DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TAKEOVER: Blackpool II

RIPPA

Sunday January 12

I think this is the full card

• WWE United Kingdom Champion WALTER defending against Joe Coffey
  • NXT UK Women's Champion Kay Lee Ray defending against Toni Storm and Piper Niven in a triple threat match
  • NXT UK Tag Team Champions Gallus (Mark Coffey & Wolfgang) defending against The Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson & James Drake), Imperium (Marcel Barthel & Fabian Aichner), and Mark Andrews & Flash Morgan Webster in a four-way ladder match
  • Tyler Bate vs. Jordan Devlin
  • Trent Seven vs. Eddie Dennis

The Takeover Prime Target was very good.  Especially the build up to the women's match where it is almost impossible to not root for Piper Niven to win the match.  Even Toni Storm who I don't believe is technically a heel comes off very unlikeable in the build up the match

WALTER not only shitting on Joe Coffey but the people of Scotland as drunken hooligans who wear kilts because they are smart enough to come up with tights was hilarious

On 1/11/2020 at 10:31 AM, hammerva said:

The Takeover Prime Target was very good.

I really didn’t care about Joe Coffey as a character before watching this, but damn this was a great special. They let everyone show their personality. These pieces are on such a different level than the “main roster” stuff. It’s really such a waste.

It also reminded me that Grizzled Young Veterans are low key maybe the best tag team in wrestling at the moment.

Before the Revival leave WWE I would love if we got Them against the Grizzled Young Veterans in at least a 20 min match just to see the Wrestling Chess game the two teams would play each other. 

I watched the Takeover Prime Target this afternoon and it is really Must watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dennis/Seven was the worst match on the show and still pretty darn solid.

The women's title match was easily the best women's match from the UK brand so damn good. Loved how they played out Toni still crazy to destroy KLR while also testing the friendship between her Piper. I only wish the finish was a pinch stronger.

Bate/Devlin was great and easily the best match Devlin has had on the brand. Saying that I still thought it was overkill with Bate kicking out of the avalanche Spanish Fly/Devlin Side combo.

The ladder match was great stuff and one of the best in a while. Still disappointed Imperium didn't win.

WALTER/Joe was good though maybe a bit much in what it took to put Coffey down. I like Coffey, but I'm never going to buy into as the same level as a WALTER/Bate/Dunne etc. The UE attack post match was a neat surprise though the response reminds me why I kind of hate UE. They are such contemptible douchebags yet loved by audiences. I know its not their faults per say, but its one of the reasons why I've been ready for the group to die despite liking 3/4 of them quite a bit.

Anyays great show all around, probably the best of the UK Takeovers so far. The women's title match, the tag titles match, and Bate/Devlin are all easy early MOTYCs.

• Like 2

Great show. Kay Lee Ray is always my most looked forward to and this match was the best, dug the whole build up to it and the execution was perfect. Some awesome spots all throughout and several killer looking dives. Loved the Storm Zero near fall and Toni's reaction to it. Dennis/Trent was a pretty cool match more of a sprint almost than the rest of the card, the wild toss to the outside should've been the finish. Bate/Devlin was insane, agreed it was by far Devlin's best, loved it aside from the weak top rope finish barely connecting, the match was filled with some crazy offense. Tag title match was fun outside of a few typically convoluted ladder spots, like let's all set up ladders but clearly not under the titles. Good somewhat surprising finish. Main event was another great WALTER takeover main. Never thought the result was in doubt but I like Coffey and he hung in there well.

• Like 1

I thought the Takeover was great.  Not sure why Joe Coffey was in the main event as I had never any expectation that he would win, but it was cool.  Tyler Bate feels like he should be the ideal babyface to build around -- I guess he's too short to ever do anything in proper WWE.  It's a shame.  

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Tyler Bate feels like he should be the ideal babyface to build around -- I guess he's too short to ever do anything in proper WWE.  It's a shame.  

This touches on one of the issues with NXT UK. It's supposed to be a developmental territory, but it's been running as a weekly Network special for what, two years plus? And Bate was crowned the first WWE UK Champion three years ago. In that time, how many wrestlers from the NXT UK roster have been called up to Raw or Smackdown? I believe the total would be... zero. How many have been promoted to be full time in NXT USA? Is it just Rhea Ripley? I think it is. So if this is a developmental territory, what are WWE developing them for? Because it's clearly not to be the future Wrestlemania headliners, or anything like that. 

And if it's not a developmental territory, if it's just a UK show for a UK audience, why hasn't it been on TV here until two weeks ago, and why wasn't the Takeover on BT Sport?

If it is just a UK show for  UK audience, that does explain why Joe Coffey was challenging in the main event. It's a fresh match. Bate vs Walter, Pete Dunne vs Walter, Severn Trent vs Walter, even Devlin vs Walter, those aren't fresh match ups to a UK wrestling fan. And the last thing WWE wants is for fans to come away thinking "that main event was just like their Progress match from two years ago but not as good".

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

This touches on one of the issues with NXT UK. It's supposed to be a developmental territory, but it's been running as a weekly Network special for what, two years plus?

I would say the issue is more the assumption NXT UK is supposed to be a developmental territory. Its been its own brand pretty much since it properly started towards the end of 2018.

And if it's not a developmental territory, if it's just a UK show for a UK audience, why hasn't it been on TV here until two weeks ago, and why wasn't the Takeover on BT Sport?

Because WWE does a shit job of getting decent deals in the UK. The lack of tv was not from a lack of trying.

. In that time, how many wrestlers from the NXT UK roster have been called up to Raw or Smackdown?

Full time, then zero. On occasion, probably a dozen or so.

How many have been promoted to be full time in NXT USA? Is it just Rhea Ripley?

Pete Dunne is in NXT USA full time. Rhea was in NXT USA in the first place. She only went to UK to take advantage of her being over as heel due to Nox's injury in the second MYC.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 2

Walter has to be the best wrestler in the company right now. The match layout wasn't great with the unnecessary ref bump and very unnecessary Coffey visual pin, but Walter himself was fantastic. I loved how he winced in pain after he leveled Coffey with a chop even though he was acting like Coffey's strikes fired him up. Little things like that turn a standard spot into something memorable. At least after all the stuff with the ref bump, he thoroughly destroyed Coffey and made him tap to a headlock. It was a nice that it was different from the Bate match, which had more of an underdog survival energy. This was just too big powerful guys trying to wear each other down, and the slightly bigger and more powerful guy with better technique eventually won out decisively. The UE beatdown was well timed and well done.

• Like 1

This Takeover was fantastic all around. It would have won the special of the year if it was held last year.

Bate /Devlin was ridiculously good. It's gonna be one of those matches that everyone remembers back fondly on.

Piper/Toni/KLR, the storytelling and in ring was aces. They had some wonderful timing spots.

I can't believe they actually brought some new stuff to the old ladder match. Crazy that they pulled off that impromptu double swanton (thnx big boy Mark Coffey).

Yeah, it's hard to argue with Walter being the best wrestler right now. His in ring presence is hard to match... the last guy who had similar presence was probably Arn. He sells the character so damn well and with minimum amount of mic work too. In ring, his timing is impeccable and he's a fantastic ring general... damnit, I seriously just realized the reason for his nickname.