DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes, that was one of my favorites and also the one with the flesh eating goo that surrounds the docks.

You should read Skeleton Crew, the SK legendary short prose compilation not named Night Shift. 

The short story, The Raft, is far superior than the Creepshow live action version,

• Like 1

Re-watched Lake Mungo on Amazon.  Fucking brilliant.  Not really a horror movie, but remarkably well made, well acted, and realized.  Found some new stuff going through it.  Amazing.  The director never made another movie and has more or less disappeared off the face of the earth.  No social media, nothing.  

It's a "documentary" about a girl who drowned in an accident, and the paranormal events surrounding her grieving family. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:34 AM, J.T. said:

You should read Skeleton Crew, the SK legendary short prose compilation not named Night Shift. 

The short story, The Raft, is far superior than the Creepshow live action version,

I'll second this.

• Like 1

Finally watched Us (U.S.!)last night. I think I'm glad I watched it at home because I had a very visceral reaction to the final act that would have been embarrassing in public. 

I can't put it into exact words yet, but the division of identity and the warping effect of compartmentalizing aspects of ourselves really spoke to this mixed race asian.   

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 4:52 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Re-watched Lake Mungo on Amazon.  Fucking brilliant.  Not really a horror movie, but remarkably well made, well acted, and realized.  Found some new stuff going through it.  Amazing.  The director never made another movie and has more or less disappeared off the face of the earth.  No social media, nothing.  

It's a "documentary" about a girl who drowned in an accident, and the paranormal events surrounding her grieving family. 

Lake Mungo is also available on Tubi, but it will be leaving soon. 

I second this recommendation.  Check it out.

Also, HBO's adaptation of SK's The Outsider has started off strong.  I expect the first few eps to mimic a police procedural.  The batshit insane stuff shouldn't kick in for a few more episodes.

Edited by J.T.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Is the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe still going to be a thing? I seem to remember them being concerned after The Mummy 

Yes, the so-called Dark Universe was announced DOA last January.  Universal is going to try to get traction on existing scripts and honoring existing contracts which is why we have an Invisible Man movie.

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Underwater did not do well in the box office

Domestically it did only $7 million opening weekend. And its budget is reported to be between $50 - $80 million

Putting it out on the same weekend as 1917 and with a SW movie still going strong was not the wisest move.

Then again, it is the beginning of the dump months season.  Maybe it was expected to bomb and will end up being tax write off fodder?

Speaking of dump months, The Turning comes out on the 24th.  Hopefully it won't suck, but tis the season for releasing shitty horror films.

Edited by J.T.

The cashier at Dick's said she saw it when I was picking up some stuff. I didn't even know it was out. I thought it was still "coming soon". She said she's really scared of water now. 

Thus ends our "Rando Cashier's Review" of Underwater.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

The cashier at Dick's said she saw it when I was picking up some stuff. I didn't even know it was out. I thought it was still "coming soon". She said she's really scared of water now. 

Thus ends our "Rando Cashier's Review" of Underwater.

Probably as glowing of a review as that movie will ever receive.

I'll probably go see a matinee with my daughter this weekend.  It's a bomb so at least we won't have to worry about a crowded theater, right?

I dunno. Oh, The Horror! liked it alright (compared it to Life), and it got 3 stars from Roger Ebert's site which was a surprise. Bloody Disgusting really liked it but that's no surprise. It's apparently pretty unrelenting and well-acted so it may end up a sleeper. 

Personally, I'm, uh, not a fan of dark water. Those murky monsters probably won't bother me but I'd prefer to see it on the small screen. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno. Oh, The Horror! liked it alright (compared it to Life), and it got 3 stars from Roger Ebert's site which was a surprise. Bloody Disgusting really liked it but that's no surprise. It's apparently pretty unrelenting and well-acted so it may end up a sleeper. 

I just hope there are some moments of camp and the movie doesn't take itself too seriously.  That was the charm from those late 80's to late 90's sea monster schlock classics like DeepStar Six, Deep Rising, and Leviathan.

Edited by J.T.

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I just watched One Cut of The Dead and it is so amazing. A Japanese Zombie Horror Comedy that is so innovative and incredibly well put together and pays off again and again. Made for 25,000 and earned back it's money a thousand times over and rightfully so. I can not recommend it enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's one I'm pissed I didn't get around to before I (momentarily) cancelled Shudder. So, if you have it, go dig it up there. From what I've heard you should go in as spoiler-free as absolutely possible on this one too. 

Indeed. I would say don't watch trailers, or read reviews. Just go in cold and experience it.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:29 PM, quackhell said:

Indeed. I would say don't watch trailers, or read reviews. Just go in cold and experience it.

What's special about One Cut of the Undead is that I knew what was up before I watched the movie, and the final act of the film was still incredibly exhilarating. I think it always will be. My wife and I cheered a lot.

Still among my favorite movies of 2019.

• Like 1