that when they say said "Bodyguards" she immediately was like "we're not talking about that." So I was like "What happened with the bodyguards specifically?" But now I realize that she wasn't talking about the bodyguards she was talking about the whole reason they were even hired.

I said to my wife when they talked about these people thinking she was really possessed by the devil that this was only in 1973. Two generations back. No way are we smarter than that now. Dumb takes time to get bred out.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:02 PM, jaedmc said:

I just looked up his IMDB, apparently he's going to play Marlon Brando in something.

That sounds awesome. They look fairly similar, at least facially. Demon Knight is a big favorite because it was one of the first horror movies I ever saw in the theater... that and it rules, of course. Speaking of which I think The Wolfman with Benicio gets a bad rap. He was really good in it and it had some solid gore and effects. 

Linda Blair got so whacked out that she started partying with Rick James. Let that one settle in. 

The Beyond, like Zombie, is indeed in perma-rotation on Showtime. I wish they'd show The Gates of Hell or House by the Cemetery sometime instead.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:02 PM, jaedmc said:

Billy Zane in Demon Knight is one of my favorite cinema villains ever. I watched it and thought he was going to be a superstar.

Fuckin' hodunk podunk well there then mother fuckers has been a part of my regular lexicon ever since the release of that movie.

FUCK THIS COWBOY SHIT~!

• Like 2