DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Fiend vs Roman is pretty easy to me. Roman's great at working from underneath. Have the Fiend take most of the match, have Roman come back, hit a few superman punches and one spear. It would work. The whole point of a monster is to have a hero beat him. 

You could still rehabilitate the Fiend for a Summerslam match vs Brock or something. Meanwhile, give Roman an actual dominant run as a face champion to carry the brand. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

My only regret is that we didn’t get WALTER toward the tail end of the Brock thing. I wanted to see the staredown and you know Brock would have pinballed his ass off for the chop. 

And then eliminate him 30 seconds later

32 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Fiend vs Roman is pretty easy to me. Roman's great at working from underneath. Have the Fiend take most of the match, have Roman come back, hit a few superman punches and one spear. It would work. The whole point of a monster is to have a hero beat him. 

You could still rehabilitate the Fiend for a Summerslam match vs Brock or something. Meanwhile, give Roman an actual dominant run as a face champion to carry the brand. 

It's really just a matter of who the hero will be though. In most fans eyes Daniel Bryan would be the David slaying Bray's Goliath  (that didn't sound as good as I'd hoped)   Whereas with Reigns it's almost like we are conditioned to think "oh it's Roman again Bray has no chance"      I also wouldn't hate a triple threat with Bryan, Bray, and Roman

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Xavier Woods going off during the Royal Rumble was hilarious. It’s worth a look. He even goes nuts about the Edge spear cuts.

Woods was basically in untouchable give no craps mood tonight. 

Here is the full watch along

• Like 1

Credit where it's due - they did a good job with Keith Lee in the Rumble. Brock's reaction was great, the one-on-one was perfect, and he got eliminated cheaply rather than Lesnar just picking him up and chucking him. His two big PPV appearances have done a good job of making him seem like a big deal going forward...so far.

Edited by w. josh
  • Like 3

The strap match felt like the result of a bet, where someone went up to Daniel Bryan and said "OK, to prove you're the best wrestler on the planet, I want you to wrestle a limited opponent to a **** match. Plus it's a strap match. Plus he's allowed to shrug off 90% of your offense. Think you can do it?" And then he did.

• Like 1

Reminder for the folks who were concerned that almost the entire Men's Rumble field had been announced ahead of time.

6 people announced didn't actually participate in the match (Otis, Tucker, Rusev, Lashley, Buddy Murphy, R-Truth)

Never underestimate the company's ability to not deliver what they advertise

What's weird about that is that other than Edge and MVP, no one seemed like a surprise. Hardly any NXT guys, no 205 cannon fodder, no big debut, no retired vet in a comedy role. 

I would much rather have seen Santino in the Men's Rumble doing that exact same Cobra self-elimination spot against Brock than the ridiculously tone-deaf Santina return. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, w. josh said:

What's weird about that is that other than Edge and MVP, no one seemed like a surprise. Hardly any NXT guys, no 205 cannon fodder, no big debut, no retired vet in a comedy role. 

I would much rather have seen Santino in the Men's Rumble doing that exact same Cobra self-elimination spot against Brock than the ridiculously tone-deaf Santina return. 

i would have also rather had Buddy than MVP.  MVP won't be back tonight and was a waste of a spot. 

I got real bored this morning so the list of women who have been in all 3 Rumbles is smaller than I thought (I think I started thinking this after realizing that 3 of the 4 Horsewoman were not in it this year) but not that small. Basically exactly 1/3 of the Rumble field is always the same

• Sarah Logan
  • Mandy Rose
  • Sonya Deville
  • Liv Morgan
  • Carmella
  • Nattie
  • Naomi
  • Kairi Sane
  • Tamina
  • Dana Brooke

• They're on the cusp of something big with McIntyre if his Rumble reaction(s) are to be believed. I haven't been a regular viewer in a hot minute, so I don't know how he's treated on RAW (right?), but he got some monster pops throughout that match. But, me being a pessimist, and this being WWE... let's see how bad they fuck this up. We've been here before with people like Braun Strowman, hopefully that's not one of those situations though. Also - mildly intrigued to see where they go with the Edge thing. Maybe he joins KO, Samoa Joe and Aleister Black's fight against Rollins, AOP and Buddy Murphy at 'Mania? If it's anything like the Bryan situation from a few years ago, they'd probably want him in a tag match just to protect him a little more. But if it's only a Rumble to 'Mania run for him, do you want to waste his one and only return match (besides the Rumble) on an 8 man tag?
  • The women's Rumble wasn't bad, it's about neck and neck with the one from last year I'd say. I don't like that Charlotte won, since now it's either going to be her versus Becky, or her versus Bayley (she still gets to challenge whoever she wants, doesn't she? or did they change that again?). If she hadn't of won, and Rousey was coming back, and Becky lost her title between now and 'Mania, I'd say Charlotte/Becky vs Shayna/Ronda would be the way to go. But that's not meant to be, it seems. Like others have said, I just don't know what you do with this win for Charlotte. It's either rematches galore, or Becky/Bayley loses their title to someone that's on a clear step below them AND Charlotte.

