DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Was at the Rumble last night. Crowd was great. Audibly groaned at Charlotte winning. Was getting very restless during the Brock section of the Rumble. Loved all the NXT people, especially Keith Lee and Matt Riddle. Obviously loved Drew Mac and Edge. 

There was an attempt at an “Astros Cheated” chant when they took the tarp off the dugout and it still said World Series, but it didn’t get anywhere. There were a couple of Kobe chants too but those didn’t go far either. 

I loved Bianca’s run and Shayna’s run. I don’t mind legends coming back, but where were the IIconics? Come on.

Also, needed Rusev and Lashley to get involved In the Rumble, just for Lashley to get eliminated by Rusev so Rusev could get at least one win over Bobby. They could’ve been in during the Brock section, just have Rusev eliminate Bobby first before getting eliminated by Brock.

enjoyed Bryan v. Bray - kinda don’t want Fiend as champ going into Wrestlemania. When it was a strap match announced, I figure they were going to do touch the turnbuckles rules and Fiend could lose without being pinned. Maybe an Undertaker run-in to set up Mania? Alas. Bryan got about as good a match he could. Still gonna suck when Roman beats the Fiend at Mania.

Thought Asuka v. Becky was good, but the “Becky might be KOed” spot was dumb because it seemed like until that point Asuka was the one taking a ton of punishment, not Becky. I guess Ronda is not coming back?

the line to the bathroom during Lacey v. Bayley was the craziest I ever seen.  Fortunately, no line at all during Elias’s concert. 

Great show, but the match of the weekend was definitely Imperium v. Undisputed Era.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I got real bored this morning so the list of women who have been in all 3 Rumbles is smaller than I thought (I think I started thinking this after realizing that 3 of the 4 Horsewoman were not in it this year) but not that small. Basically exactly 1/3 of the Rumble field is always the same

• Sarah Logan
  • Mandy Rose
  • Sonya Deville
  • Liv Morgan
  • Carmella
  • Nattie
  • Naomi
  • Kairi Sane
  • Tamina
  • Dana Brooke

So, that talking point about how AEW's Women's division isn't what it should be, because WWE is hoarding all the talent... 

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Brock beating all the mid card guys only to be tossed by Drew is cool and all but you could have also made a guy like Keith Lee or Walter by putting them in the same spot.  You could do it with Walter and still have Drew eliminate him for the big pop and I don't think it would tarnish his win any in doing so.

Drew's win would have meant less. There was absolutely no point in having anyone eliminate Lesnar if they weren't challenging him at WM. Beyond that Walter isn't interested in joining the main roster.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Honestly, Becky screaming bloody murder at Asuka and then having her head kicked off would have been the perfect way to re-establish Asuka.  

However, if Rousey's coming back, Becky's got to look strong when Ronda taps her.   (Which of course leads back to the 'who can beat Ronda' issue from 2018-19.)

My biggest sadness from the Women's Rumble result is that poor Bayley has to lose to Charlotte again at a PPV.  

Charlotte already talk about challenging Becky so I'm not sure why you think she is challenging Bayley. If Ronda was coming back for Wrestlemania it would have been last night.

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

You know Charlotte is over-pushed when Shayna winning would've felt fresh.

It would have been fresh only because Shayna isn't on the main roster. Otherwise the twos' pushes are actually comparable with their respective brands. Actually Shayna has probably been pushed stronger in NXT than Charlotte on the main roster.

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Charlotte already talk about challenging Becky so I'm not sure why you think she is challenging Bayley. If Ronda was coming back for Wrestlemania it would have been last night.

My understanding was that Becky-Baszler was the long-term plan, which may have been changed to Becky-Ronda when all the rumors surrounding her return were swirling. Until I hear something else, I'm assuming one of those two is tapping Becky in April.  Especially now that she's completely cleared the field.

CF thus goes to the other show. 

Not to mention that Becky-Charlotte has also been done 4000 times. (And yes, so has Bayley-Charlotte. Though, never with Bayley winning...)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Reminder for the folks who were concerned that almost the entire Men's Rumble field had been announced ahead of time.

6 people announced didn't actually participate in the match (Otis, Tucker, Rusev, Lashley, Buddy Murphy, R-Truth)

Never underestimate the company's ability to not deliver what they advertise

To be fair, Truth was pretty clear that he wasn’t going to be in it. They should have just listened to him from the beginning.

13 hours ago, Morganti said:

Also how many couples competed on the show in general, and in the rumble match it self?

Very quick count - 6 (this is counting the Usos who just were in the opening brawl, Corey Graves announcing)

I also can't remember if I counted Baszler since a) I couldn't remember if she was dating Dakota Kai or Teagen Knox (though both count) and b) technically I wasn't sure if the relationship was official

4 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

The strap match felt like the result of a bet, where someone went up to Daniel Bryan and said "OK, to prove you're the best wrestler on the planet, I want you to wrestle a limited opponent to a **** match. Plus it's a strap match. Plus he's allowed to shrug off 90% of your offense. Think you can do it?" And then he did.

Best to ever do it. Love Daniel Bryan.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Very quick count - 6 (this is counting the Usos who just were in the opening brawl, Corey Graves announcing)

I also can't remember if I counted Baszler since a) I couldn't remember if she was dating Dakota Kai or Teagen Knox (though both count) and b) technically I wasn't sure if the relationship was official

I don't think anything's ever been confirmed for Baszler, so I just assume it doesn't count until I see it on Twitter/Instagram.

Also, with current policy toward couples, moving Charlotte to SD causes a bunch of other issues (which is what caused the post-draft movements of Andrade/Vega/Black in the first place.)

Edited by Raziel

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The rumour was Shayna and Dakota.

Using your parameters, I count 7 - Graves/Carmella, Uso/Naomi, Andrade/Charlotte, Becky/Rollins, Vega/Black, Yim/Lee and Edge/Phoenix.

Edited by Sky Blue Sam
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Using your parameters, I count 7 - Graves/Carmella, Uso/Naomi, Andrade/Charlotte, Becky/Rollins, Vega/Black, Yim/Lee and Edge/Phoenix.

I forgot Yim and Lee

I also didn't realize until doing it that Viking Raiders went from being tag champs to not on the show in the span of two weeks (Since I initially was all "Well Sarah Logan and whoever she is married too")

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Apparently Riddle got into a tiff with Brock at the start of the show... that might be why he was a one pump chump in the rumble.

No that was solely done because they knew it would get heat with the online community. It is the specific reason it was Corbin who eliminated him (this is per Meltzer)

Since it Ryan Satin who had the story - most are convinced it is them laying the ground work for later (and it will have been magically filmed like the Goldberg encounter)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

No that was solely done because they knew it would get heat with the online community. It is the specific reason it was Corbin who eliminated him (this is per Meltzer)

Since it Ryan Satin who had the story - most are convinced it is them laying the ground work for later (and it will have been magically filmed like the Goldberg encounter)

Booking for the IWC is such a Russo move.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Charlotte won. Edge returned. They finally committed to Drew. No red lights during the Fiend's match. I didn't watch the whole show, but I liked what I saw. 

Thank god they finally let common sense prevail on the red light nonsense. It took 20 years but still it’s finally done and over with