DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

I think the issue might be that Halloween 4 is an entirely bloodless movie (maybe there was a trickle when he sticks his thumb in the guy's forehead, I don't remember) and they just missed it. It is very brief. But yeah that is true. 

It has amazed me in the last couple years that they have finally figured out they can blur nudity without removing scenes (see The Wolf of Wall Street), and let people say 'shit'. Teenage me would be shocked, even though I grew up with the South Park shit episode. That aired and it still took over a decade to catch on. 

What is really really ridiculous is the Evil Dead remake which has a literal blood shower airs almost uncut but they took the final kill out of Friday the 13th.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Just watched the Frank Langella Dracula. It's not bad, but no great shakes either. Langella tried to play up the sexiness but doesn't really make much of an impact aside from a couple of good lines. The story is chopped up as everyone was wont to do then (besides the Louis Jourdan BBC version) but it has some fun additions, like the demise of Dracula.

Spoiler

They fight in the bowels of a ship headed to Romania with Drac and Lucy hiding; Dracula ends up impaling Van Helsing with his own stake but a hook tied to a winch gets stabbed into Drac's back and he's dragged up through the floor to the sails to burn to death in the sun. Then his cape flies off, looking like a giant bat, and Lucy smiles like he got away.

Sir Laurence Olivier plays a good Van Helsing, emphasizing his Dutch origin. The coolest part is still the one Stephen King raved about in his Danse Macabre. Lucy appears in an underground tunnel beneath her grave in some fairly creepy makeup. It's not as terrifying as King made it up to be but it's still neat. The red eyes on her and Lucy are an especially good touch. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Control said:

You know, a lot of 80s horror movies have this weird aesthetic, where if you got rid of the nudity and gore, the acting, costuming, and score would suggest that you’re watching a family film.

The production history of Deadly Friend supports this theory.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 10:28 PM, Control said:

Horror movies I’ve watched this month (asterisk if it’s a rewatch):

Trog

Let’s Scare Jessica to Death

Daughters of Darkness

Dracula A.D. 1972

Season of the Witch

Theater of Blood

The Crazies

It’s Alive

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre*

Deathdream

The Hills Have Eyes

Humanoids from the Deep

Wishmaster

One Cut of the Dead

Child’s Play*

Save the Green Planet

I’m probably missing one or two.

judging from the first twelve I'd say you've got Criterion Channel...

Let's Scare Jessica To Death might be the most underrated horror movie ever...

• Like 2

Re: Barker, It's shameful to see people still trying to do Books of Blood stories and failing (see new film Books of Blood, or don't actually). I wish someone would bankroll an anime company to do unedited versions of them with their scripts being the stories chapter and verse. Can you imagine how crazy "In the Hills, the Cities" would be? 

Too late, I watched Books of Blood last weekend.

How many people prefer Hellraiser 2 over the original? While the sequel expands the lore and retains the same gross and screwed up qualities, it doesn't feel quite as nasty as watching Frank regenerate every layer of skin in that dirty attic. Then there are the Cenobites whose actual screen time and presence in the original (or lack thereof) is similar to all the blood people imagined getting spilled by Leatherface in the original TCM.  It's been pointed out numerous times on here, but in the original, the Cenobites are just peripheral players while "Frank bones well enough to be summoned back from hell" is the actual plot catalyst. The Cenobites really come into focus in the sequel. I prefer the sequel because there is more to digest while also having plenty to be disgusted by. 

I still haven't watched Hellraiser 3. It was directed by the same guy that did the Waxwork movies. I have a hard time believing anything is a shittier sequel than Waxwork 2. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

Having just finished watching Hellbound, I definitely don't like it as much as the original. It's still gross and fucked up, but that part feels more perfunctory because it's expected.

I do find the ideas behind that version of hell fascinating.

I've seen a couple of the later sequels, but this was the first time I ever watched 2, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen 3 or 4 either. But I'm gonna try to go through all ten. We'll see if I make it ?

Three is a solid enough Horror Sequel, where you get a few new innovations and fun kills and absolutely nothing else of worth. After that I would bow out and admit defeat. 

Hellbound is really good and underrated, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than the first one. 

