DVDVR Message Board

Most Ridiculous Horseshit on TV

OSJ

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

AMC was nothing but movies from the 50s when it started.  Now it's the occasional Better Call Saul oasis in a desert of The Walking Dead.

Good Lord, is there anything on tv more tiresome than the fucking Walking Dead? The show should have ended two or three seasons ago. Kathy absolutely loves it and I would suffer through it back when it was followed by a perfectly good post-apocalyptic bit of nonsense (that I think JT and I were the only people that watched). Now there is absolutely no reason to watch it; when the breakdown of the night's episode ("Talking Dead") is far more entertaining than the episode itself you have major problems. Re-booting the series six years into the future did nothing except magnify the already ridiculous holes in the plot.  The idea that there are two (if not three) Walking Dead films in the can is really worrisome when we already know the outcome thanks to the time-skipping crapola on the tv series. There's really not much of a reason to watch the films as they apparently center on Rick trying to escape from wherever it is that he's been taken to get back to his family. Meanwhile, on the tv show, no Rick and no Maggie; so I guess we sort of know how that all wound up. At least we have the consolation of Morgan running around poking people and zombies alike with a stick...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Good Lord, is there anything on tv more tiresome than the fucking Walking Dead? The show should have ended two or three seasons ago. Kathy absolutely loves it and I would suffer through it back when it was followed by a perfectly good post-apocalyptic bit of nonsense (that I think JT and I were the only people that watched). Now there is absolutely no reason to watch it; when the breakdown of the night's episode ("Talking Dead") is far more entertaining than the episode itself you have major problems. Re-booting the series six years into the future did nothing except magnify the already ridiculous holes in the plot.  The idea that there are two (if not three) Walking Dead films in the can is really worrisome when we already know the outcome thanks to the time-skipping crapola on the tv series. There's really not much of a reason to watch the films as they apparently center on Rick trying to escape from wherever it is that he's been taken to get back to his family. Meanwhile, on the tv show, no Rick and no Maggie; so I guess we sort of know how that all wound up. At least we have the consolation of Morgan running around poking people and zombies alike with a stick...

This makes me really glad I never got into The Walking Dead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This makes me really glad I never got into The Walking Dead.

Just my opinion, but it's been pretty much spinning wheels for the last two or three seasons. Having Negan do more or less of a face turn doesn't work for me since (apparently unlike most viewers) I am possessed of a memory and have distinct recollections of Negan killing off beloved characters by bashing their skulls in with a baseball bat. I'm afraid that all the amusing one-liners in the world doesn't really make up for the wholesale slaughter; but that's just me... 

Kathy: "Negan's changed, he's a good guy now!"

Me: "Wasn't it two seasons ago that he bashed Abraham's and Glenn's heads in with a baseball bat? Just checking to keep my facts straight, but he's a good guy now, right? Or at least until he bashes someone else's head in with a baseball bat... I suppose they could break down a wall and have him start with the writers, but that's probably asking too much..."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On Optimum, we get Classic Arts Showcase. One day, I'm going to get lucky and flip it on to see Pavarotti singing Pagliacci.

I liked Bravo when it would air the 100 Scariest Movie Moments. I wish it had been released on dvd because I would have bought that and watch it every Halloween.

There's a Pavarotti documentary doing the rounds on the Showtime channels right now, and the 100 Scariest Movie Moments are on Youtube as Rippa pointed out a couple months back.

• Thanks 1

The season premier of Dr. Pimple Popper and series premier of My Feet Are Killing Me totally delivered. I'm one of those sickos that likes watching videos of things being squeezed and removed. I really like watching ingrown toenail removal videos.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:04 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It's TLC. Giant and deformed humans and Dr. Pimple Popper and Untold Stories of the ER. Because people like my parents just HAVE to watch some shit where there is a person with a meathook embedded in their skull or a giant tumor that has to be removed. Fuck, I'd rather watch a cannibal flick, you might as well call that The Mondo Channel. 

