DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

This argument AGAIN? The crowd was HOT for the idea of Becky vs Ronda when Becky announced who she was going to challenge at WrestleMania. I don't know how anyone can say Charlotte elevated that match when it was already clearly the main event - one because it was a Ronda Rousey match, and two because Becky was the most over person on the roster at that time. No one else came close.

Also, as far as Charlotte talking about being in the main event "two years before it happened" or whatever... Becky was talking about main eventing WrestleMania in like, 2014. There's a clip of her saying that in the 24: WrestleMania New York documentary on the Network.

28 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Probably because she was third wheeling in that specific feud and was synthetically injected into the mix despite the match not needing her. Fans reacted accordingly. 

I can see why she was added. Becky-Ronda one on one could have looked too much like a clear coronation going in. Rumours of Ronda taking a break made the result even clearer. Adding Charlotte to the mix adds another viable result in the mind of some fans who were paranoid that Charlotte was always going over Becky in the end. And it plays off everything that had been happening since Survivor Series and TLC. There are plenty of ways to make sense of her presence in the match. People can dislike triple threats or Charlotte or argue that they should have pivoted even harder once Becky kept heating up. But Charlotte was baked deep into the story since the fall. Nothing synthetic about her presence in that match. 

As far as fan reactions on the night of, she was the only clear heel in the match. At the end of a show that long, it's a miracle the fans managed to get it up for the babyfaces. The energy that night topped out at Kofi's win and nothing really got that back. 

But I wouldn't go as far as to say Charlotte elevated the match. Although going against general consensus, I don't see what harm was done.

I've read that people felt the triple threat or Ronda's shoulder coming up put a damper on Becky's big moment and had her reign stumbling right out of the box. To them, I say hogwash. I don't care what the match was at Mania or how botched the finish was, because she was coming out of that to enjoy a months long feud against a Lacey Evans who was under-seasoned and awkward on-screen chemistry with her fiance. With that kind of creative on her horizon, she was losing some momentum regardless of what happened at Mania. 

I kind of like your idea that they might run this triple threat match again. It would be hilarious if we could add a few new layers of contentiousness on top of this one. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

What's the adage? "You have to give the fans what they want in a way they don't expect"? They certainly accomplished that by adding Charlotte and I agree that adding her to the match wasn't necessarily forced in a story line sense but there's also something much more engaging about a one on one match. No cheap saves, no 2 on 1, no excuses, two people enter and one person leaves. A triple threat just doesn't carry the same cache and never will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A clear and predictable outcome doesn't mean it's a bad outcome. Everyone knows a good guy is going to prevail over evil,  what's important is how they get there. 

13970184.0.0.jpg 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

If she agrees to get another number tattooed on her every year she's in the Rumble, I'd book her in every single Rumble till the end of time. Men's and women's. Keep going till she has more numbers on her skin than Victor Zsasz. 

eee.jpg

AJ Lee did the tally marks on winning the WWE Divas Championship. Longest reign till Nikki Bella took the record when Lee left WWE with CM Punk.

Remember resident bully JBL shitting on the tattoo.

Edited by The Natural

On 1/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

it gets even "better" the more I think of names of woman who could have actually had that spot but were instead left off the show entirely to make room for it.

If they were really lucky, they could've been the one at the receiving end of a Stinkface from Kelly Kelly. That's what Vince calls really getting a rub. 

AJ Lee did the tally marks on winning the WWE Divas Championship. Longest reign till Nikki Bella took the record when Lee left WWE with CM Punk.

Remember resident bully JBL shitting on the tattoo.

I also remember people getting up in arms about JBL shitting on AJ's tattoo. Its funny since those people also shit on another AJ for getting tattoos of his children's birth dates. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

AJ Lee utterly humiliating King and JBL on commentary that night was awesome. King looked like a moron, JBL like an ineffectual bully, while she elevated the stupid butterfly belt just by talking about it.

Adding Charlotte into the main event was dumb then, and even dumber looking back. They sacrificed the entire rest of the division on the road to the match, and a year later it's only barely recovered. Christ, not running Charlotte/Asuka II was dumb just by itself. Plus, in the match itself, Charlotte was so obviously unnecessary and just grafted on. It just muddied the water in what should've been a clear-cut coronation.

• Like 2

john-cena-daniel-bryan-running-knee-lift

Ever since Daniel Bryan debuted the running knee putting down John Cena  in a classic match for the WWE Championship at SummerSlam 2013, it's one of my favourite wrestling moves. It's one of the most protected finishers going. The only men to kick out:

Randy Orton. Orton was able to because of a short cover delay by Batista throwing Bryan outside the ring, WrestleMania XXX.

Roman Reigns, Fastlane 2015.

Brock Lesnar twice, Survivor Series 2018.

Kofi Kingston, Elimination Chamber 2019.

Kofi Kingston, WrestleMania XXXV.

The Fiend Bray Wyatt, Survivor Series 2019.

The Fiend Bray Wyatt twice, Royal Rumble 2020.

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

AJ Lee utterly humiliating King and JBL on commentary that night was awesome. King looked like a moron, JBL like an ineffectual bully, while she elevated the stupid butterfly belt just by talking about it.

Adding Charlotte into the main event was dumb then, and even dumber looking back. They sacrificed the entire rest of the division on the road to the match, and a year later it's only barely recovered. Christ, not running Charlotte/Asuka II was dumb just by itself. Plus, in the match itself, Charlotte was so obviously unnecessary and just grafted on. It just muddied the water in what should've been a clear-cut coronation.

The fact that a bully like JBL got punked out by both AJ Lee and Joey Styles is just beautiful.

• Like 4

Per the new WON - Kelly Kelly was the last minute replacement when Sasha wasn't cleared.

Also if you were curious

The men’s Rumble was put together by Shane McMahon, James Gibson (Noble) , Chris Park (Abyss) and Lance Evers (Storm) with input by Paul Heyman and Brock Lesnar regarding the early part of the match. Vince McMahon was heavily involved in the finishing sequence and not only made the final call on McIntyre winning, but also the sequence and his eliminating Reigns last.

The women’s Rumble was put together by Michael Seitz (Hayes), T.J. Wilson (Tyson Kidd), Adam Pearce, Mickie James and Paul Levesque had input the day of the show to help out and made it flow better.

• Thanks 2