DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Wrong Turn needed re-imaging?

Eli Roth's History of Horror on AMC+ is the best.  I am done with S1 and am working through S2.  It was produced by a lot of the people that made Horror Noire, so you will see a few of the guests and commentators in HoH that were in Horror Noire.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I stopped reading at Eli Roth

I was also skeptical, but I gave it a try since it wasn't a movie.  I was pleasantly surprised.  He plays off the other commentators very well.

The segment he has with Stephen King in the Vampires episode where they trash Twilight is particularly brutal and hilarious.  Stephen King is such a grumpy old man.

BACK IN MY DAY, NOSFERATU DIDN'T SPARKLE~!!!

They are not big fans of the Our Vampires Are Different trope.

Edited by J.T.

There are already like eight Wrong Turn sequels. I don't see why they didn't just make another instead of rebooting it. But any franchise that gets even the slightest bits of traction has to have at least three sequels, a prequel, a spinoff, then a reboot.

Speaking of remakes of dubious necessity, I decided to watch the new Castle Freak the other night. A good number of plot points got changed around (including the trope of the victims consisting of a bunch of thoroughly unlikeable twentysomethings) and a lot more Lovecraft references get thrown, including a Herbert West cameo. It's pretty bad, but in the spirit of Full Moon, it's so bad it's almost entertaining.

• Like 2

Huh. I guess that's a "Fangoria original" with a Fabio Frizzi soundtrack. They worked with Band on the last Puppet Master so no wonder.

The original was gross and depressing, but well made. 

Speaking of Fangoria originals I just found this: 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Paul W S Anderson is saying he wants to give Event Horizon the Snyder Cut treatment. Apparently the original cut was 130 minutes and far more extreme than the released version. But they stored all the removed footage in a Salt Mine or something.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, RIPPA said:

30 Coins

8 episodes on HBO Max starting Jan 4

HBO is billing it as a "Thriller" but yeah... it belongs here

This is very much my shit. Indiana Jones style relic hunting meets horror? The push I need to get HBO Max (that and watching the Perry Mason reboot with my dad) has arrived.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:04 PM, AxB said:

Paul W S Anderson is saying he wants to give Event Horizon the Snyder Cut treatment. Apparently the original cut was 130 minutes and far more extreme than the released version. But they stored all the removed footage in a Salt Mine or something.

Den of Geek had an excellent article on Event Horizon's lost footage.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/exploring-the-deleted-footage-from-event-horizon/

Sadly, he probably won’t get the chance to release a director’s cut, since the film came out prior to the rise in special edition DVDs. The unused footage was packaged off to a Transylvanian salt mine for storage, so when he came looking for the footage it was in such poor shape it was no longer usable. Anderson himself has recently reaffirmed this, seemingly dashing any hope of the lost footage re-emerging from a black hole, like the titular ship itself. 

Content from the deleted footage includes backstory about DJ's body scar, more instances of the evil force manifesting the fears of the crew, tons of gore, full body shots of Sam Neil's demonic form, and of course there was an extended version of the first crew's video log which had a lot more cannibalism and sex.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 3:36 PM, RIPPA said:

David Gordon Green is in talks to directed the Blumhouse Exorcist sequel

He is quite the busy Horror dude lately.  There's still two more Halloween reboots coming out and he's also been rumored to have been directing some of the episodes of the Hellraiser limited run series that Danny McBride wanted to produce for HBO.   I think that project is now on hold since Clive got the rights back for that IP.