DVDVR Message Board

2020 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Quiver Distribution has unveiled the first trailer for its upcoming documentary Time Warp Vol. 1: Midnight Madness, the first in a series of documentaries looking to explore the greatest cult classics of all time and the birth of the midnight movie.

The three-part documentary begins with Midnight Madness, which will dive into the cult genre with The Rocky Horror Picture Show to The Big Lebowski and everything in between, begins the trilogy’s celebration of the greatest cult movies of all-time by discussing the birth of the midnight movie.

The first volume will be hosted by Joe Dante (Gremlins), John Waters (Pink Flamingos), Ileana Douglas (Six Feet Under) and Kevin Pollak (Better Things) with interviews spread throughout the film from Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski), Pam Grier (Jackie Brown), Rob Reiner (This is Spinal Tap), Barry Bostwick (The Rocky Horror Picture Show), Michael McKean (Better Call Saul), John Turturro (The Jesus Rolls), Gary Busey (Predator 2), Jeff Goldblum (Thor: Ragnarok), Fran Drescher (Indebted), Penelope Spheeris (Wayne’s World) and Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show).

The second part of the documentary trilogy, Horror and Sci-Fi, will see the greatest cult horror and science fiction films of all-time studied in vivid detail, including groundbreaking classics like Night of the Living Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and sci-fi gems such as Blade Runner and A Clockwork Orange. The guest stars for the second volume, which is set to premiere in May, include Goldblum, Sean Young (Stripes), Joe Morton (Terminator 2: Judgment Day), Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange), Bruce Campbell (Ash vs. Evil Dead), Roger Corman, John Sayles (Lone Star), Mary Woronov (Charlie’s Angels), Ed Neal (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and Rob Zombie (House of 1000 Corpses).

The finale of the documentary series, Comedy Camp, will premiere in June and will dig deep into what makes us laugh over and over again with cult comedies and campy classics including Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Office Space, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Showgirls. Guest interviews include Gina Gershon (Riverdale), John Cleese (Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life), Ron Livingston (The Conjuring), Jim Gaffigan (The Jim Gaffigan Show), Fred Willard (Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy), Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), David Cross (Kung Fu Panda), Woronov, McKean, Kevin Smith (Jay & Silent Bob Reboot), Amy Heckerling (Clueless), Mike Judge (Silicon Valley), Peter Farrelly (Dumb & Dumber) and John Cameron Mitchell (Shrill).

Time Warp Vol. 1: Midnight Madness is set to debut on digital platforms and video on demand on April 21.

• Like 3

Kubrick By Kubrick

This is one of the things Tribeca would be putting online due to cancellation of the actual festival just no wonder exactly WHEN and WHERE

I went on an Amazon Prime music doc bender yesterday. 

Riot on the Dance Floor: The Story of Randy Now & City Gardens -- City Gardens was a venue for punk, New Wave, reggae, ska, hardcore, whatever was coming out in the '80s. It was a warehouse in the shittiest part of Trenton, NJ and E V E R Y O N E played there, from a young REM whos tour rider was four clean towels and a six-pack, to a Duran Duran who couldn't get booked, to the cream of the crop of US hardcore punk. Ween played a gig with Foghat there, for fuck's sake! And of course it was the textbook definition of an unsafe venue for all ages, from the Butthole Surfers nearly setting the place on fire to angry nationalist skins getting pissed at Wattie from the Exploited for insulting America and trying to beat them up and turn over their van. Randy Now, who was a local DJ and promoter for the venue, did his best to keep it running but ran afoul of too many lawsuits to avoid packing it in. Cool look at a never-to-be-repeated time in musical history. The Venom/Black Flag/Overkill gig story is worth watching this alone. 

The Mentors: Kings of Sleaze Rockumentary -- God, I was avoiding this, but I still wanted to see it. The Mentors are probably the worst band ever, not only for their "rape rock" misogynist/homophobic lyrics, but their atrocious songs. They could play well, but they wrote just the worst of butt rock to put their vile words to. At the same time, they were... kinda funny. It was all supposed to be a joke, though Sickie Wifebeater actually was known for being just that. Their leader was alcoholic scumbag Elton Hoke, AKA El Duce, who had them all don executioner hoods onstage. Hoke claimed to have been propositioned to murder Kurt Cobain for Courtney Love but he passed the job on to fellow musician Allen Wrench; days after telling this to the crew of documentary Kurt And Courtney he was found dead after being hit by a train... and after being dropped off at a store by Allen Wrench. The most surprising thing is that there was a black guy and even a woman in the band. Like a car crash it's hard to look away from this one, and sometimes hard not to laugh at it and with it either. 

