DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

It's strange because on the paper, the song's lyrics are helluva corny. Yet, if I'm honest with myself, I'm still into Edge's theme music and welcomed its return on this day.  Sigh.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 2

Fun show. Legit didn't expect them to go through with Drew winning after he eliminated Brock, since that already was enough to set up the match. Glad they did though. Least predictable winner in a long fucking time.

Nothing except Drew winning and Edge returning that I'm likely to remember for very long happened on this show, but I mostly wasn't bored, so good enough.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

So why did they pull Russev and Lashley?  And who actually replaced them

Also how did Beth get busted open so badly in the back of her head.  That was gross

I thought that was very clever.

Builds thier match on Raw and gives a kayfabe reason for MVP & Edge to be in the Rumble.

Edge can legitimately claim he wasn't in the Rumble until moments before the show when Rusev & Lashley got pulled.

Best Rumble in a while. Loved Brock just MDKing people before Drew Mac got the huge rub.

Thought Brock was going to come back and cost Drew in the final 4 to set that up and see Roman face The Fiend. I still wonder if Bray even makes it to Mania as champ with all the Roman v Bryan rumours.

Either way, time for the Chosen One to take his place at the top. Hopefully he gets a little Broken Dreams stinger in that entrance ?

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

They should've used an actual scrub instead of Toni Storm. Unless their goal is to make her look shitty every time she appears on the main roster, which just might be the case between this and the Survivor Series. 

I bet she is in the Mickie James group of "Not fat enough to be a Fat Chick but too thick to be hot" in Vince/Dunn's view.

Meanwhile Twitter loves her thighs/ass almost as much as they love Alexa's.

On the Women's side I think we get Charlotte v Becky in the main event with Charlotte pointing out that she didn't lose last year and that Becky won't have what it takes to beat her with all that pressure.

• Like 1

Finished the show late since I saw Bad Boys for Life earlier.

Roman/Corbin was fine for what it was. Hopefully its the end of the feud.

The women's rumble was a mixed bag. Thought it had some decent moments. That said, they couldn't always keep things interesting. There were several questionable decisions in talent they brought in. And some were just having off moments in general. I'm mixed on Charlotte winning. Generally speaking I think it shouldn't have happened. There isn't an interesting match for her between taking on Becky and Bayley. That said, the crowd dug it. I think it would work had Asuka beaten Becky. As things stand now there is just no worthwhile match. I did like how Bianca was booked though I do wish she hadn't cracked the back of Beth's skull open. Shayna coming out as killed late in was neat. She really should have been the one to win this. I can only assume it didn't happen because she doesn't want to leave NXT. If that is the case then there is a problem they are going to need to eventually address with people trying to stay there long term because the main roster really does need some of them to move up if only to keep things fresh. This is especially true of the women. The lack of Sasha and Nia was odd.

Bryan/Fiend was good. It was nice to have a match w/o that dumb lighting, and they actually got the crowd to buy into it for just a second that Bryan had a chance.

Asuka/Becky was pretty good thought the way the crowd reacted really goes to show how much they have fucked the entire division up the last year or so.

Men's rumble was great. Other than a few bad decisions here or there they did a great job with the story they worked with Lesnar and giving the Drew the big rub and victory. Loved how everything with Seth and co. worked out, and Edge''s return was wonderful to see. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I wasn't fully paying attention but was Asuka vs Becky worth watching? 

Last night with Drew was like Keith Lee at Survivor Series, they can still make a guy a top guy in one night.

Yes to Lynch/Asuka.

Edited by The Natural

While watching and with how long it took for him to leave, I figured Brock was going to come back and somehow factor into Drew’s elimination, with Reigns winning to set him up with Bray at Mania. I guess they could still go with that direction, but with Bryan really being the only one built as the cause of The Fiend, it tells a better story to have him be the one to banish him after failing a couple times. The ending of their match kind of felt like a blow off tho, so that may not be the plan and the plan is for Roman to win the SD shot at EC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

That was a great show. We had a blast here in the homestead with a feast of food and a room full of adults and kids enjoying some wrestling.

How dare you. You must watch a bunch of stuff you hate to cleanse.

• Thanks 1

I missed the show because I was at work, but I was following along with it on social media. When I got home I went straight to the Men's Rumble match (I'll watch the rest of it another time).

For all the shit WWE takes for most of their decision-making, they did a hell of a job with this match. Straight-up chills when McIntyre won, and plenty of other great moments too (the Edge return, Lee going toe-to-toe with Lesnar).

Why don't they just make the entire plane out of the Royal Rumble?

• Like 2

I think Reigns/Fiend depends on how quickly you're prepared to dispense the Fiend as the guy 

Built him up as an unbeatable monster only to drop a fall 8 months later? On the other hand Roman cant afford another high profile choke.

