DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIII - 1/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm still irrationally angry that Santino didn't get to Cobra Del Rio off the fucking planet.  

Just have him lose the title shot the next day, but they robbed themselves of a moment for the damned ages. 

We're in agreement. Santino Marella wins the 2011 40 man Royal Rumble match and loses the title shot either the next night on RAW or at Elimination Chamber. Still miffed at that one. WWE fucked up.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Re: Charlotte, it's still early but I think she'd be fourth if I were to rank likely Rumble winners. Shayna or Ronda feel like Becky's likely Mania opponent, so one of them could have a real shot if Becky retains over Asuka. For SmackDown, I don't see anyone on the horizon other than Sasha. I'd only start worrying about a Charlotte win if Asuka beats Becky. 

They shouldn't bother with Becky vs Charlotte for at least two years. That combination is Cena-Orton levels of played out. 

I'd be very surprised if Asuka beats Becky Lynch. You get the story that Lynch walked out WrestleMania XXXV WWE RAW/Smackdown Women's Champion and she's going into WrestleMania XXXVI with the WWE RAW Women's Championship.

The Women's Royal Rumble favourites right now I'd say are Ronda Rousey, Shayna Baszler, Sasha Banks, Alexa Bliss and Charlotte Flair. I think Sasha has a good chance of winning if the first two aren't in. Banks hasn't won a big match since she returned, this might be the one. Rather not have Flair win but I can see it this year. WWE would promote it as like father, like daughter.

I could see them having an NXT guy (like Ciampa) winning and then saying he’s going after the main brand’s title at Wrestlemania and challenging the NXT champ for the belt. Honestly, it feels like the perfect cap for Ciampa’s return, continues to establish NXT as a “main roster” brand, and would be unpredictable.

Charlotte has no chance of winning, and anyone thinking otherwise is just looking for an excuse to be angry. Women's rumble will be won by Bazsler or a returning Rousey. There are no other realistic choices unless one of them gets injured.

An NXT guy winning the Rumble would be great. Them going on to challenge of the NXT Title would be dumbass and negate the point of the Rumble. The Rumble is about the Wrestlemania main event. NXT got their time to shine during SS and we saw that it ultimately didn't make much difference in ratings. Something like this wouldn't make one either and would just potentially hurt Raw and Smackdown.

Becky/Asuka should be good. Asuka doesn't have a chance in winning, but I'm fine with that. She doesn't need it right now, and the time for Becky to lose the belt before WM passed when she beat Sasha at HIAC. 

Fiend/Bryan is weird to me be cause it really should have been saved for WM with Bryan winning. I don't think Fiend loses before then, and Bryan was the only guy who i think the crowd would have accepted beating him. I feel sorry for the poor bastard (probably Roman) who ends up Bray's WM opponent. They are going to booed mercilessly trying to work that match as a face. Would be nice to see Bryan win and WWE build to Roman/Bryan, but that would be sensible.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Fiend/Bryan is weird to me be cause it really should have been saved for WM with Bryan winning. I don't think Fiend loses before then, and Bryan was the only guy who i think the crowd would have accepted beating him. I feel sorry for the poor bastard (probably Roman) who ends up Bray's WM opponent. They are going to booed mercilessly trying to work that match as a face. Would be nice to see Bryan win and WWE build to Roman/Bryan, but that would be sensible.

I like The Fiend but nothing tops my love for Daniel Bryan when it comes to wrestlers. In my ideal world, Bryan beats the Fiend for the WWE Universal Championship at the Royal Rumble or WrestleMania XXXVI. It's a testament to Bryan's talents that the crowd were behind him at the Survivor Series. Fans would accept the Fiend's first loss to Daniel Bryan. The majority of wrestlers will get booed against the Fiend and that goes for Roman Reigns. Reigns tends to get that treatment more so at a WrestleMania.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I guess I should have pointed out in my scenario, Ciampa challenging for the title would be presented as a Wrestlemania main event.

NXT has its own event right before Wrestlemania to sell. They don't need a Wrestlemania main event.

