DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Well Go USA has officially set the U.S. release date for director Yeon Sang-Ho’s highly-anticipated Train to Busan sequel Peninsula. Selected as one of the 56 titles for the 2020 Cannes Film Festival, the South Korean zombie thriller is scheduled to arrive in 150 theaters across the U.S. and Canada on Friday, August 7. In addition, Deadline is bringing word that Shudder has successfully acquired the exclusive streaming rights for the sequel which they’re planning to debut in 2021.

• Like 2

And before JT posts it here ? - Curt already mentioned that Halloween Kills, Candyman and Forever Purge have moved to 2021 in the other thread

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And before JT posts it here ? - Curt already mentioned that Halloween Kills, Candyman and Forever Purge have moved to 2021 in the other thread

My daughter texted me from work about Candyman's new delayed release.  She's pretty angry.

I'm also bummed about Halloween Kills.  The Carpenter reclamation of his franchise was heading in the right direction.

Edited by J.T.

Hey everybody, have you heard the news? SHUDDER HAS RENEWED THE LAST DRIVE-IN FOR A THIRD SEASON!!  Plus, on Friday, August 14th there’ll be a Last Drive-In “summer sleepover” double feature...more details to come!

• Like 2

yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

So since there's no Joe Bob currently and that was me and my wife's quarantine date night,  we've decided  to do our own double features every Friday. We take turns secretly picking the movies and then give the other a clue during the week. First week I did MANDY and THE MAUSOLEUM.

This week I'm sure I'm going with Elvira Mistress of the Dark. Trying to figure out what I want to pair with it, but the movies I come up(1988 Blob) with aren't on any streaming services(I hate renting).

That was on the table. I'm pretty sure I've gotten my wife to watch that one already.

Right now I'm leaning towards The Stuff. 80's Small Town America. With the Stuff we show corporations devour suburbia through manufactured conformity. With Elvira we show self-imposed small town conformity subverted by Elvira's cleavage. There's a funky food connection. The director of Elvira is James Signorelli who has produced hundreds of episodes of SNL, and Garret Morris is Chocolate Chip Charlie in The Stuff so there's that connection.

• Like 2

Okay so I lied.  Curt reminded me that demonically possessed Linnea Quigley shoving a tube of lipstick into one of her boobs from Night of the Demons might be just as big of a horror movie WTF? spot as the demonic Nazi stormtrooper dream from An American Werewolf in London.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, jaedmc said:

That was on the table. I'm pretty sure I've gotten my wife to watch that one already.

Right now I'm leaning towards The Stuff. 80's Small Town America. With the Stuff we show corporations devour suburbia through manufactured conformity. With Elvira we show self-imposed small town conformity subverted by Elvira's cleavage. There's a funky food connection. The director of Elvira is James Signorelli who has produced hundreds of episodes of SNL, and Garret Morris is Chocolate Chip Charlie in The Stuff so there's that connection.

There will never be two more effective caustic criticisms of mindless consumerism and corporate greed than The Stuff and Josie & The Pussycats.

Edited by J.T.

The Beach House 

coming out on Shudder

Looks like we got some serious body horror on our hands -- in fact, you might want to skip the trailer and just come in cold on this one. Trust that it's gonna be great.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I don't know what the fuck Evil Clutch is, but thank you, sir....thank you very much. I will definitely have to check that out.

The Beach House was a worthy entry alongside recent body horror movies. 

Spoiler

There was a transformation near the end that went full Color Out of Space.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

Evil Clutch is an Italian Evil Dead ripoff that Troma licensed. I rented it when I was in middle school from a video store down the street from my grandma's house. This is the video box. 

Evil-Clutch-Vhs-Rare-Horror-Rhino-Video-

She never paid attention to what I rented on vacation. That attic was privy to all kinds of filth -- I saw Andy Warhol's Frankenstein and 2000 Maniacs up there one summer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perempuan Tanah Jahanam / Impetigore

Joko Anwar's folk horror film that some people are calling the Indonesian Midsommar.  I'm not going to do that because it may set a high bar the movie cannot hurdle. 

I still have pretty severe expectations since a lot of the producers that worked on Goksung / The Wailing contributed to this film and Joko also directed  Pengabdi Setan / Satan's Slaves (a spiritual prequel to the Sisworo Gautama Putra (RIP) film of the same name) which was really good.

Should be available now on Shudder.  I've got some catching up to do since I haven't watched The Beach House yet.  I blame Ghost of Tsushima.

Edited by J.T.

And back to WTF moments in horror movie history, I completely forgot the homosexual phantasm tryst from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining where the ghost of one man is getting serviced by the ghost of another man dressed up like a dog.

You'd like to blame that on Kubrick, but that came straight from the novel.