DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Extended RED BAND trailer for Antlers.

So much for keeping things ambiguous since you can clearly hear the word "wendigo" in the beginning of the Native American chant going on in the trailer.

Edited by J.T.

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Boy they sure weren't afraid to give away a whole fucking lot in that trailer

On the one hand, we're all familiar with the Candyman mythology so the premise is no secret.

OTOH

Spoiler

Holy fuck, guys.  You could've kept the Is He Crazy Or Is He Turning Into Candyman stuff out of the fucking trailer.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think there were at least 8 kills in the trailer too

You had one mass snuffing in that bathroom scene.

Spoiler

I am getting a very JD's Revenge vibe from how the new Candyman may do business and that may be a good thing.  Good on Jordan Peele and Nia DaCosta for remembering the classics.

Edited by J.T.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You had one mass snuffing in that bathroom scene.

Reveal hidden contents

By my count

Spoiler

The 5 HS girls in the bathroom (6 if you count the girl in the stall - I did not.)

The dude dragged from the door

The old white chick

There was definitely one more but I missed who it was

And that is what I remember without watching it again

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

By my count

Personally,

Spoiler

I think you're right that the girl in the bathroom stall is spared because she never said his name.

The dude dragged from the door definitely gets it as does Rebecca Spence aka the older white lady.

Edited by J.T.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:36 AM, jaedmc said:

It feels like a second choice movie. I imagine he wrote it for Haig to have one last ride, and when he found out he couldn't have that he made this movie. I don't want to say his heart wasn't in it because it's more complicated than that. It's probably really hard to make a movie knowing the whole time you can't make the one you want literally because your friend is dying. 

It was tough seeing Sid as sick as he was, but man when he started delivering his lines and you could see the fire in his eyes - I got pretty hyped. CAPTAIN SPAULDING FOREVER MOTHER FUCKER.

Rob told the story, and you're pretty much correct. He wrote the movie with all three of them in it, and then Sid wasn't up to a full shoot so he rewrote it to have him only in about half of it, and finally he had to beg the studio to let him bring Sid in for just one day (insurance wouldn't cover him) to get that fucking incredible monologue.

Edited by Brian Fowler

What J.T. said in spoilers about what the trailer gave away, but still -- this looks great. It looks like a re-envisioning that might be on par with the original. How often do you get THAT? Evil Dead might have been the only one that cracked the code there, and it still wasn't really comparable in a lot of ways.

My favorite part was old girl just shutting whoever she was talking to up and saying "don't say that". In other hands that might've been funny, but that... wasn't.

And of course, I am obligated by nature to mention the Bad Brains patch on bathroom girl's backpack. 

EDIT: Watched the Antlers trailer too and I swear if the kid is lying then Todd is the killer haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What J.T. said in spoilers about what the trailer gave away, but still -- this looks great. It looks like a re-envisioning that might be on par with the original. How often do you get THAT? Evil Dead might have been the only one that cracked the code there, and it still wasn't really comparable in a lot of ways.

My favorite part was old girl just shutting whoever she was talking to up and saying "don't say that". In other hands that might've been funny, but that... wasn't.

That was the best.  The apparent age of that woman who still believes in Candyman just lets you know that his folklore has been around at least since she was a child and Candyman was the boogeyman of her youth.

Also a bit of a Ring / Pumpkinhead jab there at younger generations who aren't wise enough to have a healthy respect for the unknown.

"Hey!  Have you ever heard of the cursed videotape?  LET'S PLAY IT~!"

Great subtle stuff there.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, (BP) said:

I wish they would give this treatment to Hellraiser. If any franchise needs a rehab it’s that one. 

As much as I like what I've seen from the Candyman trailer, I kinda wish it were set in the UK and was a bit more loyal to the short story.  

Same with Hellrasier.  I need a true to text film version of The Hellbound Heart.  I think that's the first step in rehabbing that franchise.  Then you could make a do-over of Lord of Illusions (The Last Illusion) to bring Harry D'Amour back into the narrative and have The Scarlet Gospels as your tie-in finale.

I'm actually surprised that Netflix or Shudder hasn't made a limited series with Harry D'Amour as the protagonist.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

What do you know?  The movie formerly tied to the shitty Combined Universal Monsterverse is sitting pretty at 92% Fresh on RT and that's with 147 reviews turned in..

Looks like my kid and I will definitely be checking out The Invisible Man, but we may have to wait until next custody weekend unless she wants to skip Galaxycon in favor of the movies.  My wallet would probably appreciate that since we've got family coming over on Saturday for the day and the I am out for UFC in Norfolk tomorrow night.

Edited by J.T.

Per Deadline - SyFy has picked up a 10 episode Day of the Dead Series

Based on the blurb - it appears that the series will be slightly like 24 in that it will focus on 6 people trying to survive the first 24 hours of an "undead invasion"

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Deadline - SyFy has picked up a 10 episode Day of the Dead Series

Based on the blurb - it appears that the series will be slightly like 24 in that it will focus on 6 people trying to survive the first 24 hours of an "undead invasion"

well now I just want to see Jack Bauer take on a zombie invasion