DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Comet has quite the lineup today. Creature is finishing up now followed by the immortal Squirm (which I've already DVR'd. WORMS~!), The Island of Dr. Moreau from '77 with Burt Lancaster and Michael York, Cellar Dweller, Witchboard, MOTEL HELL (fuck yes), Lemora: The Lady Dracula, and The Bat People. We'll see how much editing Motel Hell gets. It still ruled in the version I saw Joe Bob host on TNT as a kid. Lemora is supposed to be an art-house sleeper so I'm DVRing that too.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Okay, The weird shit in The Outsider is starting to kick off with the most recent episode, Dark Uncle.

The introduction of Holly Gibney into the narrative was note perfect.  The conversation scene in the bar between Holly, Alec and Ralph was fucking brilliant with Ralph's intolerance for the unexplainable clashing with Holly being a living embodiment of the unexplainable.

Edited by J.T.

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently Color Out of Space was the beginning of a Lovecraft trilogy between Richard Stanley and SpectreVision. The next one is gonna be The Dunwich Horror. 

If the last one is The Shadow Over Innsmouth or The Dreams In The Witch House, I'm good.

Funny how we were talking about Lovecraft yesterday.

Spoiler

I went to see Underwater after work to cheer myself up from having to put down my mom's beloved Yorkie on Monday and the movie is pretty much a modern version of The Call of Cthulu.

The mining rig has the misfortune to be drilling in the general location of R'lyeh and the idiots somehow manage to wake up Cthulu.  The humanoid creatures that attack the crew are Deep Ones and eventually Cthulu himself comes to see what the fuck is up.  

It's not an entirely horrible film, but it's not very good either.   The whole payoff is when you realize that it's fucking Cthulu that is the big bad.

I'd probably wait for this thing to hit Redbox or something.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Another trailer for The Lodge

Directed by Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala who did Goodnight Mommy and who are clearly not right in the head

Funny you should bring this up a week after Goodnight, Mommy debuted on Tubi.

Yes, they are both a bit touched.

I got Shudder recently, and for the price it’s definitely worth it. Some stuff I’ve watched so far:

Amsterdamned - This absolutely rules. I put it on as a time killer expecting maybe a fun eurotrash slasher, and it is, but it’s so much better written and executed than any movie about a killer scuba diver has any right to be. Imagine a giallo made by someone who just watched a double feature of Jaws and Lethal Weapon. It’s from the Netherlands, but even the dub is really good, as the primary actors are English speakers and could ADR their own dialogue.

Wolfguy: Enraged Lycanthrope - Oh boy. I was instantly sold on a Sonny Chiba werewolf movie. Somehow it remarkably manages to be a werewolf movie without an actual werewolf in it and is still rad. Headscratchingly, the manga it’s based on does have actual werewolves in it and the movie elects to leave them out, but no bother.  It packs a labyrinthine plot involving rock bands, the Yakuza, crooked politicians, Japan’s CIA, telekinesis, drug addiction, genocide, and  Oedipal themes into 86 wild minutes. In a way it’s essentially an X-Men movie. Its stylishly directed and the score is wonderful, like a funkier version of something you’d hear from Goblin. 

Creepshow: The Series - This started off a bit bumpy for me, but I’m glad I stuck with it. One of the best anthology horror series in recent memory that feels like a legitimate successor to not just the original movies, but also the earlier Amicus horror anthologies also influenced by EC comics. 

Deadbeat at Dawn - I don’t know if anyone’s done more with less than fearless guerrilla filmmaker/star Jim Van Ebber. He made a badass action movie with a shoestring budget in Dayton, Ohio of all places. It’s one grody picture, with some of the most disgusting locations ever put on film. The shuffling shaggy dog plot gives it a twist on the tried and true revenge narrative, and the amateur stunt show that makes up the action sequences is breathtaking in its controlled recklessness. Taking four years to make, it probably suffered from being finished after the grindhouse cinema that inspired it was passé. 

Tammy and the T-Rex -  Occasionally I’d bring up to fellow garbage movie lovers the existence of a film made by the people behind Mannequin and Mac and Me about Paul Walker wooing Denise Richards while his brain is trapped inside a giant robotic T-Rex. We’d never gotten around to watching it, and I had no idea until recently that it had been heavily edited for its initial release to get a PG-13. The recently restored “gore cut”  that reinserts the scenes of the T-Rex eviscerating people is a fun curio piece, but it’s still a pretty big piece of shit. I can’t imagine how dreadful it would be to sit through the redacted version. All that would be left is sexism, homophobia (you can feel the Mannequin influence with an absurd Hollywood Montrose knockoff) and Terry Kiser doing some world class mugging. It was certainly a strange time for high concept romantic comedies. If you’re looking for something in this vein, try Deadly Friend, which is hilariously the opposite scenario where a movie aimed at kids had a ton of gore inserted into it at the studio’s insistence. 

