DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The Brock beatdown portion of the Royal Rumble needed shortening, sucks seeing the treatment of Cesaro and Rey Mysterio. Oh, John Morrison. Welcome back to WWE! 

Disagree. As annoying as it may have been, without that run the Drew elimination of Brock loses some of its shine. You needed to legit piss people off to get them to overreact to McIntyre.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The Brock beatdown portion of the Royal Rumble needed shortening, sucks seeing the treatment of Cesaro and Rey Mysterio. Oh, John Morrison. Welcome back to WWE! 

I don't understand the whining about Cesaro and Morrison getting shit on. And it isn't just you. That's where they are in the company. I especially have no pity for Morrison. Guy could've been a top star literally anywhere else in the world. Several former writers have talked about Vince's disdain for Morrison. Why would you go back?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Peck said:

Disagree. As annoying as it may have been, without that run the Drew elimination of Brock loses some of its shine. You needed to legit piss people off to get them to overreact to McIntyre.

I'd have just cut down an elimination or two. It worked out well.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this because I don't know if you're serious or not but what have you seen from The Fiend that makes you think him vs. Roman is going to be must see?  Orton vs. Edge...ok...maybe that's something.  

"Women do things"   ..  like what? What women's match are you looking forward to? 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My friend made me laugh like hell when he said "I stepped away from WWE for 2 years and the first thing I see is Roman winning a match and Charlotte winning the Rumble. Nothing's changed"  

Besides maybe McIntyre vs. Lesnar what on the WrestleMania card is fresh?  What's new? Why should anyone care? 

Dude, you didn't ask for what was "must see." You asked what on the card is fresh or new or why should anyone care. Matt D gave multiple examples and then you moved the goalposts. Don't do that.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Dude, you didn't ask for what was "must see." You asked what on the card is fresh or new or why should anyone care. Matt D gave multiple examples and then you moved the goalposts. Don't do that.

It's all the same people at the top of the card besides Drew being in there.  It's still Brock, Roman, Becky, Charlotte.. 

The Rumble is always the best. It never fails in terms of entertainment.

I loved how this year's booking of it so much. They did such a great job of feeding Brock some obvious guys to toss over and then some good legitimate threats like the New Day + Rey segment. His elimination was great because Ricochet got some just deserts (not just for him but for everyone Brock's tossed around) and Drew made himself a main eventer with that one elimination. 

The second half was really fun. It had all sort of great stuff -- a cool nostalgic run from Edge, Edge and Randy doing fun Rated RKO stuff, Seth Rollins and his gang of dudes and a good semi-surprise in Drew. That said, I really do not see what anyone else sees in Drew. The guy's a good enough wrestler in the ring but I don't remember any matches he has been in that made me say "oh, wow, that guy is awesome." And he's a snooze of a promo, too. He's just not my cup of tea I guess.

I'm also of the exact opposite of opinion of Charlotte and have been since Day 1. I think it's pretty clear that she's the best in the woman's decision. She's been in as many great matches as anyone has since she arrived. She's really charismatic. She's friggin' Ric Flair's daughter. Like... NOT pushing the athletic freak daughter of the most beloved wrestler of all-time who has shown time and time again that she can have MOTYCs pretty consistently is doing wrestling wrong. I thought it might have been Shayna with the win but Charlotte absolutely rules.

• Like 3

That Brock section of the Rumble was indistinguishable from watching someone else play the Rumble on a video game. It was worse than that time Big Show and Kane just unceremoniously started dumping guys out.

Even if you think it was important for Lesner to run through guys, that was the least interesting way of doing it.

• Like 1

Xavier Woods going off during the Royal Rumble was hilarious. It’s worth a look. He even goes nuts about the Edge spear cuts.

Woods was basically in untouchable give no craps mood tonight. 

Edited by TheVileOne

55 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I'm also of the exact opposite of opinion of Charlotte and have been since Day 1. I think it's pretty clear that she's the best in the woman's decision. She's been in as many great matches as anyone has since she arrived. She's really charismatic. She's friggin' Ric Flair's daughter. Like... NOT pushing the athletic freak daughter of the most beloved wrestler of all-time who has shown time and time again that she can have MOTYCs pretty consistently is doing wrestling wrong. I thought it might have been Shayna with the win but Charlotte absolutely rules.

