DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Charlotte had been stating in interviews that her goal was to be in the 1st women's main event at WrestleMania probably at least two years before it happened and had obviously been working towards that. Would have been beyond a shame for her to have been pushed out. Yeah, the booking largely sucked but it gave us that awesome backstage brawl! ?  And Charlotte being there elevated the match. Period. Are Becky and Ronda ever going to be able to have a great one-on-one? I hope so but I'll believe in it when I actually see it.

And , not directed at you specifically, but the ridiculous crying about the possibility of Becky and Charlotte ever having another match! There is so much of that story left to tell. It's a good thing most of you weren't around in the 70's or 80's or we might not have had as much of Flair-Steamboat or Rhodes-Race or Funk-Brisco or Gagne- Bockwinkel. Or later with Misawa-Kawada or Austin-Rock. I mean the thought that some of you might have had to endure so much greatness pains my heart. 

All CM Punk ever wanted was a WrestleMania main event and Vince McMahon apparently owed him several times over and he never got it. CM Punk talked about it in interviews as well. 

So the fact that she talked about it for two years means nothing to me. Just because she talked about it, she deserved it more? She was hardly the only woman talking about women headlining WrestleMania.

If you believe Meltzer the plan is for Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley and Becky Lynch vs. Shayna Baszler. 

Edited by TheVileOne

45 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If you believe Meltzer the plan is for Charlotte Flair vs. Rhea Ripley and Becky Lynch vs. Shayna Baszler. 

I’m into Lynch/Baszler, it’s a toss up over who should and could win, no issues there. Charlotte/Ripley seems like a no-win situation. If Flair goes over, outside of possibly devaluing NXT, who cares? If Ripley goes over, that’s a huge win for her but she’s already the champ on her show, she’s at the ceiling. And what do you do with Charlotte then? I don’t know, there’s a lot more to it but that’s my knee jerk reaction: Why?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of Naomi - someone posted a photo and I can't find it now of her and Bianca and I am totally cool with them being the next tag champs

I support this 100%

Are you talking about Bianca's Happy Birthday, Naomi pics from her Twitter feed?

EKpU2f7XUAAzmUx.jpg

Naomi's abs are unreal.  My abs are shameful.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I’m into Lynch/Baszler, it’s a toss up over who should and could win, no issues there. Charlotte/Ripley seems like a no-win situation. If Flair goes over, outside of possibly devaluing NXT, who cares? If Ripley goes over, that’s a huge win for her but she’s already the champ on her show, she’s at the ceiling. And what do you do with Charlotte then? I don’t know, there’s a lot more to it but that’s my knee jerk reaction: Why?

It's zero sum. but not entirely horrible.  You at least have plenty of women in the upper tier that you can interchange through the brands without kayfabe arguments about why they should be getting title shots in their debut.

Rhea Ripley does not need to prove herself on the night she'd show up on RAWs dooerstep to challenge Charlotte and the same would go for Asuka or Bayley or Shayna or Sasha if they went to another brand to claim gold.

Edited by J.T.

10 hours ago, Gonzo said:

You could take the good and take the bad. . .

The people complaining about Charlotte winning need to remember, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum.
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Log said:

The people complaining about Charlotte winning need to remember, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum.
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

I'd just be happy to know that Rhea was movin' on up. It would be great to see her finally get a piece of the pie.

• Like 2

The logic behind Charlotte challenging Rhea would be to elevate a NXT title to the level of the other two where the that it is a big enough deal that the Rumble winner chooses it

The kayfabe reasoning could be that Charlotte knows she can beat Becky and she can beat Bayley (since she has done both). Plus she would be seeking revenge from Survivor Series (Granted it would work better if Charlotte had never won the NXT title)

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I support this 100%

Are you talking about Bianca's Happy Birthday, Naomi pics from her Twitter feed?

EKpU2f7XUAAzmUx.jpg

Naomi's abs are unreal.  My abs are shameful.

Naomi clearly covers her abs so she doesn't make the other wrestlers feel bad.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The logic behind Charlotte challenging Rhea would be to elevate a NXT title to the level of the other two where the that it is a big enough deal that the Rumble winner chooses it

The kayfabe reasoning could be that Charlotte knows she can beat Becky and she can beat Bayley (since she has done both). Plus she would be seeking revenge from Survivor Series (Granted it would work better if Charlotte had never won the NXT title)

I would definitely book the feud but yeah, I would never put Charlotte over Rhea since Rhea's brand it still being built and Charlotte's loss is something that Rhea could hold over Charlotte's head in future booking should rosters shift dramatically when the next draft rolls around.

This argument AGAIN? The crowd was HOT for the idea of Becky vs Ronda when Becky announced who she was going to challenge at WrestleMania. I don't know how anyone can say Charlotte elevated that match when it was already clearly the main event - one because it was a Ronda Rousey match, and two because Becky was the most over person on the roster at that time. No one else came close.

Also, as far as Charlotte talking about being in the main event "two years before it happened" or whatever... Becky was talking about main eventing WrestleMania in like, 2014. There's a clip of her saying that in the 24: WrestleMania New York documentary on the Network.

28 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Probably because she was third wheeling in that specific feud and was synthetically injected into the mix despite the match not needing her. Fans reacted accordingly. 

I can see why she was added. Becky-Ronda one on one could have looked too much like a clear coronation going in. Rumours of Ronda taking a break made the result even clearer. Adding Charlotte to the mix adds another viable result in the mind of some fans who were paranoid that Charlotte was always going over Becky in the end. And it plays off everything that had been happening since Survivor Series and TLC. There are plenty of ways to make sense of her presence in the match. People can dislike triple threats or Charlotte or argue that they should have pivoted even harder once Becky kept heating up. But Charlotte was baked deep into the story since the fall. Nothing synthetic about her presence in that match. 

As far as fan reactions on the night of, she was the only clear heel in the match. At the end of a show that long, it's a miracle the fans managed to get it up for the babyfaces. The energy that night topped out at Kofi's win and nothing really got that back. 

But I wouldn't go as far as to say Charlotte elevated the match. Although going against general consensus, I don't see what harm was done.

I've read that people felt the triple threat or Ronda's shoulder coming up put a damper on Becky's big moment and had her reign stumbling right out of the box. To them, I say hogwash. I don't care what the match was at Mania or how botched the finish was, because she was coming out of that to enjoy a months long feud against a Lacey Evans who was under-seasoned and awkward on-screen chemistry with her fiance. With that kind of creative on her horizon, she was losing some momentum regardless of what happened at Mania. 

I kind of like your idea that they might run this triple threat match again. It would be hilarious if we could add a few new layers of contentiousness on top of this one. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

What's the adage? "You have to give the fans what they want in a way they don't expect"? They certainly accomplished that by adding Charlotte and I agree that adding her to the match wasn't necessarily forced in a story line sense but there's also something much more engaging about a one on one match. No cheap saves, no 2 on 1, no excuses, two people enter and one person leaves. A triple threat just doesn't carry the same cache and never will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A clear and predictable outcome doesn't mean it's a bad outcome. Everyone knows a good guy is going to prevail over evil,  what's important is how they get there. 

13970184.0.0.jpg 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If she agrees to get another number tattooed on her every year she's in the Rumble, I'd book her in every single Rumble till the end of time. Men's and women's. Keep going till she has more numbers on her skin than Victor Zsasz. 

eee.jpg

AJ Lee did the tally marks on winning the WWE Divas Championship. Longest reign till Nikki Bella took the record when Lee left WWE with CM Punk.

Remember resident bully JBL shitting on the tattoo.

Edited by The Natural