TLC is incredible.  There aren't many shows on TV funnier than '90 Day Fiancee'.  I mean, the guy who had sent in the high 5 or 6 figures to his girlfriend in Russia who sent him videos where she referred to him as "My husband" or "My love" to show how much she loved him before one of his friends finally said "Dude, has she ever referred to you by name in any of these videos? How do you know she's not sending them to anyone else?"  Then goes ahead and buys her an engagement ring and a plane ticket to Mexico to meet her where she doesn't show up, and he "has" to go ahead and have their romantic dinner for two by himself, while the violins play etc. etc. and it's PUNISHINGLY sad but also really, really funny.

I'm also in awe of the sheer amount of content that TLC creates with this show.  So they have '90 Day Fiancee' where Americans bring their fiancees from other countries over and that's about a 9 episode "season" with a live finale.  Then they run a season of 'Before the 90 Days' which details the events leading UP to '90 Day Fiancee', then another season of '90 Day Fiancees' and they alternate back and forth all year.  Meanwhile, during '90 Day Fiancee', they also run '90 Day Fiancee: Pillow Talk' which is that night's new episode of '90 Day Fiancee' with commentary from couples from previous seasons where they laugh and make fun of the people that aren't them, even as they do the same things they just did.  Also, while this is going on they run "new" episodes of '90 Day Fiancee' which are edited together two hour episodes of the individual couples with "new" footage spliced in.  Also, last year they spun one of the couples off into their own 10 episode season.  It's absolutely fascinating that they create so much content out of so little, and it all just dominates in the ratings and social media trending and the like.  WWE should hire their creators away, because they have the model so nailed.

I actually think the worst horseshit on TV is major network sitcoms.  It was Drew Magary who was talking about how when you watch football you get all these ads for sitcoms that no one  you know ever seems to watch that are all the same.

and every once in a while I will stumble across one and it's just the BLANDEST, shittiest most dull premise.  And every joke is like when you see 'Family Guy' and they're making fun of a sitcom and you go "Oh they're bad, but this is ridiculous" and then you seen an actual sitcom and you realize they are underselling it.  Like everyone bitches about 'The Big Bang Theory' but when you compare it to the other  big network sitcoms, BBT is basically 'Seinfeld'.  And that is BAD.  I remember trying to watch the 'Murphy Brown' reboot and lasting like 30 seconds where it seemed like the writers had never seen an actual news broadcast, written a joke, or spoken to another human being before.

Edited by caley

30 minutes ago, caley said:

Like everyone bitches about 'The Big Bang Theory' but when you compare it to the other  big network sitcoms, BBT is basically 'Seinfeld'.  And that is BAD.

No, just no. Even as god awful as current sitcoms are, BBT will still never be Seinfeld. I'll give you Fraiser, but not Seinfeld.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, just no. Even as god awful as current sitcoms are, BBT will still never be Seinfeld. I'll give you Fraiser, but not Seinfeld.

I actually prefer BBT to Seinfeld... I'll give you Seinfeld's high points as the best comedy on TV, but for consistency, I'll take BBT. Yeah, Frasier belongs in the discussion, but I think BBT edges it just a bit. Seinfeld vis a vis BBT is a really tough call for the reasons I mentioned. A "Best of" Seinfeld pretty much blows anything else away, but if I'm going to do a 24-hr binge watch, I'll take BBT over Seinfeld in a heartbeat.

An old sitcom that doesn't get nearly enough love round these parts is the first two or three seasons of "Bewitched" with Dick York as Darren Stevens. York really made the show in its early days until it got on solid footing. Hell, you have Agnes Moorhead chewing the scenery and Paul Lynde prancing about, what's not to love? The casting of that show was simply brilliant from Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York on down to minor guest stars.

Speaking of binge watching, I did a "Rick & Morty" 20-something hour binge the other day,...what a great fucking show. Easily the most violent batshit insane thing on tv, I just love it. The body count each episode is astronomical. I thought "Ren & Stimpy" was great for the old ultra-violence, but "Rick & Morty" just leaves it in the dust (with thousands of corpses!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The season premier of Dr. Pimple Popper and series premier of My Feet Are Killing Me totally delivered. I'm one of those sickos that likes watching videos of things being squeezed and removed. I really like watching ingrown toenail removal videos.

