DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Ideally Brock wins and goes through all 29 guys.

It'd be a spectacle if nothing else and probably goes a long way toward re-establishing Brock as "not just another guy".

Wait, what? Brock is the only wrestler they haven't treated as just another guy in the last 15 years. They've sacrificed the entire roster to make him look strong for years now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't dislike Roman in fact he's been awesome.  That said,  is another coronation what we want on this menu? 

Roman winning again really has to be presented as him being the only one who can possibly stop the Fiend. It's just way too early to do that (though next year's Mania is probably going to be too late). 

The men's Rumble will open the show.  Brock and whoever is #2 will start.  #2 will eliminate Brock immediately.  Brock gets to go home early.

Brock is working right now like me at work: Do whatever it takes to spend as little time as possible working.

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Wait, what? Brock is the only wrestler they haven't treated as just another guy in the last 15 years. They've sacrificed the entire roster to make him look strong for years now.

And since getting beat by Rollins a heap this year, he's now just another guy again, irrespective of that.

Assuming that the goal is for someone to go over Lesnar at Mania - it has to mean something. It didn't last year.

Edited by RolandTHTG

49 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, that's in large part because Seth Rollins is awful.

There was a collective sense of "Well, there goes the whole year. They really have no direction." when he won last year. It more or less turned out to be true.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Roman Reigns vs Baron Corbin has been added because for a company with an enormous roster the thing they needed most was two guys pulling double duty.

They should at least add some stakes to it, like Loser is Entered at #2 or something.

But knowing, WWE, they want Roman to win the match and Corbin to win the Rumble.

So who is the best option for #2 to get that reaction vs Brock?

Do they put Cain or Riddle in for a pop and immediately send Brock home? Some random jobber like Eric Young or Curt Hawkins to get dumped in 4 seconds? A midcarder like Ziggler to fight for the mins and get dumped before the next entrant?

I feel like we are going to get 3-4 jobbers, then maybe a Ziggler type struggle, before number 8-10 is Cain/Riddle/Lee and they hammer Brock and dump him immediately.

Honestly, I think #2 will be someone "interesting" but will not get the job done.  3,4,5 descending likelihood, then somewhere around 6, then you send in whoever it actually will be that gets Brock out. 

Hopefully it's Keith Lee, but it's probably someone like Tyson Fury. 

• Like 2

Other options:

Let Brock go close to breaking the record for eliminations, then Reigns is the 'brick wall' at number 10 before the next entrant dumps Brock out. Keith Lee is the one taking out Brock here, leaving he and Roman to stare down once again.

Kofi in at #2, Brock immediately hurls him out but we get a Kofi Rumble Spot and they keep going. This happens 3 or 4 times while Brock is throwing out other people before eventually, Kofi is the one to eliminate Brock. There has always been talk of breaking up the New Day, maybe Kofi is now torn between staying on SD with his friends or moving to RAW to get back the title from Brock? Then if it doesn't work you can always send Woods+Big E to RAW in the next shake up.

• Like 1

I know we do this every year - but boy is it lean trying to get to 30 women

Using WWE.com rosters

1. Alexa Bliss
  2. Nikki Cross
  3. Billie Kay
  4. Peyton Royce
  5. Charlotte Flair
  6. Kairi Sane
  7. Lana
  8. Liv Morgan
  9. Natayla
  10. Sarah Logan
  11. Zelina Vega
  12. Carmella
  13. Dana Brooke
  14. Lacey Evans
  15. Mandy Rose
  16. Sasha Banks
  17. Sonya Deville

So that is 17 women who could be in. (Lacey most likely is facing Bayley but history has shown that doesn't mean she won't be in.)

Now if you count folks who theoretically could return from injury

Nia Jax, Ruby Riott, Naomi and Tamina you are at 21 but God - four injury returns is really overdoing it for one match.

And that means you still have to do 9 of returning Divas and NXT/NXT UK folks. I mean I guess saying NXT IS THE THIRD BRAND is fine and all but when... for the third straight year the are just meaningless filler, who cares?

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And that means you still have to do 9 of returning Divas and NXT/NXT UK folks. I mean I guess saying NXT IS THE THIRD BRAND is fine and all but when... for the third straight year the are just meaningless filler, who cares?

I mean, one of those 9 is definitely Shayna, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say she's at least a top 3 or 4 candidate to win it all. (Charlotte, Alexa, maybe Sasha) being the others. Add Duke and Shafir, that's 6 left. Three NXT upper carders (Bianca, Io, Candice). Three legends.  That's 30. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I mean I guess saying NXT IS THE THIRD BRAND is fine and all but when... for the third straight year the are just meaningless filler, who cares?

That's something I've been wondering about, actually. Have they said anything about whether NXT gets ten slots in each Rumble this year? 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, one of those 9 is definitely Shayna, and I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say she's at least a top 3 or 4 candidate to win it all. (Charlotte, Alexa, maybe Sasha) being the others. Add Duke and Shafir, that's 6 left. Three NXT upper carders (Bianca, Io, Candice). Three legends.  That's 30. 

My point wasn't that they couldn't find 30 bodies it is more that they really shouldn't be.

Throwing everyone in who isn't Shayna is a waste. Especially when they all go back to NXT like nothing happened. I mean Io and Candice "debuted" in last year's Rumble. Wheee!

But this is also back to point (that the men have too) that because of the gimmick there is really only 3-5 realistic winners every year and everyone else is out there trying to not fuck up.