DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

STUFF I LIKED:

• From a presentation standpoint, I liked the different look of the arena and enjoy AEW's willingness to let unique spaces stand out, as opposed to WWE's production mentality of making every building (except whatever stadium hosts Mania) look like the same sterilized, homogeneous set.
  • Booking needs to be a little more focused.  Are we supposed to be concerned with Statlander/Riho, Rose/Riho, or Baker/Riho?

Regarding setting, I did like the uniqueness of the area but I found the Dailey's Sign distracting to the eye at certain points. 

At first I was wondering if they were setting up a Shida-Rose program after the table spot but it doesn't look like it. I do appreciate that the angles are intermixing somewhat as everyone should be after the champ and not waiting their turn especially since Riho just wasn't on the show for two months. That being said, they need to have a goal in mind to build to and I'm not seeing what that is at this point. It feels too random and unfocused. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why anyone would think doing a destroyer is hard when you're basically taking a backdrop and holding on. Taking it would seem to be the hard part.

Who thinks doing a destroyer is hard? If you're talking about what I said, then I was more referring to the fact that Dustin has been doing these indy-riffic moves for a minute now, so nobody should be surprised. I fully expect him to hit a crazy top rope move before the year is over.

Edited by Casey

Pretty great show. Loved the opening video focusing on 'can the Elite prove they are still Elite" after their recent losses, very well done. First hour felt very all action. Cody/Darby was awesome again. Loved the finish. "Arn gave him the signal so he knew what to do!" Cool use of the coach/advisor. Womens 4 way was a lot of fun, love Riho finding ways to win. Baker coming at Riho later on despite her string of losses but just because she's been there every week was amusing but I like Riho having to fend off all these challenges and having issues with Nyla, Baker, and Kris next week. Riho/Kris should be great with multiple ways to go with Riho being hurt from the table spot here or Nightmare Collective getting involved. Trent looked his best against Moxley. For all the talk of Canadian Destroyers, I did think Dustin's looked particularly killer and well-executed, especially brutal on the apron. Fun main event and closing.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Moxley vs Trent

Nice main eventer vs midcarder match here. Trent looked good and has done so previously in the singles match with Pac.  It might benefit him to concentrate on being a singles guy as Taylor hasn't really caught on with me yet.

This was the direction New Japan seemed to be going  with them prior to them signing with AEW.  I doubt Trent signed with the intention of staying a tag guy forever, so hopefully they’ll get back on that track sooner than later.  The way he took that gut bump on the ropes into splatting on the ramp was just picture perfect.

Chuck is very similar to Jimmy Havoc in that, if you say he’s bad, someone will inevitably bring up something great he did, like, 5 years ago.  But, man, Whatever he may have had back then does NOT show up on film these days.  I think he would be better off transitioning to an announcer or something, because he’s a legit funny dude and did well on some NJPW color duty last year,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Blah, double post.

Ill just add that I hope Kenny didn’t hurt his shoulder too badly last night.  He was majorly favoring it during the post-match.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Who thinks doing a destroyer is hard? If you're talking about what I said, then I was more referring to the fact that Dustin has been doing these indy-riffic moves for a minute now, so nobody should be surprised. I fully expect him to hit a crazy top rope move before the year is over.

Not so much about you specifically as the general sentiment you see online of ‘omg so and so did a destroyer’. It’s the least well protected move in the world now in record time.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I swear if the Exalted One turns out to be Hangman Page...

Page wouldn’t make much sense.  My money is on Marty.  I’d love to see what a clean and sober ddped Jake Roberts could do as a mouthpiece.  

Super fun show.  I agree with all the praise here.  Great action, good to great talking.  Big rebound.  Can’t say I didn’t expect this.  Mistakes will happen, but when a promotion is open to criticism and take pride in producing an excellent product I see nothing to worry about.