It would seem like a weird choice after they've been doing fuck all with her for over two years, but I like it better than most of the other options. I know I don't need to see any of the Same Four Women win. Naomi needs more than being a dancing, smiling babyface to really get over with the crowd. They need to let her kick ass, and they need to stop basing all her creative on her being the wife of An Uso.

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

It would seem like a weird choice after they've been doing fuck all with her for over two years, but I like it better than most of the other options. I know I don't need to see any of the Same Four Women win. Naomi needs more than being a dancing, smiling babyface to really get over with the crowd. They need to let her kick ass, and they need to stop basing all her creative on her being the wife of An Uso.

I don't have a problem with that but if they are going to do it, go all the way. Form that Bloodline Stable with Roman, The Uso's and Naomi. Only issue I have with that is they need an older statesmen type, the guy that's seen it all to lead them. 

20 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

With the Usos returning last night, what about the possibility of Naomi winning the Rumble? Or at least being the SD challenger for their Women's title

Going for Bayley after winning the Rumble seems weak. I do like the idea of Naomi challenging, just not as the rumble winner.

11 hours ago, dokdoyle said:

I don't have a problem with that but if they are going to do it, go all the way. Form that Bloodline Stable with Roman, The Uso's and Naomi. Only issue I have with that is they need an older statesmen type, the guy that's seen it all to lead them. 

That's gotta be someone other than Rikishi.

Since the ship probably sailed on Bianca Bel Air having a truly meaningful NXT Title win,  why not have her breakout moment be winning the Rumble instead? Even though she has much more potential as a heel (in addition to the fact that NXT women 's division stand-outs are fed shit sammiches sooner than later when they are introduced as faces on the main roster) it might mean a little something if she was the one to finally end Bayley's current reign at WrestleMania. I mean not really, though.

Any winner of the women's Rumble that challenges the other brand instead of Becky is going to look as small-time and lame as the men's winner choosing to challenge for the NXT Title.  Obviously Becky's challenger is going to be Ronda or Shayna. They could always pull some convoluted garbage where a surprise winner like Bianca Bel Air lost their shot to one of those two before WrestleMania, particularly if it's Shayna. Of course, that's also the sort of bullshit that nullifies one's big breakout Royal Rumble win.....being goaded into losing your title shot before WrestleMania.  I guess root for Bianca Bel Air and hope they (any winner that isn't Ronda or Shayna since one or both of them has to be set in stone as Becky's WM challenger) have a reason that isn't too stupid for challenging Bayley instead. 

This is a serious question:  If Charlotte isn't in one of the title matches then what is her role at WrestleMania?   Her whole gimmick is centered around being champion for better or worse. 

She's either going to be in one of these title matches or they find a legend for her to face but they already did the Trish match. 

1 minute ago, Morganti said:

Tag title match

Becky will be in a title match she'd need a different partner.   Charlotte & Lacey Evans vs. Kabuki Warriors?   Actually, I think Lacey Evans will be the Smackdown Women's Champion heading into WrestleMania also. Maybe they'll continue the Dana Brooke comeback and have her and Charlotte. 

Still seems too small for Charlotte.  I don't think they'll have her that far down the card. 

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky will be in a title match she'd need a different partner.   Charlotte & Lacey Evans vs. Kabuki Warriors?   Actually, I think Lacey Evans will be the Smackdown Women's Champion heading into WrestleMania also. Maybe they'll continue the Dana Brooke comeback and have her and Charlotte. 

Still seems too small for Charlotte.  I don't think they'll have her that far down the card. 

Mania shoot wedding with Andrade. 

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is a serious question:  If Charlotte isn't in one of the title matches then what is her role at WrestleMania?   Her whole gimmick is centered around being champion for better or worse. 

She's either going to be in one of these title matches or they find a legend for her to face but they already did the Trish match. 

She faces whoever isn't facing Becky between Rousey and Shayna. 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It might be too close to Lana/Lashley to run another wedding but I think that'd be a cool way to debut someone.  Have them ruin Charlotte's wedding. 

Welcome back David Flair

• Haha 1