Wacken -- About the gigantic heavy metal festival Wacken Open Air. Every year thousands of metalheads take the holy pilgrimage to this little town in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany for four days of booze, camaraderie and METAL. It is as big if not bigger than any of the huge music festivals held the world over every year and undoubtedly features the most passionate fans. Big names from all subgenres play and they even hold a worldwide competition where each country selects a band to play the small tent at Wacken, for a chance to win a contract with label Nuclear Blast Records. We talk to a group of women from the States, a couple goobers from Germany, a father and son duo, a band from China, and a gal from Taiwan who flew over solo for her third trip that year. If you're a metalhead you'll understand this one intrinsically and if not it's a nice peek into our subculture. 

Welcome to Your Funeral: The Story of Rigor Mortis Part One -- Rigor Mortis were a thrash metal group out of the Dallas-Fort Worth area who inexplicably got signed to Capitol Records after a young A&R gal fell in love with their demo. It was a bizarre occurance considering the only thrash band on a legit major was Metallica on Elektra. Not only that, but these guys were maniacs. All their lyrics were horror movie influenced and predated by just a sliver of time the birth of death metal, and in real life? They would take a swing at just about anybody apparently, with one insane story about late guitarist Mike Scaccia (later of Ministry) getting cut off at a bar and the band retaliating by throwing pool balls at everyone and beating up all the bouncers! Bass player Casey Orr went on to GWAR as well. The band itself did one classic LP and flamed out soon after, but that's covered in an apparently nonexistent part two. This one drags a lot and the mind-numbling drone of Pantera's Phil Anselmo as narrator might make this a hard pass anyway if you're not a big fan. 

Until the Light Takes Us -- An arty, interesting, detached look at the Norwegian black metal scene in the early '90s where a series of church burnings and murders occurred. It mainly follows the two divergent paths of OG scenesters Gylve Nagell, AKA Fenriz of Darkthrone, and Varg Vikernes, AKA Count Grishnackh of Burzum. Varg is (was) in jail for 21 years for murdering fellow musician and black metal god Oystein Aarseth, AKA Euronymous from Mayhem, and for setting multiple beatiful old Norwegian churches alight in a spree of arson. The camera gives an unnarrated, dead eye to the lives of both men. Fenriz chose the path of music instead of crime and continued to make many Darkthrone albums while Varg obviously did what he did, in the process turning into a neo-Nazi behind bars. He was eventually released and lives in of all places France. We're also informed of the various other crimes of the scene, like Faust from Emperor's murder of a gay man who propositioned him in Lillehammer, and the suicide of Per Ohlin, AKA Dead, also of Mayhem infamy. This is about the crimes way more than the music but it gives as much insight into how these people are the way they are as they allow you to. Varg is surprisingly forthcoming and seems intelligent, but completely bonkers, while Gylve seems to have some sense of humor and a regular life while still seeming somewhat bitter and distant. The members of Immortal and Hellhammer from Mayhem kind of pass everything off as "whatever", and Frost from Satyricon is shown at an art exhibit blowing fire on a bunch of paintings and then incredibly slicing up his arm and neck with a real knife in a performance piece, which might say more about these folks than anything else. Strange but fascinating film. 

EDIT: You can find Until the Light Takes Us for free on Youtube, and might want to check on the rest if you're interested.

Edited by Curt McGirt

A Secret Love

I am amused because one of the women played in the Women's Professional Baseball League (Think A League of Their Own) so the publicity info is all WHY DIDN'T THE MOVIE TALK ABOUT THIS?!?!?!?!

In a word, Norway. 22 years is the longest sentence in the entire country. Then again, I doubt many people do stuff like that in Norway anyway. The cell he had looked like a furnished apartment, btw, complete with laptop. At one point he disparagingly notes the call out for distribution of drugs (!) to the prisoners like it's a mental institution and you're due to get your dose.

There just was a pretty good Jeff Beck doc on TMC and now a New Order one playing. I neglected to mention I watched the Fat Wreck Chords doc on Prime as well during that binge. Apparently the Fat Mike (Fat Wreck president/singer-guitarist in NOFX) autobio is one of the most fucked up and depressing reads ever but the film is relatively fun. I am really not a fan of Fat Wreck's sound (and it is definitely one that Mike has intentionally molded, and tries to get out of his bands, despite all claims of diplomacy and lack of interference) besides the odd Propagandhi song and Masked Intruder, who I've been exposed to constantly from friends of mine/even seen live. That said they have always remained independent and fiercely so which I love. Probably the funniest story in it besides Propagandhi getting so pissed at the Punkvoter.org thing that they talked shit about Mike on their record (with other label heads telling him to shitcan them for it) is Mike getting dosed by one of the bands he just signed with a cocktail of drugs right before he had to go to his daughter's dance recital or something. He of course loved them for that despite it haha.

