DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

That sucks as surprise entrants are a key part of the Royal Rumble match especially the genuine ones.

Surprise entrants have been pretty underwhelming in recent years. Probably the last couple of highlights was Jericho entering at #1 in the 2013 Rumble and AJ Styles debut (although kind of knew that one was coming).

• Like 2

Is this rumored Edge return supposed to be at the Rumble? 

Him debuting at 29 or 30 would also lessen his potential in ring time. I'd think entering that late would mean maybe 5 or 10 minutes tops. 

Edited by odessasteps

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is this rumored Edge return supposed to be at the Rumble? 

Don't know but I would think that'd be the perfect time for him to come back.  If any of my friends care I may even place a $1 bet on it just for giggles.

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Surprise entrants have been pretty underwhelming in recent years. Probably the last couple of highlights was Jericho entering at #1 in the 2013 Rumble and AJ Styles debut (although kind of knew that one was coming).

Those count. 2013-present: Bubba Ray Dudley/DDP (2015) Rey Mysterio and Andrade (2018).

Only seven male wrestlers have gone an hour in a single Royal Rumble match:

1. Daniel Bryan, 01:16:05 (GRR, 2018) 

2. Rey Mysterio, 01:02:15 (2006)

3. Chris Benoit, 01:01:31 (2004)

4. Bob Backlund, 01:01:10 (1993)

5. Triple H, 01:00:15 (2006)

6. Chris Jericho, 01:00:13 (2017)

7. Ric Flair, 01:00:02 (1992)

Mysterio, Benoit and Flair won their Royal Rumble matches. Flair just snuck into going over a hour by two seconds. Wonder who'll be this year's Iron Man and Iron Woman?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Thing is that’s six without guys like Ali or the Viking Raiders announces. I could easily see that accounting for 3 of them.

Since New Day is in, I'm assuming Miz and Morrison will be too. Very low expectations for real surprise in the mens rumble, similar to the last few.

• Like 2

I mean they have still only announced 5 women for the women's Rumble yet we still know at least 15 other people who will definitely be in it. Does it actively make it better for people when Carmella comes out because they didn't announce her ahead of time?

Or are we just willfully ignoring know data like who is actually on the WWE roster

This Rumble is especially weird because there's 500 wrestling promotions trying to raise their own profile and have guys tied down.

Can't really wow with some mystery signing, which is why people are hanging on the Punk/Edge rumors so hard.

maybe  Kane, mayyybe Taker or Goldberg although I'd say no to both (by the time taker made it to the ring it would be the next 2 entrants time to enter)   Even if they gave us Punk OR Edge it would be big enough to cover the whole rumble as far as surprises go. 

Edge denied it 3 times but really what do people expect him to do? Ruin the surprise.    Punk would be huge and could give us AJ lee.  Only problem is for that to work you would need to have the mens rumble first because if AJ is a surprise it would almost guarentee Punk since AJ wouldn't return without him.  

But do we really need guys like Otis, R-Truth in the rumble?

All the concern I've seen about Charlotte heading into this show is weird. I'll certainly enjoy her winning as a fan of both her and the dumb takes it'll incite. But where does she even go if she wins? I like to think her interactions with Becky are misdirection because that match has been done to death, but this company has been making a lot of dull choices lately so who knows. They're probably not splitting her and Andrade up, so it's doubtful she gets into the mix on SmackDown. So the only other option you really have with a Charlotte win is Asuka taking the belt from Becky and Charlotte threatening to rob her of another major accolade. There's some meat on the bone there, but it would mean you'd need something huge to justify taking Becky out of the title scene. Anything short of Rousey probably wouldn't cut it, but if you have Rousey then the best route to Mania is a Rumble win and her avenging her fluke title loss at last year's Mania. Nothing really works quite right with a Charlotte win unless there's some other option I've not considered. 

Given the way things have gone leading into this show, the most reasonable choices to win the Rumble should be

1. Ronda Rousey (if available) to challenge Becky
  2. Shayna Baszler to challenge Becky
  3. Sasha Banks to challenge either Bayley or Lacey
  4. Charlotte Flair to challenge ???

I tend not to listen to doomsayers about Charlotte being overpushed at the expense of the other women. But in this one instance, where it's difficult to see the path forward, I'm willing to listen. Becky-Charlotte is the 2020 equivalent of Cena-Orton. 

Amusingly, Orton was teasing Cena on social media a few months ago trying to coax John into a Mania match. It's still too soon dammit. 

*takes off overly-critical hat* Let's go Charlotte!

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I have a feeling Charlotte is gonna be the iron woman of the women's match. Same deal as her dad at Number 3. I mean she's not doing anything else, so they need something for her.

That seems like the obvious setup. She isn't winning, and its an obvious accolade to play off of, especially with Ric having won it in that role.

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

am I wrong in thinking this is the first rumble in a while where the male winner isn't overly predictable?

I think it's fair to suggest that while the pool of potential winners for both Rumbles is pretty small and reasonably predictable, they haven't rode anyone too hard as a heavy favourite in either. 

That said, I doubt either Rumble result tops the one from a couple years ago where with like two days to go before the event Randy Orton somehow became the betting favourite. I couldn't believe that odds swing and nothing on TV leading up to the Rumble tipped me off to it. Maybe other people will recall that differently, but nothing about Bray vs Orton at that point screamed "title match at Mania." 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy