DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

The Road to Wrestlemania begins at Chase Field in Phoenix Minute Maid Park in Houston

The card:

FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP: The Fiend Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Daniel Bryan

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Becky Lynch (c) vs. Asuka

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP: Bayley (c) vs. Lacey Evans

FOR THE WWE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP: Andrade (c) vs. Humberto Carillo

30-MAN ROYAL RUMBLE FOR A TITLE MATCH AT WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI - **

30-WOMAN ROYAL RUMBLE FOR A TITLE MATCH AT WRESTLEMANIA XXXVI

FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MATCH: Roman Reigns vs. His Royal Highness, Baron, of the House Corbin

Sheamus vs. Shorty G

--

** - WWE Champion Brock Lesnar will enter as participant #1.

• Like 2

Bray Wyatt on Daniel Bryan. Six years ago both wrestled at the Royal Rumble and now the 2020 Royal Rumble. Its rare to get rematches at Royal Rumble.

Liking the lineup so far for the above, the two Royal Rumble matches and Becky Lynch vs. Asuka. About the latter, this the first time a match is on two consecutive Royal Rumble's excluding the Royal Rumble match?

Hope the Men's Royal Rumble turns out better than last year's, it was disappointing more so as the 2018 Mens Royal Rumble match was the best Men's in many years.

Edited by The Natural

Now that there's a men's and women's rumble I think it's fair to have just that [rumbles and world title matches] be the full card.

What with the IC/US/etc. championships theoretically being stepping stones to the WWE & Universal Titles (ostensibly "the biggest prize in our sport business") and the conceit of the Royal Rumble event being the one day a year where everyone who's anyone has their fair lottery ticket shot at winning that championship bout title opportunity, shouldn't they be cleared of their usual title defense obligations so as to not be effectively cheated of their world title aspirations, defeating the purpose of winning the glory of being a midcard champion in the first place?

Tag Team Champions as well, though the kayfabe argument is weaker w.r.t. title contention

[But mostly because those 6 matches alone already fill 3.5 - 4 hours, and just because being on their own network means they can put on 6 hour shows doesn't mean they should.]

BTW - for the record - Meltzer speculated last week that Brock's opponent might be Erick Rowan or Drew McIntyre

From that WON

Right now they are giving big pushes to Drew McIntyre, Erick Rowan and Aleister Black on television. We do know McMahon is heavily behind a Rowan push. The mentality in the past has also been the Rumble is the draw, which it is, so you don’t necessarily need a super challenger and you have just feed someone to Lesnar for Mania. McIntyre has been groomed for a top position ever since he was brought to the main roster, but like everyone, had his stops and stars and a few injuries slowing down his momentum. Lesnar and Samoa Joe had a great dynamic, but right now it looks like Joe will be involved in a program with the AOP & Seth Rollins. Rollins maybe as likely as anyone, since he’s pushed repeatedly how he has two wins over Lesnar, and with Lesnar gone, has been promoted as the top male star on the Raw brand.

Dave also said the only thing he was able to confirm is that Brock's opponent is not Tyson Fury or Cain Velasquez (Apparently Cain will be in the Rumble itself)

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Bray Wyatt on Daniel Bryan. Six years ago both wrestled at the Royal Rumble and now the 2020 Royal Rumble. Its rare to get rematches at Royal Rumble.

Liking the lineup so far for the above, the two Royal Rumble matches and Becky Lynch vs. Asuka. About the latter, this the first time a match is on two consecutive Royal Rumble's excluding the Royal Rumble match?

Hope the Men's Royal Rumble turns out better than last year's, it was disappointing more so as the 2018 Mens Royal Rumble match was the best Men's in many years.

This year, Bray gets to no-sell all Bryan's offense and win with minimal effort in another red backlit shitstain of a match.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You are correct - Dolfan needs a nap

Dolfan needs a nap because his boyfriend found those confetti poppers and along with their friends popped like 10 of them in his apartment when the ball dropped.  

Dolfan was up until 5a on NYE/Day cleaning it up and hasn't slept right since.

That's never happening again. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm pretty sure this year is at Minute Maid Park in Houston, not Chase Field.

one of the matches better have a sign stealing finish.

Like, Lacey Evans is winding up the Women's Right behind Bayley's back when Sasha Banks bangs twice on the ring steps so Bayley dodges without seeing it and rolls Evans up for the win, or something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

well if Cain Velasquez is going to be in it I guess he's also a possibility because what else is worth doing with him besides title bouts against Brock

but yeah, they probably figure they've done enough palette cleansing to try Roman Reigns again.

similarly I assume Charlotte is a foregone conclusion unless Rousey's making a surprise return?

There's plenty of ways to get to Roman ridding us of our Red backlit nightmare without him needing to win the Rumble.  I'd go with Cain to get a Mania match with Brock set up.

I remember when the Rumble was used to elevate people to main events.  Give me someone new and fresh that has never had a real main event to win it.  And not a quasi-celebrity like Cain or Tyson Fury.  

