DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

49 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, that's in large part because Seth Rollins is awful.

There was a collective sense of "Well, there goes the whole year. They really have no direction." when he won last year. It more or less turned out to be true.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Roman Reigns vs Baron Corbin has been added because for a company with an enormous roster the thing they needed most was two guys pulling double duty.

They should at least add some stakes to it, like Loser is Entered at #2 or something.

But knowing, WWE, they want Roman to win the match and Corbin to win the Rumble.

Honestly, I think #2 will be someone "interesting" but will not get the job done.  3,4,5 descending likelihood, then somewhere around 6, then you send in whoever it actually will be that gets Brock out. 

Hopefully it's Keith Lee, but it's probably someone like Tyson Fury. 

• Like 2

I know we do this every year - but boy is it lean trying to get to 30 women

Using WWE.com rosters

1. Alexa Bliss
  2. Nikki Cross
  3. Billie Kay
  4. Peyton Royce
  5. Charlotte Flair
  6. Kairi Sane
  7. Lana
  8. Liv Morgan
  9. Natayla
  10. Sarah Logan
  11. Zelina Vega
  12. Carmella
  13. Dana Brooke
  14. Lacey Evans
  15. Mandy Rose
  16. Sasha Banks
  17. Sonya Deville

So that is 17 women who could be in. (Lacey most likely is facing Bayley but history has shown that doesn't mean she won't be in.)

Now if you count folks who theoretically could return from injury

Nia Jax, Ruby Riott, Naomi and Tamina you are at 21 but God - four injury returns is really overdoing it for one match.

And that means you still have to do 9 of returning Divas and NXT/NXT UK folks. I mean I guess saying NXT IS THE THIRD BRAND is fine and all but when... for the third straight year the are just meaningless filler, who cares?

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And that means you still have to do 9 of returning Divas and NXT/NXT UK folks. I mean I guess saying NXT IS THE THIRD BRAND is fine and all but when... for the third straight year the are just meaningless filler, who cares?

I mean, one of those 9 is definitely Shayna, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say she's at least a top 3 or 4 candidate to win it all. (Charlotte, Alexa, maybe Sasha) being the others. Add Duke and Shafir, that's 6 left. Three NXT upper carders (Bianca, Io, Candice). Three legends.  That's 30. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I mean I guess saying NXT IS THE THIRD BRAND is fine and all but when... for the third straight year the are just meaningless filler, who cares?

That's something I've been wondering about, actually. Have they said anything about whether NXT gets ten slots in each Rumble this year? 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, one of those 9 is definitely Shayna, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say she's at least a top 3 or 4 candidate to win it all. (Charlotte, Alexa, maybe Sasha) being the others. Add Duke and Shafir, that's 6 left. Three NXT upper carders (Bianca, Io, Candice). Three legends.  That's 30. 

My point wasn't that they couldn't find 30 bodies it is more that they really shouldn't be.

Throwing everyone in who isn't Shayna is a waste. Especially when they all go back to NXT like nothing happened. I mean Io and Candice "debuted" in last year's Rumble. Wheee!

But this is also back to point (that the men have too) that because of the gimmick there is really only 3-5 realistic winners every year and everyone else is out there trying to not fuck up.

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Genuinely wondering: How many times have they actually adhered to the standard that each of the main roster brands get an equal number of entrants? I know they've done it or talked about it a couple times, but they generally don't hold themselves to that standard. 

For the women - the breakdown has been

• RAW - 8
  • SDL - 10
  • NXT - 2
  • Free Agent - 10

• Raw - 12
  • SDL - 9
  • NXT - 5
  • NXT UK - 1
  • 205 Live - 1
  • Free Agent - 2 (Both NXT callups who hadn't been assigned brands)

So very small sample size but basically the main brand that has won has had slightly less people than the other brand

And quickly eyeballing the men's Rumbles (since the last split)

SDL has always had 11 people. RAW always has at least 15.

So it looks they go with the rough 3 to 2 ratio they use for the draft.

The year that had almost no surprises all the extra spots went to RAW

If I'm not mistaken, Brock is undfeated when Heyman does that "not a prediction, that's a spoiler" bit. So I'm not completely ruling out him winning the whole damn thing. (Likely being taken out but not eliminated then coming back at the end, not actually working an hour)

Otherwise, they need to make sure his elimination is the biggest deal possible.

I'll tell you what they should do, baby!

Open the show with Reigns Goldberging Corbin.  Shirts off for The Big Dog!

Men's Rumble second.  Lesnar at 1.  Big E 2.  Lesnar tosses E.  Rusev from Rusev Day at 3.  Bob from Lana Day at 4.  Lesnar tosses Rusev.  Then Elias plays out at 5.  Lesnar tosses a distracted Bob.  Kofi at 6.  Lesnar tosses Elias.  Otis at 7.  Tucker at 8.  Now Lesnar's getting rocked a little by the triple-team.  Ali at 9.  Lesnar clears the ring.  IT'S BIG DOG TIME at 10!  Reigns eliminates Lesnar.  11 Styles.  12 Bob Roode.  13 An Uso.  14 Ziggler.  15 McIntyre.

>>FAST FORWARD>>

Remaining after 26: Reigns, Styles, Another Uso, Murphy, Rowan.  Seth Rollins in at 27.  Big Show at 28.  Rowan, Uso out.  Clock ticks down for 29 and it's BUNKHOUSE BUCK!  Show, Styles eliminated.  Corbin at 30.  Reigns tosses Murphy.  AOP and Murphy help Rollins eliminate Reigns.  Corbin tosses Rollins from behind.  Buck clocks Corbin with his boot and wins the 2020 Royal Rumble!  It's sign-pointing season in Bucksnort, baby!  It's The Fiend vs. Bunkhouse Buck for the WWE Championship at the Showcase Of The Immortals, WrestleMania!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Two Styles stats:

This will be AJ's first Royal Rumble match since his WWE debut in the 2016 Royal Rumble match, you know when Kevin Dunn cut away. 

The first time AJ won't be in the WWE Championship match at the Royal Rumble, he was from 2016-2019.

Edited by The Natural