Arn shouting for the knees and Cody executing his coach’s advice was likely my highlight of the night.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Page wouldn’t make much sense.  My money is on Marty.  I’d love to see what a clean and sober ddped Jake Roberts could do as a mouthpiece.  

Super fun show.  I agree with all the praise here.  Great action, good to great talking.  Big rebound.  Can’t say I didn’t expect this.  Mistakes will happen, but when a promotion is open to criticism and take pride in producing an excellent product I see nothing to worry about.

Arn shouting for the knees and Cody executing his coach’s advice was likely my highlight of the night.  

I'm leaning toward Marty being the Exalted One as well. A clean and sober Jake Roberts should have been the higher power, damn it!

I think everybody is leaning towards Marty being the Exalted One, and I think he should reveal that the Dark Order and Nightmare Collective are all under the... umbrella... of Villain Enterprises - but I worry about this lately, since he keeps agreeing to more and more ROH dates (but nothing past January as of right now, IIRC).

My money is definitely on Marty Scurll, though. Hangman being the Exalted One would be a total WWE move.

• Like 2

Yeah, fuck Hangman joining the Dark Order. Only good link is the loser bit but a drunk cowboy playing dressup with nerdlingers kills him imo. It's better off being either Scurll or a talker like Roberts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

When I first heard of the Canadian Destroyer - it sounded like a death move...but then I saw it in action and thought it was one of the most contrived moves I've ever seen. 

Me too,  It grew on me though, it looks alot more believable when it's done off the turnbuckle, I feel the same about the Spanish fly, it takes me out of a match from a standing position especially when you have guys that are the smallest that use it. Dustin's hight makes the Canadian Destroyer look more believable than some scrawny indie wrestler.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I think everybody is leaning towards Marty being the Exalted One, and I think he should reveal that the Dark Order and Nightmare Collective are all under the... umbrella... of Villain Enterprises - but I worry about this lately, since he keeps agreeing to more and more ROH dates (but nothing past January as of right now, IIRC).

My money is definitely on Marty Scurll, though. Hangman being the Exalted One would be a total WWE move.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, fuck Hangman joining the Dark Order. Only good link is the loser bit but a drunk cowboy playing dressup with nerdlingers kills him imo. It's better off being either Scurll or a talker like Roberts.

This is where I'm at too. I posted about the idea that Marty is behind all of the chaos, which was someone else's idea to be fair, and I hope that still comes to pass. And maybe it's apeing too much of Sting vs the nWo, but Marty should then be the one courting and trying to corrupt Page. Have Page and Kenny win this week and have Page keep teasing that he wants some distance from the Elite. Then just have Page go full lone wolf.

However, I think they're keeping Page as the exalted one in their back pocket in case they can't sign Marty or someone else, in which case, oof, that is indeed a WWE move. It would be like the Higher Power, but worse. I remember at the time thinking that the only person big enough to be the Higher Power would be Pillman and WWE elaborately faked Pillman's death, which is ridiculous. Barring that, I figured it would be Jake Roberts. And then it was Vince because they had bigger ideas for who the higher power would be and Vince was the fallback plan in case signing Roberts or Christopher Daniels didn't pan out.

BTW, whoever mentioned that Darby and not Cody was the Sting of this promotion is spot on. When I was watching the match I had that exact same thought so it was neat to then come on here and see the same idea posted.

While I feel like AEW could pull off the idea as one leader of both factions together, it feels really convoluted.  I jokingly mentioned an org chart earlier and holy shit, that's just what we'd get in this case.  "Marty Scurll is the leader of Villian Enterprises, with Evil Uno running the Dark Order division under him and, also under Scurll, Brandi Rhodes running The Nightmare Collective division.  Rhodes and Uno have their own direct reports and full control over their own hiring practices, which may include forced hair chopping and after-dark woodland fight clubs.  Both Rhodes and Uno are Marty's direct reports but there is also a dotted line to the Nightmare Family, see slide B-35 for the separate chart outlining this organization."  Yeah, save that stuff for my workday, thanks.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1