DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

It was during the Evil Uno promo, but interesting that you mention the bald man with Brandi.  Apparently the bald man is Dr Luther.  From what I gather he’s a western Canadian former fmw performer and old pal of the Lionheart’s (correct?).  And yes, I see a possibility that he is the exalted one, but doesn’t quite make sense.  Definitely Marty is the likely exalted one.  I think they’re just delaying his debut.  Perhaps to pair him on debut with Big Brodie Lee(?).

edit: late to hit the reply button.  I like @Technico Support‘s theory.  Works for me.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

The Exhalted One being an unknown Canadian indy vet would go over like a fart in church.  Another option is that they don't have anyone yet and they'll stretch it out with the idea that they'll hire someone later.  I know that worked really well in the Black Scorpion angle.

EDIT: I was reading @Goodear's mind while I posted this.  Buddy, if booking an angle with an unknown payoff was good enough for Ole Anderson, it's good enough for you!

Edited by Technico Support

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It was during the Evil Uno promo, but interesting that you mention the bald man with Brandi.  Apparently the bald man is Dr Luther.  From what I gather he’s a western Canadian former fmw performer and old pal of the Lionheart’s (correct?).  And yes, I see a possibility that he is the exalted one, but doesn’t quite make sense.  Definitely Marty is the likely exalted one.  I think they’re just delaying his debut.  Perhaps to pair him on debut with Big Brodie Lee(?).

edit: late to hit the reply button.  I like @Technico Support‘s theory.  Works for me.  

Correct on all counts regarding the good Dr. If you listen to Jericho's podcast and remember the episode he did when he had Don Callis, Lance Storm and someone else on because it was his anniversary then Dr. Luther was the someone else. Seen him many, many times back when my friends and I would make the trip up to BC from Seattle to go to ECCW shows back in the late 90s. 

When I was semi regularly attending eccw, he was doing his retirement run. He's charismatic in some sense but physically beat to shit and limited, so I'd be surprised if he's anything more than a lackey goon or talker at this point. Does point to cronyism though. 

Thanks for the info on Luther.  I suggested the possibility was interesting that he is the exalted one, but highly doubt it.  I agree it would not go over.  Further he seems to be a lackey of Brandi.  Brandi as top boss is also a possibility but I seriously doubt it. It’s Marty, and I don’t buy any indecision on his signing with aew by his roh and NWA appearances. There was even a quote from Cody suggesting that Marty’s current choice is not a permanent one or something to that effect (anybody have that quote?).  Anyway, whomever is the exalted one I highly doubt they’re not locked in.  Again, might be buying too much into Marty’s photo tweet with Brodie Lee, but i suspect they may debut together.  

Lastly, I’m gonna make a prediction, likely already been mentioned, but I see a bit of a run for Cody with Arn until he turns and debuts his new team of Wilder and Dawson. Leading to a feud with the Rhodes’.  Sorry feeling Shadowy today.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Coming up on this late because I fell asleep during the showing and only woke up long enough to catch Jericho and Dustin/Guevara: 

- Open was GREAT. Darby is a star. 

- Women's match was sloppy and I don't like four-ways anyway. Riho straight up does not look like a wrestler. I'm not gonna argue that point, just stating. 

- Trent does not to need to go like that with Moxley. Five minutes too long. Trent deserves more than a jobber, but not that much. 

- Jericho better really be half in on that car

- Sammy is great in all respects and Dustin can shit on a plate and hand it to me and I'll say it rules. JR saying "I'd say Boomer-Sooner but he doesn't deserve it" about Jake warms my heart.

- MJF needs the Dynasty behind him, the gimmick needs its Entourage. Cody bleeding out in a cage is gonna rule though. He should start blading the eyebrow scar. 

- I have no interest in the main. But fuck, PAC has taken all the PEDs. Leave some for somebody else dude. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

When I was semi regularly attending eccw, he was doing his retirement run. He's charismatic in some sense but physically beat to shit and limited, so I'd be surprised if he's anything more than a lackey goon or talker at this point. Does point to cronyism though. 

There's cronyism all over the place. Just glad to see a fellow Canadian who does not suck at bad as Spears get paid because of the cronyism.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Coming up on this late because I fell asleep during the showing and only woke up long enough to catch Jericho and Dustin/Guevara: 

- Open was GREAT. Darby is a star. 

- Women's match was sloppy and I don't like four-ways anyway. Riho straight up does not look like a wrestler. I'm not gonna argue that point, just stating. 

- Trent does not to need to go like that with Moxley. Five minutes too long. Trent deserves more than a jobber, but not that much. 

- Jericho better really be half in on that car

- Sammy is great in all respects and Dustin can shit on a plate and hand it to me and I'll say it rules. JR saying "I'd say Boomer-Sooner but he doesn't deserve it" about Jake warms my heart.

- MJF needs the Dynasty behind him, the gimmick needs its Entourage. Cody bleeding out in a cage is gonna rule though. He should start blading the eyebrow scar. 

- I have no interest in the main. But fuck, PAC has taken all the PEDs. Leave some for somebody else dude. 

If you remember near the end of 2018 the clip of the guy being slammed through the ring in a cage match, the guy being slammed was Jack Pollock. The guy doing the slamming was Wardlow.  I could see them doing something similar and having Wardlow slam Cody through the ring.   It would show dominance for Wardlow and end the match without either guy losing. 

There's lots of ways to book Wardlow-Cody.  I see a Wardlow victory by hook or by crook.  MJF lifts the must win policy (is that a thing?  Did he say Cody had to face Wardlow or defeat Wardlow?).  And then immeditaley issues Cody his desired 10 lashes.

Who is 'Preston Vance' tagging wtih Shawn Spears on Dark?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

There's lots of ways to book Wardlow-Cody.  I see a Wardlow victory by hook or by crook.  MJF lifts the must win policy (is that a thing?  Did he say Cody had to face Wardlow or defeat Wardlow?).  And then immeditaley issues Cody his desired 10 lashes.

Who is 'Preston Vance' tagging wtih Shawn Spears on Dark?

Wrestles as "Vanilla Vance" in Georgia -- trained at QT Marshall and Glacier's Power Factory school outside Atlanta.

• Thanks 1

A cage match lets Cody win by escape and keep Wardlow strong-ish.

I just hope they get the Cody/MJF S&M show out of the way before the Kansas City Dynamite. I'm taking my wife to her first wrestling show and don't feel like explaining that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

A cage match lets Cody win by escape and keep Wardlow strong-ish.

I just hope they get the Cody/MJF S&M show out of the way before the Kansas City Dynamite. I'm taking my wife to her first wrestling show and don't feel like explaining that one.

I'm guessing Cody "survives" and wins the match against Wardlow and then post match is when MJF whips the shit out of Cody.

It's possible they don't go with escape = win rules. I would hope their cage match rules are that you can only win by pinfall, submission, or CRITICAL/KO and if you leave the cage then you lose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's possible they don't go with escape = win rules. I would hope their cage match rules are that you can only win by pinfall, submission, or CRITICAL/KO and if you leave the cage then you lose.

Yes, and good point. AEW REALLY does not need to do WWE cage rules. They need to do fucking Tully vs. Magnum rules. 

• Like 4