We always talk about wanting the Rumble winners to be people that are thrust into stardom because of that win, and maybe their too scared to do that with the men's version (although it could be argued they're doing that with Drew I guess?), but the women's Rumble should definitely be used for this. The past three winners have been Asuka, Becky and Charlotte. Did they need those Rumble wins? I don't think so. Shayna could have used it and it'd be like putting a rocket onto her back, but for it to really matter she'd have to leave NXT if she did (which wouldn't be a bad thing). 

That's all I've watched so far. I'll check out Becky/Asuka later today since the last two weeks of their TV stuff have kind of sucked me in, and they're both good wrestlers, so I'm all in for that match. I love Daniel Bryan, but I don't want to watch anything involving The Fiend. And I definitely don't care about Corbin versus Reigns.

• Like 1

I will just say this about Charlotte - she was always going to win A Rumble. And it was highly doubtful it was going to be like another 5 years down the road.

So if it wasn't this year it would probably be next year

Y'all have watched the WWE for however many years - you know how Vince books and the people who are always going to be his favorites.

Unless of course you get more energy from being irritated when folks like Randy Orton win again. Then you do you.

• Like 4

I get what you’re saying, but they kind of have to go the “let’s make this person a star” route with the women after this year. I guess Sasha and Bayley still have to win one probably, but after that, if they don’t do what I’m talking about then it’ll just be the same handful of people winning year after year. Vince’s favorite pile has a lot more to pull from when you look at the men’s roster vs the women. Hell, I would have taken a Mandy Rose win this year, but I’m actually more of a fan of hers than I am Charlotte (and she’s supposedly a Vinny Mac favorite).

My problem with the women's division is they've kind of exhausted all the big matches and matchups available right now. Just for example, Asuka/Lynch blowoff is a match that could've happened at Mania. 

Ronda Rousey not being around hurts because Rousey vs. Lynch, the match we should've gotten last year, is probably the most exciting one on paper. This is why I wanted Shayna Baszler to win because that would've freshened up the title scene. Having Baszler target Lynch would be intense. I still feel like Asuka hasn't really recovered for how she was made to look like a chump for most of 2018. Charlotte vs. Becky or Bayley again is not quite as interesting to me.

Drew McIntyre I think was the right way to go this year in terms of the Rumble. I would say go ahead and give him the rocket push and see what happens. They floundered with McIntyre a lot after his initial return to the main roster, but he's finally got some momentum now and they need to maintain that. I'm not saying to give him the final slot at Mania because Mania is so long now that the main event is almost like a borderline death slot at this point.

A few more things now that my buzz has worn off.

Becky/Asuka was great. The build to the match all the way to the finish were very well done even if there wasn’t much tension since the winner wasn’t really in question. The women’s division could use some shaking up on Raw since it’s been based around the same four women for a while now, outside of Lana and Liv if you would even count that. Maybe that’s where Naomi will land (great to see her back too).

I legit LOL’d at Lesnar’s face when he saw Keith Lee coming out and again when he looked at Heyman to say “Who’s this motherfucker?!” That’s the true talent of Brock, he can get guys over with his expressions alone. It’s a shame he’s usually booked to squash them right afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

wait they brought back Todd Pettengill ?

yeah but i don't think he was there for the whole time. He talked about the fake Bill Clinton stuff.

Reminder for the folks who were concerned that almost the entire Men's Rumble field had been announced ahead of time.

6 people announced didn't actually participate in the match (Otis, Tucker, Rusev, Lashley, Buddy Murphy, R-Truth)

Never underestimate the company's ability to not deliver what they advertise

My understanding is Rusev/Lashley was a storyline thing and there was an "altercation" that caused them to get removed. Yes, WWE has had that problem a lot in 2019, but I think they did kind of explain this one?