DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Well, I just figured someone ( @RIPPA ) had started this, but oh well.  

A QUIET PLACE: PART II

Starring Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe

Directed by John Krasinski

--

Those cute little sound monsters aren't the only scary things out there!

May as well carry this over to the 2020 thread.

The Wailing (2016) is currently on Tubi and it's amazing and completely soul crushing in a good way, so watch it.

The Grudge reboot starts its run in theaters this weekend.  

It sucks..  Skip it... Watch the original on Tubi while it's still available.

Underwater starts next Friday. 

Hopefully it won't blow goats.

Good shit I want to see this year:

Antebellum

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I out for lunch so I can’t post it but there is a trailer for the horror reboot of Hansel & Gretel 

Yep, it's on my 2020 to watch list.

I have not decided whether or not I want to see Do Not Reply.

I think I'd feel a bit icky watching teen girls in cheerleader outfits trying to evade a serial kidnapper psycho and this really does look like the retarded pedo distillation of the dollhouse plot from Pretty Little Liars.

Jerusalem's lot is being made into a miniseries  Based on the description in the link they're already making a number of changes from the story, which is disappointing as it's one of my favorite King short stories and is probably his biggest example of Lovecraft-worship. Hopefully it'll still be good.

• Like 1

Need some help finding a movie but unfortunately do not have a lot of info.  So let me set the stage. I was a kid at the time so we're talking something that was out in the 90's but no later than that.  

I'm home watching cable late at night so probably TNT or TBS but could have been another channel.  It's a slasher flick and as I remember it it's a guy with a mask and he chases down a woman outside.  It's dark,  he ends up strangling her with I believe a garden hose. 

That's all I remember.  It scared the shit out of me and I had trouble falling asleep.  I've done google searches and come up with nothing. 

On 1/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Jerusalem's lot is being made into a miniseries  Based on the description in the link they're already making a number of changes from the story, which is disappointing as it's one of my favorite King short stories and is probably his biggest example of Lovecraft-worship. Hopefully it'll still be good.

Speaking of Lovecraft worship, Lovecraft Country (notable EPs:  Jordan Peele, JJ Abrams) will debut on HBO sometime this year.

Edited by J.T.

Hm.  The only slasher movies I remember prominently where the killer wore a ski mask are Prom Night and Cry Wolf, but I don't recall anyone dying by strangulation in either of those movies.

The only strangulation murder via masked killer that really stands out in my mind is the one from Alice Sweet Alice.

I also remember a scene from The Town That Dreaded Sundown where a masked killer stalked female victims outdoors but again, I don't remember any strangulation deaths and I think the killer wore a simple pillowcase hood.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The only strangulation murder via masked killer that really stands out in my mind is the one from Alice Sweet Alice.

I also remember a scene from The Town That Dreaded Sundown where a masked killer stalked female victims outdoors but again, I don't remember any strangulation deaths and I think the killer wore a simple pillowcase hood.

Hm okay thanks for that.  Would these be movies that would appear on major cable networks in the 90s? 

Some of them came out in the 70's and 80's, so they were probably on cable by that time.

I did a google search on horror movie strangulations and some sick fucks have even compiled Best Of lists.

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Thanks @J.T. I will search through your suggestions.   Did anyone bother with The Grudge (2019) in here?  I assume this is a remake of The Grudge/Ju-On?   I heard it received an F CinemaScore.   That's hard to do. 

A friend of mine who reviews movies for a newspaper in Cali said it sucked.  It's almost a combination of the 2004 remake and the American sequel, The Grudge 3, since

Spoiler

The curse starts off in Japan and somehow ends up in America.

To it's credit, it is told in a non-sequitur manner like the original, but it has none of the suspense.  

You're better off watching Ju-On and Ju-On 2 on Tubi while they're still available.

It annoys me that I haven't been able to positively ID your movie.  Was it an actual slasher movie / serial killer joint or was this strangulation murder a random event in the film?

Edited by J.T.

I also immediately thought of The Town That Dreaded Sundown, but nobody was killed via strangulation.

I actually had one of these horror movie stumpers involving a killer in an S & M mask for years before I figured out what it was. It was called Blackout. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088816/ 

It really stuck with me because I walked in the room and saw the opening scene when I was 6 or 7 and it shows somebody finding a mother and children murdered in their home.  Of course, the murders don't occur onscreen and my imagination had built up the scene to be a lot more graphic than it was. It was a made for HBO film. I still haven't went back and watched the entire thing, but pulling it up on YouTube the scene really isn't grisly compared to other stuff. I'm sure it was much more of a mystery from the description of the movie.

Here it is on YouTube.  

• Like 1

Well, fuck.

I remembered that there was a garden hose strangulation murder in the 1980 joint, The Boogeyman.

The killer does wear a pantyhose mask at the start of the movie, but he's a homicidal ghost so that kinda disqualifies it since the killer in the movie we're trying to ID isn't a supernatural menace.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, fuck.

I remembered that there was a garden hose strangulation murder in the 1980 joint, The Boogeyman.

The killer does wear a pantyhose mask at the start of the movie, but he's a homicidal ghost so that kinda disqualifies it since the killer in the movie we're trying to ID isn't a supernatural menace.

Not necessarily..  I was trying to eliminate that from the equation but I'm going off memory and I was no older than probably 8-years old or something at the time.  There could be supernatural elements but the scene in question that is burned in my brain is very much a slasher type scene where a man tracks a woman and strangles her outside with like I said I believed to be a garden hose. It's dark outside,  it just stuck with me and I probably had a good nightmare or two. 

This happened to me before with the Native American that comes to life after the store owners are murdered but that was easier to track down. Again, I was young and it gave me nightmares. Still creepy to this day. 

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This happened to me before with the Native American that comes to life after the store owners are murdered but that was easier to track down. Again, I was young and it gave me nightmares. Still creepy to this day. 

Ah.  Old Chief Wood'nhead from Creepshow 2 is one of my favorite Creepshow movie entries. 

I think I like it because it reminds me of the old school horror comics from the 60's and 70;s that Creepshow is supposed to draw inspiration from.  

Back then, the monsters were more likely to serve as agents of vengeance or poetic justice rather than terrorize innocent people.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Ah.  Old Chief Wood'nhead from Creepshow 2 is one of my favorite Creepshow movie entries. 

I think I like it because it reminds me of the old school horror comics from the 60's and 70;s that Creepshow is supposed to draw inspiration from.  

Back then, the monsters were more likely to serve as agents of vengeance or poetic justice rather than terrorize innocent people.

See the Fleischer/Aparo Spectre books.

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yes, that was one of my favorites and also the one with the flesh eating goo that surrounds the docks.