DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I wonder how many GT40's Tony Khan has laying around for signing bonuses. 

Also, I don't know about you, but I sure don't know if Mox is going to join Chris Jericho and his merry band of alcoholics or not! Guess we'll see what happens next week! 

Thoughts:
Arn Anderson may be coaching Cody, but he must have watched Darby working over Cody's Shoulder time and time again with a smile on his face. It was almost Anderson-like in targetting.  And then Cody with the leg work on Darby. Very slow paced, but really good mat-based match to start

They couldn't stop calling Cody "Rhodes".

Is it me, or does Allin start to look like a 2020 version of Sting, especially the way he sells the Figure Four and fighting spirit?

Thought for sure we were going to have another 20 minute draw, and then a no-time-limit third match.

Women's Four Way started out pretty quick. A FALCON ARROW ON NYLA? Shida is the real deal (especially after going through the table earlier in the match). Rose giving Riho an out for when she loses the title next week with the post match attack?

Trent vs Moxley was a good TV event, no real doubt who the winner was going to be. Not sure why they repeated the I pin you, no you pin me, no I pin you spot from the opener. Should've gone straight to the finish after the paradigm shift on the walkway.

Damn, Dustin is still going at a high level. That bridged neck crank by Guevara was GNARLY with a capital GNARL. Always good to see the Atomic Drop (even if it's inverted). DUSTIN RHODES IS DOING A CANADIAN DESTROYER IN 2020? Nice cheap win for Sammy.

Not sure that picture in picture of MJF mugging with the crowd for three minutes was useful in any way, shape or form. He does have a talent of riling up the crowd however.

They really need a six man tag title to continue these great matches.

• Like 7

So I guess the main questions for next week show is who will the Memphis legends be and how awful is it going to look when the Dark Order beats the crap out of them

Have to think Adam Page is turning heel because they need to justify why Adam went from being the chosen one in the company to a drunk who can't win 

So I guess the main questions for next week show is who will the Memphis legends be and how awful is it going to look when the Dark Order beats the crap out of them

The Superstar?

handsome jimmy? 

downtown Bruno? 

Edited by odessasteps

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I swear if the Exalted One turns out to be Hangman Page...

I saw the idea pitched elsewhere, but what if the Exalted One turns out to be "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels? 

I like that idea. 

Of course, a villain whose friends abandoned him starting a cult in order to have a family could also be a possibility. 

I also like the Dark Order buying their airtime now. It makes them feel like outsiders that aren't actually part of AEW.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The Superstar?

handsome jimmy? 

downtown Bruno? 

I would think Dundee and the Rock and Roll Express are no brainers.  Maybe they can get Dutch Mantell since Hager is working there.   JImmy would be funny to see him at his age and frame trying to sell those god awful punches from the Dark Order minions

Although I am kind of confused why they are promoting Memphis wrestling legends in Mississippi?  They did run there? 

Edited by hammerva

8 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The Exalted One! To tie up the issue with too many cults they should have Brandi mention the same person in passing next week.

Then at the PPV we get a Kevin Sullivan red herring and finally the big Dark Lord Haku reveal. 

If the Dark Lord were Haku, that would only lead to more speculation about an AEW/New Japan relationship. Is Haku merely the on-screen face of the actual Dark Lord? The dark lord takes his mask off and reveals...

...GEDO!!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Southaven is in the Memphis metro just across the state line.

Though I mean, a legends event in Mississippi...what’s the worse than can happen? I wonder if Jake still has 22...

If he's not able to be there due to his condition, one would hope AEW would at least acknowledge Kamala.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

I just want a Reggie B Fine cameo with Private Party. And Dave Brown to replace JR on commentary for the night.

Fun show tonight. Cody/Darby was about the best outcome they could do. Arn was great in his role. I think he should join up with the Hangman when he turns on Cody. Might be able to save the character.

Women's match was good too. Britt has potential as a heel. Nyla was the dominate monster she should be and Riho/Shida were good as the go go babyfaces. Hope Kris wins next week but I doubt it if she's not signed full time.

Best thing about the main was the Bucks basically yelling at Fenix and Pentagon to get in their corner and follow the tag rules. It was really noticeable.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Then at the PPV we get a Kevin Sullivan red herring and finally the big Dark Lord Haku reveal. 

Naw dude, Sullivan should just be Sullivan, with Haku in the King Curtis role. 

*Tongan yelling* SULLIVAN!!! *Tongan yelling*

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't take anyone wearing one of those old Italian dude hats seriously. Or someone who wears a sock cap over their eyes who doesn't carry a gun. 

I'm very fond of those caps and have a few myself. Those old Italian guys are the ones to be afraid of. Even if they can't physically do anything to you anymore, you know they have people to do the job. Just replace the Italian mafia with Bullet Club in Gedo's case.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie