DVDVR Message Board

2020 DOCUMENTARY THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/2/2020 at 2:37 PM, Log said:

McMillions is so fascinating.  You could not script better characters than the real people involved in this.  My wife and I keep cracking up at Jerry Columbo's brother and his wife.  The brother is so obviously a wanna-be mobster.  We were saying we can totally imagine him trying his ass off to get in the crime family when he was younger and the actual gangsters being so annoyed by him.  

Think the funniest part watching these people is that you can literally see his wife regretting almost every thing this wanna be is saying.   Almost like she didn't know in the beginning of this documentary was this was about.

• Like 2

So Undertaker and McCool were just shown on Raw swimming with a tiger in Myrtle Beach... were they really at that fucking cult leader's compound?! 

EDIT: HOLY SHIT THEY WERE. Myrtle Beach Safari. I'll be damned.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Finished Tiger King. 

Spoiler

I can't find it, but whoever said on here that they rated how they hated everyone on this series in descending order and wound up with Jeff on top and Joe on bottom is probably right, except for Doc Antle being right there with his fucking harem/cult. Jeff is a grifter and a scumbag and a snitch but Antle is brainwashing people. He's got to be on top. 

I wound up actually feeling sorry for Joe because he's so stupid. All these other people around him are guilty of serious felonies (Carole for sure had her dad push her husband out of an airplane over the Gulf of Mexico. The lawyer said it right on camera!) and Joe, while guilty of animal abuse, is mostly guilty of being a dumbass and a crazy person. Does he deserve to rot in prison til death for that? 

And just as an aside, if he had any brains he would have gone into the country music business. He actually wasn't too bad at that. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Finished Tiger King. 

Hide contents

And just as an aside, if he had any brains he would have gone into the country music business. He actually wasn't too bad at that. 

Spoiler

Not to destroy the illusion of Joe Exotic, but that's not him singing those songs: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/netflix-tiger-king-joe-exotic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is the bad thing about a lot these docs. A lot of times the creators will craft a narrative that they control to make it as sensational and entertaining as possible or push an agenda. I enjoyed the bizarre freakshow, but still had to take everything with a big grain of salt.

• Like 1

That would seem like an obvious truth. That's why I enjoy Wiseman's docs so much. I mean, he obviously controls the narrative via his selection and editing of footage, but it is about as close as you are going to get to objectivity. Never thought I'd be into a doc about dance rehearsals and the administrative tasks of a ballet company but damn if La Danse isn't one of my favorites.

Edited by Execproducer

We finally got to Tiger King last night, mostly because we needed something a little lighter to watch after the Benoit episodes of Dark Side of the Ring. 

I’ve never understood when people go on social media and say they want a certain celebrity to step on their throat or hit them with a car...but feed me to a tiger or throw me out a plane, Carole. ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

We finally got to Tiger King last night, mostly because we needed something a little lighter to watch after the Benoit episodes of Dark Side of the Ring. 

I’ve never understood when people go on social media and say they want a certain celebrity to step on their throat or hit them with a car...but feed me to a tiger or throw me out a plane, Carole. ?

Is there a way to put members of the board on some sort of watchlist?  This person is clearly crying for help, and we probably should get him the help he needs before they find the bodies in his basement.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

"Honey I'll feed the tigers, you go feed the fish."

• RIPPA unfeatured this topic

The Innocence Files

9 episodes starting April 15

The Innocence Files is executive produced and directed by Academy Award nominee Liz Garbus along with Oscar winners Alex Gibney and Roger Ross Williams. The series’ directing lineup also features Academy Award nominee Jed Rothstein, Emmy winner Andy Grieve and Sarah Dowland.

Finished watching the Netflix doc series Who Killed Malcolm X last weekend.  It was a little too long that probably didn't need to be in 5 parts but telling the story about the rise of Malcolm X, this falling out with the Nation of Islam especially in the Newark New Jersey area, and this assassination was very interesting.  The concept of Newark being a heavy Muslim city that believes in X's teaching so much but yet probably held one of the real killers and then acting like "you need to let it die" was kind of fascinating to me.  

I am not sure when it started but HBO is doing another docu series on the Atlanta 1979 serial killer Wayne Williams and his murderous spree.  Remember hearing a lot about this as a kid but never got the full story