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 4/23/2020 at 8:25 AM, RIPPA said:

A Secret Love

I am amused because one of the women played in the Women's Professional Baseball League (Think A League of Their Own) so the publicity info is all WHY DIDN'T THE MOVIE TALK ABOUT THIS?!?!?!?!

My elementary school gym teacher played for the South Bend Blue Sox.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this advertised on Facebook, bought it, watched it, and loved it. It was nice to see my hometown band Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto represented and interviewed for a few segments in this.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The Alien doc Memory was solid. I wouldn't say it's quite as good as the totally exhaustive one that came with the five-disc boxset, but it works -- especially as a love letter to Dan O'Bannon, who deserves it. Whereas the other one took a bit of a dim look at him this one features his wife and is much more caring. I never felt like the guy got all the breaks he should have in his career and it seems like he was one of those permanent outsiders, so seeing this is nice. Something specifically interesting I found out here that I didn't know before is that O'Bannon suffered and eventually died from Crohn's Disease and that influenced his formation of the Chestburster and the Xenomorph's gestation process. 

Our Godfather was another I watched after finishing up with Gomorra Season 2. It's the true story of Tomasso Buschetta, mafia penetiti who snitched on some several hundred Cosa Nostra bosses and underlings in Sicily, setting off a wave of bombings and forcing him into moving and hiding with his family all over the globe for the rest of his life. This is told from the POV of his existing family who followed him through thick and thin everywhere. I don't know how much of a good man you can truly say he was but his family loved him deeply and vice versa and his repentance was on an epic scale. He not only cleared the way for the Maxi-Trial that locked up the worst of the worst in Italy but connected Sicilian relations to New York, which was invaluable to Giuliani (who knows where he went wrong) and the rest of the US prosecutors. You end up feeling worst for his family who never got to keep their friends or their identities for long, and in the case of his oldest son still not as he refused to have his full face on camera unlike the rest of the family. Whereas the Americans like Henry Hill could get away with it, the Sicilians never forget. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Holy forking shirt balls, The Last Dance is so so so fucking good. I wouldn't even call myself a basketball fan in the slightest, I mean, obviously I'd heard of Michael Jordan because I'm a human being who lives on planet Earth but I'd legit never heard the name Scottie Pippen until I watched this which might seem crazy but still. But some of the stuff Jordan used to do? Jesus, that was some Matrix type shit; dude seemed to walk on air.

Amazing, amazing documentary that makes me want to hunt out all sorts of basketball footage.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop

The Sheik was for a wrestling fan, great. As a documentary fan, it was pretty rote and by the numbers. It's hard not to love Sheiky Baby though, bubba. 

EDIT: And damn was Khos movie-star handsome when he was young! If the world was more enlightened back then he could have been a huge babyface. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Watched this a couple days ago and some really good stuff although a little short.  Especially being somewhat local as a Virginia guy.   The number of people that has come through there is pretty staggering.  Also of course one of the greatest high school coaches ever

Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don't Know Me is on Showtime right now and if you haven't seen it it's awesome. Even if you don't like R&B it's awesome (and very emotional, due to his eventual fate and comeback). Shep Gordon just told the story of how he got to be Teddy's manager: he came to a roll-call for new manager (after his prior one was shot to death by the Philly Black Mafia!) and didn't say a word. When Teddy picked him because of that he said the most outrageous thing possible. "All those guys out there are the best liars in the business, and so am I. But they don't get high. I do. I'll have your money there at the end of the night no matter how high you get. So, get your best drugs, your women, whatever, and let's see who falls first. Three days later Teddy dropped and I was his manager!" ?

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Spelling the Dream

You are probably thinking "But I have already watched Spellbound"

This focuses on Indian-Americans and their dominance of the competition

Lenox Hill

Those of us from New York know that name..

An intimate look at the lives of four doctors — two brain surgeons, an emergency room physician, and a Chief Resident OBGYN — as they navigate the highs and lows of working at the renowned Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. With extraordinary access and an unflinching eye, the series shows each physician’s struggle to balance their personal and professional lives and delves into each patient’s personal journey. From birth to brain surgery, each case offers a rare inside look at the complex, fascinating, and emotional world of medicine.

Technically the trailer is NSFW due to language and some surgery scenes.

Hits Netflix on June 10

I would also recommend watching LA 92 again if you want to see why some people aren't as confident about the George Lloyd situation as others.  Hell I didn't even know that the US Attorney General for Bush during these riots was William Barr.  Yes the same fucking guy 

• Like 1