DVDVR Message Board

Most Ridiculous Horseshit on TV

OSJ

How big was Danger Mouse in America? Because they just did a "how we made..."  article on it in the paper yesterday, and David Jason said it's the only thing Americans know him for. Apparently they had to re-dub the evil crow's lines for the USA version, because he had a strong Italian accent on the original British version. Didn't want to offend the Mafia.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 1:52 AM, Phil4126 said:

So not only is there a shoe that is called My Feet are Killing Me, there is actually something called The Toe Bro? We are in the darkest of timelines

This broke my brain for a second...show and shoe are far too closely spelled.  I really wanted to know who would spend money building a shoe company called "My Feet are Killing Me."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was part of the Nickelodeon afternoon block with Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, etc. IIRC. I dug it. 

I remember Danger Mouse. I liked when Nickelodeon starting showing Underdog. I also enjoyed when MTV started playing Speed Racer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

How big was Danger Mouse in America? Because they just did a "how we made..."  article on it in the paper yesterday, and David Jason said it's the only thing Americans know him for. Apparently they had to re-dub the evil crow's lines for the USA version, because he had a strong Italian accent on the original British version. Didn't want to offend the Mafia.

It was a really popular kids show. Just about all of the kids I knew watched it.

One of the DangerMouse boxed set volumes has some of the original British episodes and Stiletto's accent is decidedly Italian.

• Like 1

They would record dialogue with all the voice cast together in the studio. Two takes of the script, then one take of "just improvise around it, the animators can match it later". Which was usually the take they used.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

DM was huge when it aired locally on channel 5 in NYC... to the point where there was a big uproar after it got pulled to make way for Mayor Koch's weekly affairs show. Turns out DM was quintupling Hizzoner's viewing audience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, happjack said:

Bar Rescue on The Paramount Network(SpikeTV) is the trash show that really sucks me in, 

Same here, but mostly because it makes me laugh how every episode is EXACTLY the same. 

We open at the Bar with John doing "recon" with someone else. He sends in a "spy", sees something he doesn't like, goes in and yells at the owner (walking in with his chest puffed out to show what a big important guy he is) and tells them to clean the place up or he won't come tomorrow.

Next day, staff meeting. We find out the owner has some sort of personal issue that has been plaguing them for months or even years that they haven't been able to overcome yet somehow one 5 minute conversation with Jon Fucking Taffer sets everything straight. 

Next day, bar re-opens and everyone is all smiles and hugs and they all lived happily ever after. 

And this is supposed to be REALITY television?

• Haha 1

Here's my little Bar Rescue story. From 2006 to 2013 I worked at a strip club called The Bustop in north Boulder, Colorado. I was a DJ/ Doorman/ Bartender but mainly DJ. (If you were male, you were expected to handle most anything.) Around 2012 or  early 2013 the owners were approached by the producers of the TV show. We were all pretty excited because the place was struggling and we figured the exposure plus any free renovations would be a great thing for the club. So one night the producers assistant or whatever picked a number of of the staff, including myself, to do two group sit down interviews that they filmed. They asked us what our problems were, and none of them were cleanliness or anything like that. We just needed a renovation and better promotion. The club had been around since the early Seventies and had been a hot spot for decades including when I first started. The only specific question I recall was the lady asking us if we would argue with Taffer, and my co-worker Zach said he definitely would.

We were not chosen. Fast forward to last year when the Stop was closed for good and the entire property was sold to developers to make an "Artists space with affordable housing". Affordable to who, I have no idea, as Boulder is ridiculously expensive to live in. I drove by the property the other day and everything has been torn down and construction is under way. 

By the way, the place was definitely used for money laundering. Here's an article

https://www.boulderweekly.com/entertainment/the-last-dance/

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

Am I wrong or did they give that loser a marriage rescue show? I stopped seeing ads for it, so I assume it didn't last. That'd be like making me a marriage counselor.

Discovery Channel is a shadow of it's former self, but some of the shows can really help you put your life into perspective.

I felt myself feeling a bit down lately because my mom's beloved Yorkie has been diagnosed with Renal Failure and I know whose going to have to deal with it when it comes time to put him to sleep.

