DVDVR Message Board

NXT - WINTER 2020

Dolfan in NYC

Gonna switch this to a quarterly thread since NXT is still a minor league/main roster hybrid, so they merit their own thread. 

Anyway, no weekly thread this week as they did a Best Of '19 show today.

PUT MALCOLM BIVENS ON TV. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

yu4eIIDHtBfpIazGI20abzuYS5-ollsviyuiNT_1

Figured UK would get involved with the lack of teams appearing on regular NXT. The lack of Breezango saddens me. Dunne and Riddle seem like a lock to win this, but I hope I'm wrong with so many legit teams who are also good-great participating. So Kushida's partner pretty much has to be Shelley, right?

• Like 1

So I'm watching last night's NXT, because it was the first one on BT Sport. And it's the 2019 year end awards. Really not fitting into Vince's whole 'Anyone watching for the first time must be able to understand everything they're seeing" philosophy. I don't really know who most of these people are, and these match clips make what are presumably long, possibly psychologically sound matches look like disjointed spotfests.

There's a lot of the 'Seth Rollins is not cool' factor with some of these characters. This Undisputed Era gimmick, I think it's supposed to be like these are the elite athletes and toughest guys here, but they don't look tough. Like, at all. And the awful music, and the goofy pose they do... I hope they're supposed to be heels.

OK, this women's Wargames match is good. But the tag team ladder thing that opened the show, that made a bad first impression.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Fandango is Hurt thus why no Breezango in the Dusty Classic. 

Yeah - for those that didn't seem Dango got hurt in their last TV match which I think was mid-Dec

He tweeted a picture with his arm in a sling and said he had to have Tommy John surgery

Now the good news for him is that he isn't a MLB pitcher so his recovery will be a lot shorter but he is still on the shelf for like 6 months

It also seems fairly obvious that the Finals will be at When Worlds Collide and it will work out to be a NXT vs NXT UK team.

Why they didn't just make the brackets one side NXT and one side NXT UK OR just run it as a one day tournament as part of WWC is beyond me

1 hour ago, AxB said:

There's a lot of the 'Seth Rollins is not cool' factor with some of these characters. This Undisputed Era gimmick, I think it's supposed to be like these are the elite athletes and toughest guys here, but they don't look tough. Like, at all. And the awful music, and the goofy pose they do... I hope they're supposed to be heels.

OK, this women's Wargames match is good. But the tag team ladder thing that opened the show, that made a bad first impression.

Yes, UE are heels and part of their gimmick is that they’re supposed to be tough guys but aren’t.

And you’re right, that ladder tag match was a low light of NXT last year. Total car wreck. The women’s War Games was fantastic and I highly recommend watching it in full when you can.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It also seems fairly obvious that the Finals will be at When Worlds Collide and it will work out to be a NXT vs NXT UK team.

Why they didn't just make the brackets one side NXT and one side NXT UK OR just run it as a one day tournament as part of WWC is beyond me

It'd be kind of odd to have Imperium in the Dusty Classic and already have a match at Worlds Collide if the finals are indeed at WC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxB said:

OK, I'm willing to ride with you that a stable with the total combined weight of 375 lbs. isn't the toughest looking group, but that theme is pretty dope and it fits.  Any song that has a Kyle O'Reilly air guitar break can't be that bad.

• Like 2

Perhaps it'll grow on me. But as a first look at the brand, doing a year end awards deal where every single one of the men's trophies were won by this one stable, and then having highlights of matches involving those lads that didn't seem mindblowingly awesome or anything, made it look like it's a bland brand carried by the women's division. And for all I know, it isn't that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Perhaps it'll grow on me. But as a first look at the brand, doing a year end awards deal where every single one of the men's trophies were won by this one stable, and then having highlights of matches involving those lads that didn't seem mindblowingly awesome or anything, made it look like it's a bland brand carried by the women's division. And for all I know, it isn't that.

I think they're a good to great heel stable, mostly because they're all undersized dickheads who can actually bring it in the ring.  I don't know how many mindblowingly awesome matches they had in 2019, but I'd say they have far more awesome matches than below average matches.  Adam Cole is someone who can get a little over the top, but I don't see any reason not to like O'Reilly, Fish, or especially Rodrick Strong.  

• Thanks 1

They have announced a North American title #1 contenders match for the next NXT TV Show

Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic vs. Damian Priest vs. Cameron Grimes

They have not announced when the actual title match would be (reminder the next Takeover isn't till mid February so it's doubtful they would wait till then)

4 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Isn't Shelly still signed with ROH? Or was that just a short term deal?

I think he is another ROH person who has a contract that expires at the end of the month (or already expired and was working on a handshake deal like Marty Scurll was doing)