DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

My wife says the same thing.

----------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention I also rewatched THE DEVIL'S REJECTS. For those not keeping up with my watching habits(hopefully that's everyone) I watched 3 From Hell a couple of months ago, and a week or so ago rewatched House of a 1000 Corpses. It seemed natural to just finish off the trilogy.

Like Corpses, I hadn't watched Rejects since it came out. At the time, I remember liking Devil's Rejects in general thinking Zombie had proved he could direct with nasty throw back of exploitation filmmaking.. Now after rewatching both, I like Corpses MORE and Devil's Rejects LESS. It's weirdly because of technique. To me Corpses takes a plot(Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and then puts it through a Rob Zombie grinder. It's messy and wild and unapologetic that way. Devil's Rejects feels like it's wearing it's cinephilia on its sleeve , like it's a response to people thinking this musician guy is a hack and how dare he step into our world. "Hey guys it's cool! Watch me stylistically quote the Wild Bunch climax for the opening of my movie."

So maybe the debate between the two comes down to plot vs. style.

I feel like I'm gearing up to write a book on Rob Zombie cinema.

This is what COVID-19 has done to us.

FWIW: Bill Moseley in one of the coolest dudes that I have ever met. When He, Edward Lee and I were judging the annual gross-out contest at a World Horror Con (contestants have one minute to read a scene from a short story or novel that they have written in an attempt to, well to "gross out" the audience. Lee and I became permanent judges after winning three years in a row with scenes from Goon our horror novel take on pro wrestling (see, I'm staying on-topic for the board). Anyway, Bill read the notorious corn-on-the-cob scene from Goon and brought the fucking house down. I'm sure that if you Google "corn-on-the-cob" and "Goon" you'll find it somewhere on the net. Don't say that you weren't warned, 'cause you were and by the co-author at that. 

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 1

The demon Nazi stormtrooper scene in AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON is superb.

Always disappointed that David Naughton and Griffin Dunne didn’t get a bigger break after this film—they’re very natural actors.

• Like 1

Naughton's career didn't really go anywhere but Dunne's is interesting. He's still working steady up to today and appeared in some pretty good films -- My Girl, Quiz Show, Dallas Buyer's Club, and he starred in After Hours by Scorcese (which I still haven't seen and am going to rectify tonight). 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 7:37 PM, Control said:

The demon Nazi stormtrooper scene in AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON is superb.

Always disappointed that David Naughton and Griffin Dunne didn’t get a bigger break after this film—they’re very natural actors.

Naughton had a prolific if quiet acting career in films, theater, and television after American Werewolf and he also had a Top 5 Billboard hit song for the sitcom he started in back in the day, so let's not mourn too much for him.

Griffin Dunne has also been a busy man.  He sees both sides of the business these days as an actor as well as a director and a producer.  He might not be proud of all of his directing accomplishments since his work on Movie 43 earned him a Golden Raspberry.

I think the demon Nazi stormtrooper scene is more a testament to the awesomeness of Rick Baker than it is a credit to anyone else.

DqhySZiX0AA0Gsx.jpg

The demon Zombie stormtrooper scene is probably the award winner for the most random WTF thing I have ever seen in a movie.

Second thing may be from Another 48 Hrs during the big chase where you see Kitten Natividad topless in a movie showing at a drive-in right before the bad guy bikers come tearing through the screen.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:58 PM, odessasteps said:

I remember Naughton first now from My Sister Sam. 

I knew for sure that you were going to post the intro credits for the television show, Makin' It.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They cut ties with him after Werewolf because he got naked in the movie ?

He got to do a nude love scene with Jenny Agutter.

Spoiler

km6ugm4flie01.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

David Naughton is full of win.  Fuck that sitcom.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Watched The Horror Show (above) again. It was a pretty middling Freddy ripoff, but had some decent effects and a lot of Lance Henriksen yelling and cursing, and Brion James cursing and laughing like a cartoon character. Someone other than me should go watch it and Shocker back to back and see which is worse. (BTW it also has an electricity theme like Shocker, so I'm not sure which came first even, or if it's just a coincidence.)

The dumbest part is 

Spoiler

the happy ending where the family is moving out of the house safe and sound with no mention of what transpired previously AT. ALL. No cops, no trauma, no frowns, no nothing. Laziest writing ever.

Actually this makes me want to watch the good version of either film which would be Prison. 

On 6/25/2020 at 7:32 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Found Near Dark last night and watched it again. It remains as great as ever. The line about how old Jessie is while he holds up that rather un-antiquated piece of armament is still great, as is the bar scene. Only bar scene off the top of my head that might beat it would be the one in Mean Streets, or maybe the entirety of Barfly. One thought about the film though: 

Hide contents

If you can cure a vampire from a blood transfusion I wonder if given the option at least Homer would have taken it so he could grow up. Maybe it's too late for vampires that are too old. And if that was a thing you'd think it might run through the vampire pipeline and they'd know about it. Just wild speculation anyway. 

I don't really need to see Lost Boys again, though I'm gonna see if I don't have a DVD of it secreted in the stacks somewhere; the Prime version is a rental-or-buy situation. My verdict though is gonna be a split decision exactly like Mark's: Lost Boys is more fun, Near Dark might be technically better. 

In my heart it's Lost Boys though. Nothing beats that last line.

That stretch of soundtrack during the bar scene is probably my favorite use of songs in any movie. Hell, Near Dark even got me to like a George Strait song; even though that's got less to do with George Strait than never giving a mule's patootie about anything remotely country western, or country and/or western. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 2

Watching PHENOMENA, which has plot elements straight out of a classic DOCTOR WHO: a lunatic killer, a kid who talks to insects, and a surprisingly robust part for a  chimpanzee.

Edit: wow the last 30 minutes of this movie are off the chain.

Edited by Control
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Betcha Dr. Who never had "Flash of the Blade" by Maiden pumping during a stalk-and-slash scene though ?

I actually put it at #3 in my 'favorite Argentos' list -- above Suspiria, which is some kind of sin, but Phenomena is just too fun. 

Naw, late 70s- early 80s-era Who didn’t even have the budget for Muzak.

I’LL BITE: what are numbers 1 & 2?

1. Inferno

2. Tenebrae

3. Phenomena

4. Suspiria

5. Deep Red (gained a far greater appreciation of this when I saw the original cut in the theater last year)

Admittedly I haven't seen the Animal Trilogy in a long time; Bird with the Crystal Plumage probably deserves to be up there. I'd also probably put The Stendhal Syndrome (his last good film*) over Opera. 

EDIT: * I liked Mother of Tears but it wasn't, you know, good. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Universal Content Productions has announced it's developing a limited true crime series inspired by EVIDENCE OF LOVE, the book written by Joe Bob's close personal friend John Bloom. Want to read it now? You can find the book via Open Road Media: https://openroadmedia.com/ebook/evidence-of-love/9781504042642

In Fabric is really really good.

My copy of Necronomicon should arrive from Amazon pretty soon.  I totally forgot that Brian Yuzna (Society) directed two of the segments.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1