DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

20 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This show doesn't need more matches. It needs fewer. I hope both of these are on the pre-show, and I say that liking all four guys. 

4 "World" champions and 2 1 hour battle royals where "anyone/everyone" can qualify for future bouts against those "world" champion.  That's already 3.5 to 4 hours filled, and a perfect kayfabe excuse [as I think I mentioned up thread] to not have the midcard belts defended and to not burn through a potentially hot/appealing matchup that could be a selling point on a future PPV instead of the rumble, which people watch for the rumble itself/rumbles themselves

Just because they can run a 6 hour show on their own network doesn't mean they should

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Considering their priorities, they should. These dumb shows that go on forever are all about bolstering metrics for the Network.

WrestleMania this year will probably be 36 hours long.

DID YOU KNOW?

"Wrestlemania is now the longest live entertainment show on record, beating the previous record set by the unedited version of Goethe's Faust..."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I mean, fuck, they already have 24 of the 30 guys announced at the moment. Not that much room for surprise entrances.

That sucks as surprise entrants are a key part of the Royal Rumble match especially the genuine ones.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

That sucks as surprise entrants are a key part of the Royal Rumble match especially the genuine ones.

Surprise entrants have been pretty underwhelming in recent years. Probably the last couple of highlights was Jericho entering at #1 in the 2013 Rumble and AJ Styles debut (although kind of knew that one was coming).

• Like 2

Is this rumored Edge return supposed to be at the Rumble? 

Him debuting at 29 or 30 would also lessen his potential in ring time. I'd think entering that late would mean maybe 5 or 10 minutes tops. 

Edited by odessasteps

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is this rumored Edge return supposed to be at the Rumble? 

Don't know but I would think that'd be the perfect time for him to come back.  If any of my friends care I may even place a $1 bet on it just for giggles.

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Surprise entrants have been pretty underwhelming in recent years. Probably the last couple of highlights was Jericho entering at #1 in the 2013 Rumble and AJ Styles debut (although kind of knew that one was coming).

Those count. 2013-present: Bubba Ray Dudley/DDP (2015) Rey Mysterio and Andrade (2018).

Only seven male wrestlers have gone an hour in a single Royal Rumble match:

1. Daniel Bryan, 01:16:05 (GRR, 2018) 

2. Rey Mysterio, 01:02:15 (2006)

3. Chris Benoit, 01:01:31 (2004)

4. Bob Backlund, 01:01:10 (1993)

5. Triple H, 01:00:15 (2006)

6. Chris Jericho, 01:00:13 (2017)

7. Ric Flair, 01:00:02 (1992)

Mysterio, Benoit and Flair won their Royal Rumble matches. Flair just snuck into going over a hour by two seconds. Wonder who'll be this year's Iron Man and Iron Woman?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Thing is that’s six without guys like Ali or the Viking Raiders announces. I could easily see that accounting for 3 of them.

Since New Day is in, I'm assuming Miz and Morrison will be too. Very low expectations for real surprise in the mens rumble, similar to the last few.

• Like 2

I mean they have still only announced 5 women for the women's Rumble yet we still know at least 15 other people who will definitely be in it. Does it actively make it better for people when Carmella comes out because they didn't announce her ahead of time?

Or are we just willfully ignoring know data like who is actually on the WWE roster

This Rumble is especially weird because there's 500 wrestling promotions trying to raise their own profile and have guys tied down.

Can't really wow with some mystery signing, which is why people are hanging on the Punk/Edge rumors so hard.

maybe  Kane, mayyybe Taker or Goldberg although I'd say no to both (by the time taker made it to the ring it would be the next 2 entrants time to enter)   Even if they gave us Punk OR Edge it would be big enough to cover the whole rumble as far as surprises go. 

Edge denied it 3 times but really what do people expect him to do? Ruin the surprise.    Punk would be huge and could give us AJ lee.  Only problem is for that to work you would need to have the mens rumble first because if AJ is a surprise it would almost guarentee Punk since AJ wouldn't return without him.  

But do we really need guys like Otis, R-Truth in the rumble?