You'll be delighted to know that I have a blood blister the size of a half-dollar on my right foot, I'll be sure to make a video when I get around to lancing the damn thing. It hurts like hell now, and I can only imagine how unpleasant the lancing procedure will be, but I'm getting damn tired of limping around and making sure that the cats don't attack my feet when I'm in bed (generally a favorite activity, right up there with making machine-gun noises at the crows). I'm not sure what they would do with a crow if they actually caught one, the crows get to be pretty good-size in these parts. I think your average crow is probably bigger than Spike, Sumuru or Arya and about even with Sansa and Cersi. That leaves Jackpot, Seven and Sandor to deal with the crows and of the three Sandor's the only one that would display any interest. As far as Seven is concerned, if it isn't a lizard he could care less. Jackpot is only interested in chasing the neighbor's cat out of his yard, so that leaves Sandor as the only option and he's a pretty little guy (doesn't stop him from attacking stray cats that are twice his size, so I imagine given the opportunity he'd go after a crow.) 

I have no idea what Dr. Pimple Popper is, but it sounds positively grotesque, having just had an ingrown toenail removed some weeks ago I really have no desire to watch a video of the procedure. Need I mention that it hurt like hell as does the present blood blister. I have no idea how I got the damn thing, no recollection of my foot getting pinched or caught on something , but there ya go, it just showed up a few days ago and doesn't seem like it's going to go away by itself, so time to find something really sharp...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I liked Bravo when it would air the 100 Scariest Movie Moments. I wish it had been released on dvd because I would have bought that and watch it every Halloween.

This is the only thing I watch regularly on Bravo.

• Like 2

I can't say that BET is total horseshit now, but I do remember a better time when Rap City came on and they had HBCU sports on all Saturday afternoon.

Now I have to watch Aspire if I want to see the occasional live MEAC or CIAA football or basketball game.

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

Mrs. Support and I finally gave up on the show this season after giving up Fear the Walking Dead last year (they killed off most of the main characters and essentially rebooted the show, which was incredibly dumb).  Every season is the same and most episodes are filler with one or two notable occurrences if you're lucky.  Seriously, they stretch the content out like Thanksgiving turkey.  As you said, it should have ended long ago.  There's a reason zombie films are only 1.5 - 2 hours long and even zombie novel series like the David Wellington trilogy are finite.  It's not a sustainable narrative.  It really sucks when a network finds a golden goose and puts content generation ahead of story, but that's how it goes nowadays, to bring us back to the topic at hand.  Change out filet mignon for Big Macs and serve more and more of it every week to less discerning diners who don't mind at all.

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Good Lord, is there anything on tv more tiresome than the fucking Walking Dead? The show should have ended two or three seasons ago. Kathy absolutely loves it and I would suffer through it back when it was followed by a perfectly good post-apocalyptic bit of nonsense (that I think JT and I were the only people that watched). 

Dear Lord.  Into The Badlands was the best.  Totally absurd wire-fu badassery.

Sunny will always be the fucking man.  He deserved better than what he got.

And yeah, once the ratio of realistic characters to Mary Sues took a turn towards Mary Sue, I tapped out on Walking Dead.  Fucking Negan was a bad guy and even he got the Mary Sue treatment.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Mrs. Support and I finally gave up on the show this season after giving up Fear the Walking Dead last year (they killed off most of the main characters and essentially rebooted the show, which was incredibly dumb).  Every season is the same and most episodes are filler with one or two notable occurrences if you're lucky.  Seriously, they stretch the content out like Thanksgiving turkey.  As you said, it should have ended long ago.  There's a reason zombie films are only 1.5 - 2 hours long and even zombie novel series like the David Wellington trilogy are finite.  It's not a sustainable narrative.  It really sucks when a network finds a golden goose and puts content generation ahead of story, but that's how it goes nowadays, to bring us back to the topic at hand.  Change out filet mignon for Big Macs and serve more and more of it every week to less discerning diners who don't mind at all.