I think a four way involving Corbin and Bryan makes more sense if you look past the need for Mania to be one vs one title matches. Adds a dynamic of vulnerability to the Fiend losing without being pinned. 

Interested to see who the fourth guy would be for AoP/Rollins/Murphy vs Joe/Owens/Black. Viking Raiders makes the most sense but Black seems to be added to the mix and has history with Buddy. I'll say Ricochet. On the other hand I expect there's an OC vs Rated RKO match in there too, so seems unlikely you go with two big multiman matches. Joe and Owens vs Rollins and Buddy for the tag straps seems doable. 

Could you do a hair and title vs career and mask match for Rey and Andrade?

I can't see Bayley making it to Mania as champion. It's just a matter of who takes her title beforehand and faces Charlotte. But where does that leave Becky? Time might be right for another winner take all four way between the Horsewomen and then have Shayna/Rousey/etc attack them the night after and force them to put their differences aside.

Charlotte winning was pretty much a foregone conclusion. So I wasn’t surprised. I like her but I also have no interest in her facing either Becky or Bayley at Mania. Favorite moment of the Rumble was Naomi returning, natural hair and all. I live. 

Becky/Asuka was pretty good as expected. And Bayley/Lacey was a thing. 

• Like 2

Did a quick scan so apologies if already mentioned but PWI is confirming that AJ Styles did hurt his arm on the landing after taking the spear from Edge

Nothing beyond that since he will be going in today for further tests

36 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I think Reigns/Fiend depends on how quickly you're prepared to dispense the Fiend as the guy 

Built him up as an unbeatable monster only to drop a fall 8 months later? On the other hand Roman cant afford another high profile choke.

I think a four way involving Corbin and Bryan makes more sense if you look past the need for Mania to be one vs one title matches. Adds a dynamic of vulnerability to the Fiend losing without being pinned. 

Interested to see who the fourth guy would be for AoP/Rollins/Murphy vs Joe/Owens/Black. Viking Raiders makes the most sense but Black seems to be added to the mix and has history with Buddy. I'll say Ricochet. On the other hand I expect there's an OC vs Rated RKO match in there too, so seems unlikely you go with two big multiman matches. Joe and Owens vs Rollins and Buddy for the tag straps seems doable. 

Could you do a hair and title vs career and mask match for Rey and Andrade?

I can't see Bayley making it to Mania as champion. It's just a matter of who takes her title beforehand and faces Charlotte. But where does that leave Becky? Time might be right for another winner take all four way between the Horsewomen and then have Shayna/Rousey/etc attack them the night after and force them to put their differences aside.

Jesus the thought of that 4-way with Corbin sounds horrible. That man needs to go away for along time, if not for good. 

i understand your point with blowing off The Fiend after 8 months, but is the reaction going to be that much bigger at 12/-8/24 months away compared to now? And that’s without worrying about the possible reaction Bryan would get for beating The Fiend being way greater than Reigns. And the reaction Reigns would get for beating him would be weaker 12 months from now imo, altho tbh I doubt there is much of a difference in reactions for Bryan be it now or later. I just think if it’s not those two now, I don’t think the gimmick that beats The Fiend for the first is currently on the roster.

a couple of quick thoughts.

Brock beating all the mid card guys only to be tossed by Drew is cool and all but you could have also made a guy like Keith Lee or Walter by putting them in the same spot.  You could do it with Walter and still have Drew eliminate him for the big pop and I don't think it would tarnish his win any in doing so.

Why was Sasha not on the show? She was doing signings in Houston and it was her birthday also.  Seemed strange. 

Did I miss it or did nobody point to the Mania sign this year?

Im not too much worried with reactions so much as realising the Fiend will be just another guy so soon.

Roman beats him at Mania. Beats him/retains in a couple of rematches. Then what?

I feel like you can keep the belt on him till Summerslam. If you can avoid Reigns dropping another big match. Especially if you don't plan on having them close the show.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Just so everyone knows this: Kevin Dunn is the producer, not the director. He's not the one missing shots. I'm not sure if it's still Kerwin Silfies, but I think so.

Cool.  

Fire him too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Thunder Down Under said:

Jesus the thought of that 4-way with Corbin sounds horrible. That man needs to go away for along time, if not for good. 

i understand your point with blowing off The Fiend after 8 months, but is the reaction going to be that much bigger at 12/-8/24 months away compared to now? And that’s without worrying about the possible reaction Bryan would get for beating The Fiend being way greater than Reigns. And the reaction Reigns would get for beating him would be weaker 12 months from now imo, altho tbh I doubt there is much of a difference in reactions for Bryan be it now or later. I just think if it’s not those two now, I don’t think the gimmick that beats The Fiend for the first is currently on the roster.

I am thinking Fiend loses to DB between now and Mania and we get Bryan-Reigns   which wouldn't be that bad of a match really. 

• Like 1