I also watched the final season of the fantastic Channel Zero. I really hope Syfy changes it’s mind and goes forward with another season or Shudder picks it up as an original series. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, (BP) said:

Jim Van Ebber.

Van Bebber. 

As far as sexism and homophobia in Tammy and the T-Rex, I've still only watched the end and enough to make sure the gore was in the cut that Showtime aired, but if you're watching stuff like that and the above, you might be looking in the wrong places for social consciousness. Not to excuse it, but hey.

• Like 2

This is like the third week in a row that the subject of Tammy & The T-Rex has come up.  I think I teased Fowler last week about his defense of Denise Richards non-existent acting ability and had to cede the point that she has had role in at last three movies worth watching.

Tammy & The T-Rex NOT being one of them unless you're a sucker for the last fifteen minutes of near-cheesecake at the end of the movie.  If that's the case, you're better off watching Wild Things.

I will check out Amsterdamned on that sterling recommendation.  It's been sitting in my Watch Later queue for a while now.

And yeah, the Creepshow series and Wolfguy both fucking rule.  They also had me at Sonny Chiba and Werewolf..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I'm part of a B-Movie/cult film group on Facebook. The guy (that runs it) scorched his shorts when Tammy and the T-Rex was announced as a surprise Vinegar Syndrome release back in November or whenever. I actually caught a few of the gory bits during the party scene on one of Shudder's live streaming channels a few hours ago. Alas I only have room in my heart for Carnosaur even though I'm sure this was trying to be something much quirkier than a Jurassic Park rip-off.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

I finally caught Ti West's The Sacrament (now known as Eli Roth presents The Sacrament) on Tubi last night and found it to be rather good.   it is basically a neo-exploitation flick using the 1978 Jonestown Massacre as a template.

It is presented in found footage format, but it is far too polished and slick for that genre so it may kill your sense of immersion. 

West does an excellent job of ratcheting up the tension until bad shit starts happening all over the place and the horror that unfolds is brutal and totally unapologetic as it should be, otherwise you betray the victims of the actual event.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's the best found footage film I ever saw. Gene Jones is super creepy and the slow burn works perfectly.

The scene where the hold the interview with Father is ridiculously tense and great and just proves my point that West directs this thing a little too well. 

Most Found Footage films have an air of awkward sloppiness to them that makes them seem more authentic.  It feels more like real life captured on tape.

The Sacrament is far too skillfully directed for it to really feel like random events that just happened to be caught on film.   I do admire how West is never afraid to commit to a story, no matter how horrifying it might be.  He pulls no punches when all hell breaks loose and continues to prove that man is still the most terrifying monster of them all.

The scene where:

Spoiler

Caroline doses her brother, Patrick, with the death Flavor-Ade.

was particularly jarring.  Ti West gives zero fucks about your sensitivities and it is fucking gteat!

Edited by J.T.

Speaking of Ti West and his homie, Joe Swanberg, who also appears in the film, I noticed that the entire V/H/S anthology trilogy (if you can call it that) is now available on Tubi.

Edited by J.T.

Yikes!  The Turning is barely above 10% Rotten at RT.  I probably would've have gone to see it anyway as Finn Wolfhard has a very punchable face for a kid and there are certainly better cinematic versions of this classic ghost story than this movie, especially The Innocents (1961) which is one of the best ghost movies ever made not named The Haunting or The Devil's Backbone.

Edited by J.T.

So, the 2016 horror anthology, Patient Seven, is now available on Tubi.  I am a sucker for horror anthologies so I decided to check it out.

The metastory linking the shorts is pretty lacking, but this movie does give you an excuse to watch several of the strongest and most familiar horror shorts in recent memory in one shot and also provides Michael Ironside plenty of time and opportunity to chew on lots of scenery.

The shorts in the film (which most of you have probably seen already) are:

• The Visitant (starring Amy Smart from Crank)
  • The Sleeping Plot
  • The Body (featuring Alfie Allen / Theon Greyjoy from GoT)
  • The Banishing
  • Undying Love
  • Death Scenes.
  • Evaded

The Sleeping Plot is adorably macabre while The Banishing and Undying Love are 100% awesome and heartbreaking.

I particularly enjoyed Death Scenes because I am a chump for a good vampire story.

Edited by J.T.

Oh and to reply directly to Curt's earlier comment. the question of the best found footage hororr movie I've ever seen is answered in the form of a two horse race between [REC} and NOROI.

The Sacrament definitely hot shotted into my Top 5 though.

Edited by J.T.

Watched Psycho Cop Returns the other day.

So much fun. 

I want to imagine that Rob Zombie's directorial sensibilities can be traced back to the very long stripper scene, but maybe his music videos pre-date that. Regardless it has a very House of a Thousand Corpses vibe.