Between that and the other crud In my life I have to deal with, I found myself wallowing more than usual.

So yesterday I was flipping through channels started watching an episode of the Impossible Row on DC.  For you peeps not in the know, the Impossible Row is about super badass, Colin O’ Brady and his crew's attempt to make the the world's first completely human powered ocean row across The Drake Passage - from the southern tip of South America to the edge of Antarctica.

The Drake Passage is the most treacherous sea passage on planet earth.  It's where the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and several polar seas all collide in a perfect shitstorm of insane weather and nearly unpassable water.

So, these guys are in a fucking rowboat in the middle of a horrible storm with 40 foot swells and frigid sea water and rain coming down on them in sheets and what to they do?  

They start singing Bob Marley's Redemption Song.  And they're all smiling.

It was at that time that I learned what a little bitch I am and that I need to tighten up my shit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

On 1/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, happjack said:

Bar Rescue on The Paramount Network(SpikeTV) is the trash show that really sucks me in, Friday Night Tykes was the other but the Esquire Channel disappeared a few years ago.

The bart my friends and I frequented in the early tens got picked for Bar Rescue.  It was a punk-themed (but not all that punk) dive called the Brixton.  Bar Rescue turned them into an 8-bit-games themed place, painted a really cool mural out front with Mega Man and Shyguys and stuff, overhauled their works (new fridge new taps etc) and painted the interior.  Left the old bar top with pistol molding, didn't really do anything cosmetic to the interior that couldn't be undone.  Within a month of their contractual obligation to accept the new name etc, they had reverted to the Brixton decor.  The only remnants of Bar Rescue were the free fridge, taps, etc, the mural outside and a couple of Scott Pilgrim-themed drinks on the specials menu.  

No mentions of how Sundance went from a channel with decent movies to being the Law& Order an Mash marathon channel?

Pretty much every big cable channel has gotten a bad case of channel rot. It feels like every channel Universal owns shows hours every day of L&O and L&O SVU.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

No mentions of how Sundance went from a channel with decent movies to being the Law& Order an Mash marathon channel?

Pretty much every big cable channel has gotten a bad case of channel rot. It feels like every channel Universal owns shows hours every day of L&O and L&O SVU.

Reminds me of how IFC is the Three Stooges / Batman Network on weekend mornings.

Remember when Sundance Channel only showed movies that premiered at the SFF?  Me too.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, AxB said:

David Jason said it's the only thing Americans know him for

This blows my mind... but then again I can't see Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours or Frost translating very well for US audiences ?

It's the cultural differences. When Roseanne was on Channel 4 in the 80s, British people had a hard time getting their heads around that it was supposed to be about a struggling working class family because their house was fucking huge. You could fit an entire British home just in their living room.

Only Fools and Horses might have worked across the pond. Steptoe and Sons did, kind of (it became an African American family, for reasons probably best explained by an American). So did In Sickness and In Health, with comedy bigot Alf Garnett (which became All in the Family, with comedy bigot Archie Bunker).

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Steptoe and Sons did, kind of (it became an African American family, for reasons probably best explained by an American). 

NBC wanted something to counter the juggernaut ratings of CBS's All In The Family so they hired the creator of All In The Family, Norman Lear, to develop a show centered around African-American edgy racial humor in the same way that All In The Family seemed to celebrate Archie Bunker's Caucasian blue collar bigotry.

Allegedly, co-creator, Bud Yorkin, was a fan of Steptoe and Son so he convinced Lear to use the mechanics from the show to create Sanford & Son. 

The rest is television history.

For those of you who were curious, the actual name of the theme to Sanford & Son is "The Streetbeater" by Quincy Jones.  It was a track on his 1973 album, You Got It Bad, Girl.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

BTW, I had totally forgotten they did an All in the Family spin-off in 1994 where a black family (headed by John amos) moved into Archie and Ediths old house. 

It was pretty bad, all I remember from it was the son was a conservative and Joey Stivic(Gloria & Mike’s son) shows up to see the old house and eats all their food.