DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Very quick count - 6 (this is counting the Usos who just were in the opening brawl, Corey Graves announcing)

I also can't remember if I counted Baszler since a) I couldn't remember if she was dating Dakota Kai or Teagen Knox (though both count) and b) technically I wasn't sure if the relationship was official

I don't think anything's ever been confirmed for Baszler, so I just assume it doesn't count until I see it on Twitter/Instagram.

Also, with current policy toward couples, moving Charlotte to SD causes a bunch of other issues (which is what caused the post-draft movements of Andrade/Vega/Black in the first place.)

Edited by Raziel

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Very quick count - 6 (this is counting the Usos who just were in the opening brawl, Corey Graves announcing)

I also can't remember if I counted Baszler since a) I couldn't remember if she was dating Dakota Kai or Teagen Knox (though both count) and b) technically I wasn't sure if the relationship was official

The rumour was Shayna and Dakota.

Using your parameters, I count 7 - Graves/Carmella, Uso/Naomi, Andrade/Charlotte, Becky/Rollins, Vega/Black, Yim/Lee and Edge/Phoenix.

Edited by Sky Blue Sam
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Using your parameters, I count 7 - Graves/Carmella, Uso/Naomi, Andrade/Charlotte, Becky/Rollins, Vega/Black, Yim/Lee and Edge/Phoenix.

I forgot Yim and Lee

I also didn't realize until doing it that Viking Raiders went from being tag champs to not on the show in the span of two weeks (Since I initially was all "Well Sarah Logan and whoever she is married too")

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Apparently Riddle got into a tiff with Brock at the start of the show... that might be why he was a one pump chump in the rumble.

No that was solely done because they knew it would get heat with the online community. It is the specific reason it was Corbin who eliminated him (this is per Meltzer)

Since it Ryan Satin who had the story - most are convinced it is them laying the ground work for later (and it will have been magically filmed like the Goldberg encounter)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

No that was solely done because they knew it would get heat with the online community. It is the specific reason it was Corbin who eliminated him (this is per Meltzer)

Since it Ryan Satin who had the story - most are convinced it is them laying the ground work for later (and it will have been magically filmed like the Goldberg encounter)

Booking for the IWC is such a Russo move.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Charlotte won. Edge returned. They finally committed to Drew. No red lights during the Fiend's match. I didn't watch the whole show, but I liked what I saw. 

Thank god they finally let common sense prevail on the red light nonsense. It took 20 years but still it’s finally done and over with 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My understanding was that Becky-Baszler was the long-term plan, which may have been changed to Becky-Ronda when all the rumors surrounding her return were swirling. Until I hear something else, I'm assuming one of those two is tapping Becky in April.  Especially now that she's completely cleared the field.

CF thus goes to the other show. 

Not to mention that Becky-Charlotte has also been done 4000 times. (And yes, so has Bayley-Charlotte. Though, never with Bayley winning...)

I don't see Charlotte leaving to Smackdown w/o her fiancee. The best hope for Shayna/Becky or Rousey/Becky is one of them trying to murder Charlotte and taking her out of WM. I actually would like to see that personally. Would make for a nice post-WM blood feud.

Bayley beat Charlotte for a title at least three times. She also beat Charlotte when she first came to Raw several years ago.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Fiend vs Roman is pretty easy to me. Roman's great at working from underneath. Have the Fiend take most of the match, have Roman come back, hit a few superman punches and one spear. It would work. The whole point of a monster is to have a hero beat him.  

That would be pretty lame considering The Fiend has taken shots to the head from hammers and been electrocuted and no sold it all. 

The Claymore is such a dope impact move, the way Reigns fed in to it to end the match made it look spectacular. I also totally buy it knocking Brock out clean. One shot and done.

I called Orton/Edge the moment Orton referred to Edge in that weird fake injury angle promo the other week. I'm also going to call Ronda/Charlotte/Becky II at Mania. It's the only way not having Shayna (beating Becky at Survivor Series you would assume the feud would naturally be a lock for Mania season) win the Rumble makes any sense. 

