DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS COLLIDE III - 1/25/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I don't think I've ever seen a match that began in such a disastrous fashion end up being a great match before tonight's main event. Random note: A friend who is down there texted me the crowd was roughly 5,000.

• Like 1

Mia/KLY was a nice showcase for both

Ilja/Balor was good though maybe not the best way to show off one of UK brands top rising faces. At least not if they wanted him loved.

Cruiserweight Title was about what I expected though I'm nothappy at all that Devlin is champ. Garza should have gotten a longer reign.

MM vs. DIY was fantastic and easily my MOTN. Both teams are just so damn good, and you could tell how much fun they were having in those first five minutes or so before things got serious.

Rhea/Toni was a match. Wasn't the best showcase for either, but I'm not shocked. The two never had particularly great chemistry in NXT UK. Even with how Rhea has improved that hasn't quite changed yet.

UE vs. Imperium was good considering how much they likely had to adapt after poor Wolfe got knocked out so early. O'Reilly was MVP from UE's side though Strong wasn't too far behind. WALTER just comes off so tremendous compared to all of UE so I loved how much it took for UE to take him down at times. I'm super happy Imperium won.

This was fun show. MM vs. DIY was a dream match I didn't realized I wanted until it actually happened and was everything it needed to be.

42 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My only complaint was Rhea/Toni,  there wasn't much to it.  I understand they are pushing Rhea as the next big thing but Toni Storm has everything to be a star too.  Time to do something with her. 

The two have just never had good chemistry. That was never likely too impress, especially coming right after MM/DIY.

39 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

That Jordan Devlin fellow has a lot of upside.  He’s like night and day from his blip on the radar in the UK tournament a couple years ago.

Not a fan of Devlin, but you should totally check out the recent match with Tyler from Takeover Blackpool II if you haven't already. Its easily his best match in WWE and an early MOTYC.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

On the one hand, there was some quality work done. Rhea Ripley is a STAR, and this was my first real look at WALTER. Damn.

OTOH, every time a member of Undisputed Era stand toe to toe with actual full grown men and don't get immediately squashed, my suspension of disbelief dies a little more. Adam Cole gets exposed badly as an undersized, in-over-his-head poor excuse for a "top guy" every time he interacts with anyone bigger than Johnny Gargano, and tonight was no exception. Maybe it's just my taste, but I find this "nXt is REAL wrestling" bullshit to be pretentious, self-aggrandizing faux epic exercises in futility, propped up by Triple H, a man so desperate to be loved by a segment of the fanbase that previously reviled him that he built an entire brand around "werkrate." It's "I only liked their first album" level of pompous douchery, but with dudes pretending to fight. 

Thank you. Fuck you. Bye.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Not a fan of Devlin, but you should totally check out the recent match with Tyler from Takeover Blackpool II if you haven't already. Its easily his best match in WWE and an early MOTYC.

I saw the David Starr match from an OTT recently and he won me over.  But I skipped the Blackpool show.  So I’m definitely going to run back to check it out.

1 minute ago, Brandon Bones said:

I saw the David Starr match from an OTT recently and he won me over.  But I skipped the Blackpool show.  So I’m definitely going to run back to check it out.

It was really good. Devlin/Bate, The ladder match for the tag belts, and the women's triple threat all really delivered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

I second @Eivion's recommendation of Bate/Devlin at NXT TakeOver II: Blackpool. Best WWE match this year and a worldwide MOTYC.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I’ve cracked wise a few times about Wolfe being the fall guy for that faction, but I felt so sorry for him tonight. Everyone involved held up their end regardless. Very good match.

Rhea Ripley is cool and I continue to be happy about her rising profile.

Is Igla supposed to be a face? Doesn’t matter. These people know Balor. They don’t know him.

I’m over DIY. Go watch Bate/Devlin instead. The praise you’re seeing is merited. 

Congrats to Devlin on the belt. Well earned. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

The two matches I looked forward to most, Imperium vs.  The Undisputed Era and #DIY vs. Moustache Mountain delivered. I thought Imperium vs. The Undisputed Era was the Match of the Night and acted as a showcase for WALTER. Felt bad for Alexander Wolfe getting KO'd early and getting pulled from the match.

Edited by The Natural

Loved this show. Really, really fun. TUE vs Imperium was the match of the night. That match felt like it lasted forever and I'm not sure that was a good thing or not. At least it was hard hitting and entertaining the entire time. That Wolfe KO was sick as hell. Roddy and Walter squaring off was awesome.

DIY vs Mustache Mountain was also great.

I think the only disappointing match was Ripley vs Storm. Love watching Ripley. She's freaking awesome. The match just didn't gel very well. Whatever. It happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Loved this show. Really, really fun. TUE vs Imperium was the match of the night. That match felt like it lasted forever and I'm not sure that was a good thing or not. At least it was hard hitting and entertaining the entire time. That Wolfe KO was sick as hell. Roddy and Walter squaring off was awesome.

DIY vs Mustache Mountain was also great.

I think the only disappointing match was Ripley vs Storm. Love watching Ripley. She's freaking awesome. The match just didn't gel very well. Whatever. It happens.

I thought I might be the only one rating Imperium/Undisputed Era MOTN. Thanks, @Craig H

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

WALTER vs Keith Lee is a match that I never knew I wanted but damn that would get all the monies from me.

This would be absolutely amazing.

Put it on one of the Big 4 PPVs and let them go out and throw bombs for about 15-20 minutes.