DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

All the concern I've seen about Charlotte heading into this show is weird. I'll certainly enjoy her winning as a fan of both her and the dumb takes it'll incite. But where does she even go if she wins? I like to think her interactions with Becky are misdirection because that match has been done to death, but this company has been making a lot of dull choices lately so who knows. They're probably not splitting her and Andrade up, so it's doubtful she gets into the mix on SmackDown. So the only other option you really have with a Charlotte win is Asuka taking the belt from Becky and Charlotte threatening to rob her of another major accolade. There's some meat on the bone there, but it would mean you'd need something huge to justify taking Becky out of the title scene. Anything short of Rousey probably wouldn't cut it, but if you have Rousey then the best route to Mania is a Rumble win and her avenging her fluke title loss at last year's Mania. Nothing really works quite right with a Charlotte win unless there's some other option I've not considered. 

Given the way things have gone leading into this show, the most reasonable choices to win the Rumble should be

1. Ronda Rousey (if available) to challenge Becky
  2. Shayna Baszler to challenge Becky
  3. Sasha Banks to challenge either Bayley or Lacey
  4. Charlotte Flair to challenge ???

I tend not to listen to doomsayers about Charlotte being overpushed at the expense of the other women. But in this one instance, where it's difficult to see the path forward, I'm willing to listen. Becky-Charlotte is the 2020 equivalent of Cena-Orton. 

Amusingly, Orton was teasing Cena on social media a few months ago trying to coax John into a Mania match. It's still too soon dammit. 

*takes off overly-critical hat* Let's go Charlotte!

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I have a feeling Charlotte is gonna be the iron woman of the women's match. Same deal as her dad at Number 3. I mean she's not doing anything else, so they need something for her.

That seems like the obvious setup. She isn't winning, and its an obvious accolade to play off of, especially with Ric having won it in that role.

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

am I wrong in thinking this is the first rumble in a while where the male winner isn't overly predictable?

I think it's fair to suggest that while the pool of potential winners for both Rumbles is pretty small and reasonably predictable, they haven't rode anyone too hard as a heavy favourite in either. 

That said, I doubt either Rumble result tops the one from a couple years ago where with like two days to go before the event Randy Orton somehow became the betting favourite. I couldn't believe that odds swing and nothing on TV leading up to the Rumble tipped me off to it. Maybe other people will recall that differently, but nothing about Bray vs Orton at that point screamed "title match at Mania." 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Men's Rumble:

Most Eliminations: Lesnar. I see him throwing out 7 or 8 of the first 10 people to come in before he hits a brick wall in Cain/Roman.

Iron Man: Mustafa Ali. Comes in around #5 and makes the final four. We get some interaction between he and Kofi after what happened 12 months ago.

Final 4: Roman Reigns, Keith Lee, Mustafa Ali & Kofi Kingston.

Winner: Kingston. He is then torn between avenging his loss to Brock,leaving SDL and the New Day in the process, or having to face up to THE FIEND

Women's Rumble:

Most Eliminations: Charlotte Flair. This will be her noted stat for 2020. I can even see her breaking the men's record and throwing half the other women out.

Iron Man: Sasha Banks. This is her thing with these matches so let it keep rolling. Charlotte can enter half way while the ring is full and dump out 10 people quickly but Sasha is in the first 4 and makes it to the end.

Final 4: Flair, Banks, Baszler & Alexa Bliss

Winner: Shayna Baszler. She is, arguably, the best wrestler on the roster right now. Her attention to detail is brilliant and her development and growth have been beyond all possible imagination. She faces Becky at Mania to "do what Ronda couldn't" planting the seeds for Rousey to return post Mania for some involvement.

Edited by L_W_P

11 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Men's Rumble:

Most Eliminations: Lesnar. I see him throwing out 7 or 8 of the first 10 people to come in before he hits a brick wall in Cain/Roman.

Iron Man: Mustafa Ali. Comes in around #5 and makes the final four. We get some interaction between he and Kofi after what happened 12 months ago.

Final 4: Roman Reigns, Keith Lee, Mustafa Ali & Kofi Kingston.

Winner: Kingston. He is then torn between avenging his loss to Brock,leaving SDL and the New Day in the process, or having to face up to THE FIEND

Women's Rumble:

Most Eliminations: Charlotte Flair. This will be her noted stat for 2020. I can even see her breaking the men's record and throwing half the other women out.

Iron Man: Sasha Banks. This is her thing with these matches so let it keep rolling. Charlotte can enter half way while the ring is full and dump out 10 people quickly but Sasha is in the first 4 and makes it to the end.

Final 4: Flair, Banks, Baszler & Alexa Bliss

Winner: Shayna Baszler. She is, arguably, the best wrestler on the roster right now. Her attention to detail is brilliant and her development and growth have been beyond all possible imagination. She faces Becky at Mania to "do what Ronda couldn't" planting the seeds for Rousey to return post Mania for some involvement.

I can understand them running Becky/Shayna, but that underwhelming Survivor Series match lowered my expectations quite a bit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I love the optimism of Ali getting Ironman when it appears he might not even get into the damn rumble at this point.

That said, if they don’t have Kofi and Morrison doing a “doing absurd things to keep from being eliminated” off, I’ll be massively disappointed.

It would be great if they both do the Handstand save at the same time then Both try to eliminate each other. 

The real question is if Kacy is in can see Top last Year? 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I said it last year I think (maybe two years ago) but I still think the funniest possible thing would be AJ Lee being in the women's match, but no Punk on the show.

I'm hoping neither show up. I really don't want to see them involved in anything outside of that Fox show and the eventual HoF.

I think the going opinion is that the royal rumble champions are going to be Rousey and Reigns.   I mean seriously they just announced a new shirt for Rousey on their site.   And given that Reigns has been having to babysit Baron Corbin for almost 4 months he deserves it