• Like 1

"There's nobody else" is such a lazy argument. It's the same argument people used for Cena and Reigns when they'd be on their 3rd and 4th coronation at WrestleMania.  

It could have been anyone. Shayna,  Bianca, Kairi Sane, I think Io might be hurt but she's another one.  I'm not surprised I called Charlotte as the favorite months ago, they could have used the women's rumble in the same way they used the Men's to elevate someone.  

I agree with you that it could have been used to elevate someone else, and Shayna was all the rage with the live crowd. I do think plans were changed to accommodate Ronda into the scenario. And Charlotte winning sets the wheels in motion for the triple threat rematch (this is strictly guesswork on my part but the idea of Charlotte vs. Bayley or Becky is garbage and has been done to death). I'll take my L if those plans do not come to fruition, but that's how I see things playing out.

Ronda/Charlotte/Becky on the Raw side, and Sasha/Bayley on the SD side. Niners Fan is happy. The board is happy. Everyone wins.

Edited by Rehabilitated Rick

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

"There's nobody else" is such a lazy argument. It's the same argument people used for Cena and Reigns when they'd be on their 3rd and 4th coronation at WrestleMania.  

It could have been anyone. Shayna,  Bianca, Kairi Sane, I think Io might be hurt but she's another one.  I'm not surprised I called Charlotte as the favorite months ago, they could have used the women's rumble in the same way they used the Men's to elevate someone.  

But how many years is going to take for you to realize they don't book this way. They weren't suddenly going to have two "new" winners in one year. Even with the planned original winners (Shayna and Roman) it was the same thing only flipped.

They did it once the first time they had two Rumbles - Asuka and Nakamura - and you could argue even then it wasn't "elevating" Asuka since she was still on her undefeated streak. Plus - Asuka winning was only designed for her to be sacrificed to Charlotte at Mania which basically killed her until the next Rumble.

And they clearly got cold feet with Nakamura and we ended up with a shit match with a shit finish and a shit heel turn.

We can be here till the cows come home discussing all the things the WWE "could" have done over the years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They did it once the first time they had two Rumbles - Asuka and Nakamura - and you could argue even then it wasn't "elevating" Asuka since she was still on her undefeated streak.

I hate to make this about more than just the wrestling itself but I think a lot of us were very pleased that night because it seemed like not just that Nakamura and Asuka had won and it felt "new" (despite Asuka being on the undefeated streak) but that WWE maybe had turned a corner on Asian wrestlers.  They saw the marketability in Nakamura and Asuka and they weren't going to shy from pushing them as the top stars of their respective divisions.  More importantly,  the racial stereotypes were also no more. 

But WWE failed on that on both fronts and Asuka only now has somewhat recovered.  I don't think anyone felt Charlotte had anything to gain from beating Asuka and I don't think Charlotte had anything to gain from winning the Rumble last night. 

I get Vince is extremely protective of his favorites but it doesn't make for a better program.  I'm just happy that when they pull shit like this that now I have AEW to watch or I can fire up New Japan World,  at least there's alternatives. 

37 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Thank god they finally let common sense prevail on the red light nonsense. It took 20 years but still it’s finally done and over with 

I wouldn't celebrate just yet

Bryan has a lot of input on his matches and he was probably able to sell ditching the lights based on not being able to see the damage the strap was causing on his body.

Let's see if it returns on the Saudi show (which I am assuming is the next time Bray is wrestling)

• Sad 1

As someone who had no intention of watching the Rumble, after plans got cancelled I just turned it on anyway. And I enjoyed it. I wish Charlotte wouldn't have won but whatever. The men's Rumble was excellent though. I'm happy for Drew. Let's see if they stick with his push this time. On a side note, me and the wife played a drinking game for everytime a blonde came out in the women's Rumble. I'm just gonna say alcohol poisoning isn't fun friends lol.