Give me Rusev, Royal Rumble Winner. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I remember when the Rumble was used to elevate people to main events.  Give me someone new and fresh that has never had a real main event to win it. 

People say this all the time, but these examples are outnumbered by examples of already-established main eventers winning the Rumble. There's this rosy idea people have about the purpose the Rumble ought to serve, but it hasn't been that for most of its history. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2

Give it to Keith Lee. It would A) be rad and B) solidify NXT even further, especially if he chooses to challenge Adam Cole instead of opting for the Fiend or Lesnar. And if people question why he wouldn't use the win to go for the Raw or SD titles he could claim he needed to finish things in NXT first and he can always win the Rumble again next year. Then have him win again next year.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

People say this all the time, but these examples are outnumbered by examples of already-established main eventers winning the Rumble. There's this rosy idea people have about the purpose the Rumble ought to serve, but it hasn't been that for most of its history. 

Rumble Winners:

Duggan (88)

Studd (89)

Hogan (90, 91)

Flair (92)

Yokozuna (93)

Hart/Luger (94)

HBK (95, 96)

Austin (97, 98, 01)

Vince (99)

Rock (00)

Triple H (02, 16)

Brock (03)

[REDACTED] (04)

Batista (05, 14)

Rey (06)

Taker (07)

Cena (08, 13)

Orton (09, 17)

Edge (10)

ADR (11)

Sheamus (12)

Roman (15)

Nakamura, Asuka (18)

Seth, Becky (19)

So yeah, outside of Duggan and Studd (pre-Mania Main Event stip) and Nakamura/Asuka from 18, everyone that's won was either already a Main Eventer, or the Rumble was the final push into it.

I guess I'm talking about cementing someone as a main eventer (and usually the top babyface).  Which was done arguably with HBK (first one), Austin (first one), Brock, Benoit, Rey, Del Rio, Sheamus, Nakamura, and Asuka.  Some of those didn't quite stick, but I feel like a Royal Rumble win is more of a culmination than a coronation.  

I also think it's a good idea to be ahead of the curve (having Roman win instead of Batista) versus behind the curve (Roman winning the next year and getting booed for the rest of his life).

You've got a bunch of up and comers that don't feel like they're anywhere close to being cemented as main eventers.  Why not throw something out there and see if it sticks?  I could see a win by Rusev, McIntyre, Finn or Andrade  really cementing them as main eventers being something relatively fresh and exciting rather than just going back to the well with Seth or Roman winning.  And if it's a part timer that wins, ooh boy.  

As far as the women go, Charlotte would be the most safe, boring thing.  Ronda coming back and winning would probably sell the most tickets, assuming she sticks around for a while.  I really don't know who's lower on the totem pole a rumble win would truly benefit -- you'd almost have to have a NXT girl win since almost nobody but the four horsewomen have any positive momentum.  

A win for Shayna, Bianca, Io, or Candice LeRae (probably not Rhea since she's gotta anchor the NXT women's division for a while) would be pretty cool.  

16 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

You've got a bunch of up and comers that don't feel like they're anywhere close to being cemented as main eventers.  Why not throw something out there and see if it sticks?  I could see a win by Rusev, McIntyre, Finn or Andrade  really cementing them as main eventers being something relatively fresh and exciting rather than just going back to the well with Seth or Roman winning.  

Because that's just not how this company thinks. In the run-up to almost any Rumble that vaguely culminates a guy's push, there's been a lot of groundwork laid, to the point where they're a heavy favourite. This company isn't just going to strap the rocket to a guy who was losing pre-show matches to Humberto last month. It's not their style. I might see the appeal, but it won't happen.

Finn being a big fish on NXT probably gives him the best chance of the people you mentioned, but he's just coming off a loss to Cole so he's probably not in line for another big shot while he's feuding with Gargano. 

If they were to go with someone actually fresh this year (who's not on NXT), I'd give an outside shot to Black because he's been fairly protected. But he doesn't feel like he's getting a "I'm winning the Royal Rumble in a few weeks" push. It feels like a slow burn. 

Unless all the TV time with the Lana angle has been their way to get us to Lashley vs Lesnar... *shudders*

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Rumble Winners:

ADR (11)

I'm still irrationally angry that Santino didn't get to Cobra Del Rio off the fucking planet.  

Just have him lose the title shot the next day, but they robbed themselves of a moment for the damned ages. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re: Charlotte, it's still early but I think she'd be fourth if I were to rank likely Rumble winners. Shayna or Ronda feel like Becky's likely Mania opponent, so one of them could have a real shot if Becky retains over Asuka. For SmackDown, I don't see anyone on the horizon other than Sasha. I'd only start worrying about a Charlotte win if Asuka beats Becky. 

They shouldn't bother with Becky vs Charlotte for at least two years. That combination is Cena-Orton levels of played out. 

• Like 2