DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

I watched HEAD OF THE FAMILY and it was actually quite a weird, enjoyable little film. There were some genuine ideas at the heart of it—makes me wonder what could have been with a bigger budget.

Supposedly, BRIDE OF HEAD OF THE FAMILY is coming out this year, but they’ve been saying that for about 20 years now.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:55 AM, Curt McGirt said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYvMYa-fzCq2D4gLYQ6F1mQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

WHOA.

This is about the biggest lineup of free Youtube horror movies I've ever seen, and I don't know how they have the rights for some of these -- they have everything from popular stuff like Hellraiser and Day of the Dead to total obscurities like Lunch Meat. If you're looking for something you haven't seen before it might be here, so check it out. 

...aaaaaaand its gone ☹️

• Sad 1

Finally saw Train to Busan last night. That was pretty damn good though also depressing. Then again there are maybe a handful of zombie movies that aren't depressing that I can think of offhand.

• Like 1

Saw Underwater, and I guess for its budget it's a movie. The set pieces at times reminded me of Cloverfield, where the environment is as much a threat as any monsters or what have you. Great tense moments absolutely, triggered my claustrophobia a few times (though thankfully nowhere near as bad as Turistas or the Descent).

Also saw Ghostbusters the original, and The Fly remake with Goldblum. Goddamn, but Fly really is one fine piece of filmmaking.

Never saw these as a kid cause my pops wasn't even letting me anywhere near movies like this. Something like Robocop or Terminator, with Cyborgs he was fine with. Monsters and ghosts and supernatural, nope! And to his way of thinking back then The Fly may as well be Leatherface or Pinhead lol, he wasn't letting me watch no matter how much a fan I was of Goldblum as a kid. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 12:03 AM, Curt McGirt said:

So this got taken down. If it's because I posted it here, I hope whoever might've snitched or shared it with someone who would gets roaches.

Bummer. I'm still subscribed to Amazon Prime and Shudder, and I've seen other stuff that was posted on there on B-Movie TV, so I didn't have as much use for it as I would have in the past. I did watch Hack-O-Lantern starring that weirdo Hy Pyke as a satanic grandfather. The dude that plays Mac's dad on Always Sunny was the grandson. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 1:59 PM, Eivion said:

Finally saw Train to Busan last night. That was pretty damn good though also depressing. Then again there are maybe a handful of zombie movies that aren't depressing that I can think of offhand.

I watched Train to Busan and Seoul Station back to back yesterday.  Both are equally heartbreaking, but at least there is some poetic justice in the ending for Seoul Station.

I needed a hug after the double feature but we're social distancing, so I ate some Caramel Turtle ice cream to cheer myself up.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Saw Underwater, and I guess for its budget it's a movie. The set pieces at times reminded me of Cloverfield, where the environment is as much a threat as any monsters or what have you. Great tense moments absolutely, triggered my claustrophobia a few times (though thankfully nowhere near as bad as Turistas or the Descent).

Now that we all know that,

Spoiler

The big monster is Cthulu and the smaller creatures are Deep Ones ala The Shadow over Innsmouth

thanks to confirmation from the director, I wish it had been teased better in the film.  The planned sequel probably won't be made since it did so poorly, so we're left wondering how things might've been expanded in a future project.

• Like 1

100% agreed, I wish they'd had better lighting on that big reveal scene, I'd give it more stars than a Young Bucks match in Japan with Kenny Omega involved hahaha.

It was a nice shot but I kept looking for the signature details to confirm (before reading the director's interview) and liked it enough that I'm going to be let down if they can't follow through with another one. 

• Like 1

Started watching GANJA & HESS last night, though Kanopy crashed with 45 minutes remaining. Anyway, was not what I was expecting at all. I mean, the film starts with a bunch of writing describing, in the past tense, the things that are about to happen in twenty minutes. Then, you get a documentary-like scene of a church, with voice over from a character that won’t be introduced until an hour later, reiterating what the writing at the start already said. Then you get introduced to Bill Gunn’s character, who tells a long anecdote badly in a series of poorly composed shots.

It’s...something.