Quoted for truth.

I'd be perfectly fine with Charlotte- Becky or Charlotte- Sasha or Charlotte-Asuka at WrestleMania ....because they have really great matches. You can keep 'fresh' and 'new' if it is ultimately going to suck. They should definitely invest more time in getting performers like Sarah Logan or Kairi Sane ready for the main event but who they have on top now deserve to be there. 

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

Really liked both Rumbles this time.  Absolutely awesome run from Bianca, looking like a star. Alexa hanging in with her for the first half was cool. Popped for Chelsea Green using Summer Rae's original "So Cool" theme but then she was gone in under a minute. Cool to see Mercedes involved. I absolutely thought Shayna was winning all the way, especially when she came in and tossed 7 people in under 2 minutes. Was surprised not to see a Nia Jax surprise return. Wasn't for sure if Sasha was injured but the last thing I recall seeing was when she got utterly crushed by Dana Brooke's swanton. I'm one of the few that love Charlotte so I was thrilled for her to win. Though admittedly I have zero excitement about seeing her against Becky or Bayley ever again, so that had me hoping for Lacey but no. After hating last year's, this womens rumble I liked more like the first one. I did think during the Rumble, and watching WWE 24 afterwards really drove it home, but where the hell are the IIconics

the Brock section was an absolute blast. Even though I did hate seeing certain guys wasted in seconds (Morrison, just cause I hoped his return would be better and no avoid elimination spots) and I could've gone for a little more MVP but Brock dancing to MVP's epic theme was greatness. Drew getting the big elimination was awesome and felt star making with that perfect crowd reaction. Edge return was great, even if it was silly in retrospect how adamant he was that he was not cleared. Aleister's elimination was weak. As it neared the finish, I still thought Roman would win it but what a cool moment for McIntyre to get the big win. Happy to not have predicted either winner of the Rumbles. Rest of the card was a whole lot of nothing but can't go wrong with two highly enjoyable Rumbles. My interest in Raw had dropped off the last few weeks so hopefully Drew's win will rejuvenate things back to watching again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hooker said:

That Brock section of the Rumble was indistinguishable from watching someone else play the Rumble on a video game. It was worse than that time Big Show and Kane just unceremoniously started dumping guys out.

Even if you think it was important for Lesner to run through guys, that was the least interesting way of doing it.

I disagree, because it got to the point where it became believable that Brock could win it from #1, not just because it built up suspense for whoever was finally able to topple him. Once he eliminated both Lee and Strowman, it became a scenario of "Yeah Roman's probably winning it, but Lesnar is now the second most likely guy to win", which helped McIntyre's improbable win just as much too.

I feel like they could have made 3 guys tonight - the first guy to hang with Brock longer than a minute (Lee), the guy who eliminated him (McIntyre) and the guy who won the thing.

Felt a bit flat when Lesnar hung around at ringside for a while, and McIntyre was distracted, and it went nowhere, it was just Lesnar being gassed. "McIntyre eliminates Lesnar, and is cost his dream of winning the Rumble by Lesnar in retaliation" is just as good a story as "McIntyre eliminates Lesnar and goes on to win it too". Especially when you throw in that the probable Reigns/Fiend match is just going to be thrown together with maybe 6 weeks to build to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Rumbles were both predictable. You knew Charlotte was going to win because there really wasn't anyone else ready to push into a Wrestlemania spot. Yes, she's Charlotte Flair, the daughter of Ric - but she's being used exactly like her dad. When they couldn't think of anything else to do they would just throw Ric out there and called it a night without any real reason. 

You knew Brock was going to plow through everyone when he was entering in at #1. That was the whole point. Once he was eliminated by Drew and they kept focusing in on Drew giving the stink eye to Brock that was foreshadowing him winning and setting up Drew vs Brock at Wrestlemania. Roman Reigns is now essentially used as a main event decoy. I think his future is looking more like Orton than Cena... his runs on top will just be "there", and you'll forget about them as soon as he drops the belt and moves on to a lower card feud before they swing him back up top again when they run out of acts for a main event feud. 

By the time the RAW Womens Championship Match rolled around I was expecting Asuka to win solely based on there hadn't been a title change all night. That to me was the biggest surprise not having a single title change hands on a Big 4 PPV.

• Like 2