DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That trailers giving me Silent Rage ripoff vibes. 

I may have to write a bonus review for Silent Rage if we do the Kung Fu movie review thing again this year.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Am I tripping or is the blonde dude that says he's a US Marshall in that trailer the killer from Cobra? 

WEHXWLUOU6su88jZp6FF5roSyO1hD0PTa2jB0MH_

It's got to be him.

Nope.   IMDB says that The Marshall is played by Colin Bryant.  The role of the Night Stalker in Cobra was played by Brian Thompson.

I totally brainfarted that Thompson is still working hard to this very day.  He's been on The Orville, Californication, and 9-1-1.

He also played Eddie Fion, leader of the Brujah in the short lived television series, Kindred:  The Embraced, based on White Wolf's Vampire:  The Masquerade RPG. 

Fellow heavy and horror vet, Jeff Kober (The First Power, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead) played Daedalus, the Nosferatu coven head.

Edited by J.T.

They look identical if you pause the video and compare with the picture though. Except for the fact that dude would have aged what, 34 years or something since then.

Speaking of actors, I wonder how many of the gals in that trailer stepped right off the set of a Cinemax After Dark picture.

Edited by Curt McGirt

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They look identical if you pause the video and compare with the picture though. Except for the fact that dude would have aged what, 34 years or something since then.

Speaking of actors, I wonder how many of the gals in that trailer stepped right off the set of a Cinemax After Dark picture.

Yes, there were some very MRG Entertainment wardrobe choices going on in that trailer. 

Not that I am familiar with such things.  I am just a fast Google guy.

The #1 Japanese producer of premium nightmare fuel may be the nicest man that has ever lived.

If this is successful, hopefully Adult Swim will produce Junji Ito's Gyo and give it the same loving treatment that Uzumaki appear to have received.   The Aniplex adaptation of Gyo really is horrible and misses the entire point of the manga.

Edited by J.T.

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

The #1 Japanese producer of premium nightmare fuel may be the nicest man that has ever lived.

If this is successful, hopefully Adult Swim will produce Junji Ito's Gyo and give it the same loving treatment that Uzumaki appear to have received.   The Aniplex adaptation of Gyo really is horrible and misses the entire point of the manga.

I have such little memory of Gyo other than it being shit. So it actually did come from something decent? Aniplex just fucked it up bad?

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

I have such little memory of Gyo other than it being shit. So it actually did come from something decent? Aniplex just fucked it up bad?

Yeah, it was pretty horrible.  It was all OOOOHHHH~!   FISH WITH LEGS~!!! without going into the environmental and political elements that make the manga's storyline so frightening and awesome.  The evil walking fish are a symptom of the larger problem at hand, similar to the zombie meta of The Walking Dead.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:55 PM, J.T. said:

I may have to write a bonus review for Silent Rage if we do the Kung Fu movie review thing again this year.

That is going to happen though I feel like maybe we're going to need an extended break after Ernie Ladd, so maybe May again or June.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 1:37 AM, J.T. said:

Nope.   IMDB says that The Marshall is played by Colin Bryant.  The role of the Night Stalker in Cobra was played by Brian Thompson.

I totally brainfarted that Thompson is still working hard to this very day.  He's been on The Orville, Californication, and 9-1-1.

He also played Eddie Fion, leader of the Brujah in the short lived television series, Kindred:  The Embraced, based on White Wolf's Vampire:  The Masquerade RPG. 

Fellow heavy and horror vet, Jeff Kober (The First Power, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead) played Daedalus, the Nosferatu coven head.

There was actually a half-assed poll version of "freakier looking killer: Brian Thompson vs. Jeff Kober" on one of my Facebook groups. Both their faces look like tragedy/comedy theater masks. Thompson is better known as the Cobra serial killer cult leader, but Kober was pretty damn creepy in The First Power.   I'll give Jeff Kober the nod just because his face reminds me of this guy from that weird Mark Twain Claymation cartoon.

mark-twain-mysterious-stranger-satan-ani

As Kober has gotten older, he just looks like some politician like he played on Sons of Anarchy. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:56 AM, odessasteps said:

YouTube served me an episode of later season Fantasy Island (with Julie instead of Tattoo) 

1. genie Francis wants to meet her real father, against wishes of her mom (Carolyn Jones in a wacky wig) and stepfather (William windom). One of the possible fathers is Alan hale. 

2. Edward Winter is an archaeologist who wants fame. Rourke gives him an ancient dagger, but John Carradine and his friends have other plans. 

this could be a @piranesispecial.

There is no way that the sperm of ALan Hale could produce Genie Francis. And with that I'll just let you settle into the idea of "the sperm of Alan Hale."

16 minutes ago, piranesi said:

There is no way that the sperm of ALan Hale could produce Genie Francis. And with that I'll just let you settle into the idea of "the sperm of Alan Hale."

Thank God she favors her mom, right?

Ready Or Not was a blast. And yeah, it is definitely a horror movie. 

Spoiler

The family sold their souls to Satan for their fortune FFS, of course it's a horror movie. And it has GALLONS of blood spraying everywhere. I could be wrong, but at the end they show a flash of "Mr. Le Bail" and I'm pretty sure for the half second he was shown it was Tom Savini sitting in the chair. Nothing in the credits but it was either him or James Mitchell saying hello from the Undead Realm. 

It's also really funny too. Each family member has their own personality quirks and even the kids end up being evil little bastards. Poor Samara Weaving deserves a medal for all the hell she goes through in the film, especially the scene in the stable involving a fall, a climb, and... a nail... heh heh. Also, I almost had to do a double take when Andy McDowell showed up in the cast.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

The Outsider is slowing turning into an extended episode of The Night Stalker and it's great.  Holly Gibney is Karl Kolchack with savant syndrome. 

I find her Holmes-eque "remove the absurd and whatever facts are left, however outlandish, must be true" acceptance of the nature of the Outsider to be very refreshing.  Proper research and deductive reasoning allows the fantastic to pass the sniff test of reasonable skepticism.

If it walks and talks and acts like a boogeyman, it's a boogeyman.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I’ve been bowled over by The Outsider’s ability to add so much stuff not in the book, like entire episodes, and it all is totally in keeping with the spirit of King’s work, it’s all a logical extension of it, and it could have or should have been there in the first place. 

A little further down the King family tree, the AMC series based on Joe Hill’s NOS4A2 is really good and I can’t wait for a new season. It’s a great balance between the family drama elements and the horror, and Zachary Quinto is an excellent villain. 

• Like 1