Hellraiser 3 is, uh... Fine I guess. Pretty generic, and Pinhead is now just another horror monster. 

I did love his "I will enjoy making you bleed, and I'll enjoy making you enjoy it" line though.

37 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I still remember ebert's review of it where he said you could show it on a loop and come in and out at any point and if would be the same thing.

I think that was 2, not 3.

Which, 3 is way more coherent than 2, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

#16 Jason X

This was....better than Jason Goes to Hell. Those SFX were hilariously bad video game quality and I kind of enjoyed it. Best part was Lexa Doig being the lead gal. Best line "Guys It's okay he just wanted his machete back!"

Best moment was them seemingly blowing up an entire space station that I assumed had hundreds(thousands) of people on it, and being like...oops.

#17 The Boy

This is the one with that gal from Walking Dead babysetting a doll. Weirdly better than I thought. My son picked this one out. The trailer made it look pretty dumb, so I never watched it. Apparently it's only slightly dumb. The abusive boyfriend that was needed to start the climax kinda felt bogus to me. Like he was just needed for a kill count. I would actually recommend this to anyone who thought it looked awful, because it actually has some creative moments that I quite enjoyed. Not great, but a bit of a pleasant surprise this holiday.

#18 Freddy vs. Jason

The appeal of the old Freddy movies was in part due to the artistry of the practical effects. At least if the script was bad you could see the love and passion in the gore and wild creations. Unfortunately there is no soul in the FX we get here.

We also get a fake Jason Mewes who kind of stumbles in halfway to become a main supporting character. Like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back must've come out in the middle of production and some one said put that kinda guy in the movie. Should've just got the actual Jason Mewes.

GINGER ALERT. Katharine Isabelle who played Ginger in Ginger Snaps is in this. I forgot all about that. She's easily the best actor in the movie, but gets the shittiest most tension-less death in the movie. They could've done that same concept and made it so much more interesting. She deserved better.

It's kind of fun that the show down becomes the equivalent of a 9 year old mashing Freddy and Jason action figures together. There's some straight up classic kungfu cinema style happening in the end.

Side note, was anybody else on-line in the late 90's hunting down Freddy/Jason scripts? I used to read them shits all the time. This is one of the least interesting versions of this movie they could have done.

#19 The Haunt

Part of Joe Bob's Halloween show. This one is a funhouse gag reel kind of movie, by the writers of A Quiet Place. In fact I think two or three moments in this movie are recycled for A Quiet Place. This is way better than I ever thought it was going to be. My only beef is the oily hallway. I want to believe they had a better idea for that, but couldn't pay it off due to budgetary reasons. Otherwise, it was pretty lame.

#20 Hack-O-Lantern

Oh shit this was special. I said, "Hahaha, that guy is like Mac's Dad(From It's Always Sunny) if he were 20 years old." What I meant was that the character Tommy was what I imagined Mac's Dad to be like in his early adult hood. After a couple of scenes I realized...wait...that actually is Mac's Dad.

Just an absolute mad house of lowbudget horror. If you can watch this with friends looking for a laid back goof off kinda movie, do so.

#21 Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Jesus this was great. What a score. What a strange dream like horror film. I shouldn't have put this off for so long. Added to my list of classics.

#22 Hubie Halloween

I really enjoyed this. It was pretty sweet getting to see Sandler lovingly reference so much of his past. Not all the jokes work, but I laughed more than enough to justify watching it. Maya Rudolph steals all her scenes. She should be in so much more.

#23 Vampire Circus

Hammer Vampire movie so the mood and vibe is on point. My big complaint is the cool vampire at the beggining goes on ice for almost the entire film, and is replaced by his lame ass cousin.

this movie also includes a fucking amazing shot of a strong man getting shot by a rifle. They actually show his back exploding form the squib. Great stuff.

#24 Lake of Death

Norwegian horror film about people hanging out in a cabin in the woods. Lifted a lot of shots and moments from other famous movies. Has a couple of interesting bits, but ultimately weak shit. Once the shit hits the fan the characters start to unravel, but then don't seem to take what's going on seriously anymore. Just a disappointing mess.