DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Spiral: From the Book of Saw

This is the one with Chris Rock and Samuel L. Jackson

Basing it just on the trailer alone, it looks like it is more in the "thriller" vein like a Se7en than pure horror but I am putting it here anyway

Oh and NSFW due to language

It looks really cool, and stylish. I’m still not buying Chris Rock in these tough guy roles he’s booked himself into recently. Age has not given him any grit whatsoever like it has Brad Pitt, and other contemporary actors. I sure hope Jackson’s part isn’t short in this. Although it would be one hell of a coup if the twist is Jackson is really “Spiral” or whatever the fuck they are calling the killer.

I'll go further and say that I just don't 'see' Chris Rock as an actor in anything serious. The only film roles I even identify him with are CB4 and Dogma; to me he'll forever be a comedian. Maybe if he had started doing serious stuff earlier?

Edited by Curt McGirt

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'll go further and say that I just don't 'see' Chris Rock as an actor in anything serious. The only film roles I even identify him with are CB4 and Dogma; to me he'll forever be a comedian. Maybe if he had started doing serious stuff earlier?

Without giving it away, he is in the film I have to review for Ernie Ladd month and it's not a comedy. 

Chris Rock was great in Top Five. Not sure if I see him as the "Vet Cop" but I don't think it'll matter once the shit hits the fan. I'm not a super fan of him or Saw movies, but the idea of both combined seems like they make each other more interesting.

ALSO Finished the last season of Channel Zero(I think @J.T. talking about it got me itnerested). Holy shit this is one of the best TV series. I fucking dug every season. Season 2 was my favorite. But there was shit in each season that felt really fresh and exciting. Each season also did a good job of mining its influences without going too far and looking like a totally cheap knockoff.  Killing me that there aren't more of these coming.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2020 at 3:58 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It looks really cool, and stylish. I’m still not buying Chris Rock in these tough guy roles he’s booked himself into recently. Age has not given him any grit whatsoever like it has Brad Pitt, and other contemporary actors. I sure hope Jackson’s part isn’t short in this. Although it would be one hell of a coup if the twist is Jackson is really “Spiral” or whatever the fuck they are calling the killer.

I think the closest that Chris Rock has come to a non-comedic role was Pookie the crackhead in New Jack City.

I cannot think of Spiral without thinking about:

which reminds me that an Uzumaki mini-series should be coming out sometime this year.   I need to do some more research on that shit.

Edited by J.T.

Uzumaki, the landmark horror manga that Eisner winner Junji Ito wrote and illustrated more than 20 years ago, is being adapted into a four episode miniseries in Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim programming block.

Uzumaki will premiere on Adult Swim’s Toonami in 2020.

It will air in 2020 on Adult Swim's Toonami block before its Japanese premiere. This is the fourth time Cartoon Network, as an entire network, was directly involved in production of a Japanese anime, with The Big O, IGPX, and FLCL all receiving some form of animated production that was backed by the network.

FUCK YEAH, IT'S COMING ON ADULT SWIM~! 

Only a four-parter though.  That'll have to stay on my DVR until the DVD comes out.

And it's premiering in the US before Japan.  That's kind of a big deal.

Edited by J.T.

The same guy that composed the score for Hereditary also wrote the incidental music for this series.

Yeah.  I'm all in.

Oh, and some good homie was cool enough to stealth post Uzumaki (2000) to YouTube, so watch it before the Content Nazi's take it away.

It starts off pretty strong but then slides into a silly collage of shock gore gags that are more comical than scary despite the effectively creepy atmosphere.   There is an amusing cameo of sorts where the manga's creator, Junji Ito, appears on a wanted poster on the wall of the town's police precinct. 

I kinda hate the ending since the producers didn't want to wait until Ito actually finish his story arc in his manga before making the movie.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:19 PM, jaedmc said:

ALSO Finished the last season of Channel Zero(I think @J.T. talking about it got me itnerested). Holy shit this is one of the best TV series. I fucking dug every season. Season 2 was my favorite. But there was shit in each season that felt really fresh and exciting. Each season also did a good job of mining its influences without going too far and looking like a totally cheap knockoff.  Killing me that there aren't more of these coming.

Yeah, I am sad about the cancellation, but Nick is moving on to better things including a Chucky adaptation for Syfy.

The writing each season gradually improved in quality with every season and I really like how the stories always managed to keep an air of chthonic horror about them while keeping the stories fairly personal. Some terrors are best left unexplained.

There was always an air of family or relationship dysfunction that kept the protagonists from effectively dealing with the menace and in some cases, the menace was actually a symptom of that dysfunction.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

The Town That Dreaded Sundown is on Comet now (I tried to record it before and failed) and it looks like a hell of an early slasher. The lunatic with the bag on his head just tied a buck knife to the end of a trombone (!) and stabbed a girl to death with it. The '40s setting is effective, with old cars, muddy roads, police procedural voiceover, and the killings having more or less occurred in real life giving it kind of a documentary feel. It'll be on again at 11 AM on Monday if anyone wants to DVR it... successfully, I hope. 

EDIT: There is a sick slo-mo scene in this with Ben Johnson trying to shotgun the killer under the cars of a running train through the opposite side that is directly ripping off The Wild Bunch. It's awesome. BTW, apparently they play this film in Texarkana (where the murders occurred) for public viewing annually. Bizarre. 

Well shit... here's the whole movie for you. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I watched Society for the first time. I liked that it’s essentially a paranoid thriller until the last twenty minutes or so when all hell breaks loose. It’s not perfect by any means, but the effects rule and the social commentary is more relevant now than it was when it was made. 

• Like 1

From Bloody Disgusting: 

We broke the news back in September that Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead, Don’t Breathe) is producing a new take on Tobe Hooper’s The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for Legendary, and Variety reports today that the writing and directing team has been put into place.

Ryan and Andy Tohill (The Dig) will direct the reboot, written by Chris Thomas Devlin.

“The Tohill’s vision is exactly what the fans want,” Alvarez said in a statement published by Variety. “It’s violent, exciting and so depraved that it will stay with you forever.”

I'm not sure the fans want another Chainsaw at all but whatever