I watched two episodes of Fear the Walking Dead and tapped out. Didn't see any likable characters, the two episodes that I watched seemed to center around the guy who looks like he has a serious problem with constipation and his missing son who turns out to be dead, dead, dead. As I had no investment in the character whatsoever it came across as the usual Stephen King twaddle of introducing a character, set the hooks, kill off said character by fifth or sixth appearance.  Livens up the ol' water cooler chat.

Mrs. OSJ just informed me that Siddiq just bit the big one, could have counted the episodes on that one...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's a Pavarotti documentary doing the rounds on the Showtime channels right now, and the 100 Scariest Movie Moments are on Youtube as Rippa pointed out a couple months back.

I want a documentary of the concert that Pavarotti did with James Brown.  I just want people on both sides telling stories about how their interactions.

Have they run out of ethnicities to base sitcoms off of? 
I don’t know when it started but before you knew it we had the Goldberg show and an Irish family show and god knows what else.

Also thank you OSJ for explaining Fear the Walking Dead. Always wondered what it was about and whether it tied in to the main show. I tapped out on the original before they made it out of the prison which I was just barely hanging on to after they killed Shane who me and my brother considered to be the only voice of reason on the show. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of networks totally flipping from what they used to be, I'm working from home today the IFC (remember the Independent Film Channel?) is on...showing the Jim Belushi/German Shepherd movie K-9.

IFC hasn't shown indie films on the regular for years, but occasionally they will pull some indie horror joints out of their ass.

They seem to enjoy fucking with me by showing stuff like From Within, [REC], or The Bay smack dab in the middle of the day when I am at work.

I haven't watched IFC regularly since they ditched Samurai Saturdays and the Asia Extreme film block.  Then they quickly fired up a French Extreme horror block on Saturday nights and killed it just as quickly.

IFC's On Demand movie queue was a gold mine back then.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

How many gimmick changes has The Paramount Network been through? I remember at the turn of the century it was The Nashville Network and showed country music/rodeo type stuff all the time until Raw got moved there. Then it became The National Network which was basically the Raw and nothing else anyone cared about channel. At some point it became Spike TV and showed a bunch of C list action movies and shows. I'm guessing it went through a few changes after that as well.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This thread is a goldmine. Y'all just keep going, I'll be standing over here

giphy.gif

Not that it's explosive or anything, it's just that I can't look away. And yet feel compelled to run

It's gold, Jerry. GOLD!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

You'll be delighted to know that I have a blood blister the size of a half-dollar on my right foot, I'll be sure to make a video when I get around to lancing the damn thing. It hurts like hell now, and I can only imagine how unpleasant the lancing procedure will be, but I'm getting damn tired of limping around and making sure that the cats don't attack my feet when I'm in bed (generally a favorite activity, right up there with making machine-gun noises at the crows). I'm not sure what they would do with a crow if they actually caught one, the crows get to be pretty good-size in these parts. I think your average crow is probably bigger than Spike, Sumuru or Arya and about even with Sansa and Cersi. That leaves Jackpot, Seven and Sandor to deal with the crows and of the three Sandor's the only one that would display any interest. As far as Seven is concerned, if it isn't a lizard he could care less. Jackpot is only interested in chasing the neighbor's cat out of his yard, so that leaves Sandor as the only option and he's a pretty little guy (doesn't stop him from attacking stray cats that are twice his size, so I imagine given the opportunity he'd go after a crow.) 

I have no idea what Dr. Pimple Popper is, but it sounds positively grotesque, having just had an ingrown toenail removed some weeks ago I really have no desire to watch a video of the procedure. Need I mention that it hurt like hell as does the present blood blister. I have no idea how I got the damn thing, no recollection of my foot getting pinched or caught on something , but there ya go, it just showed up a few days ago and doesn't seem like it's going to go away by itself, so time to find something really sharp...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I'd gladly lance that for you. Dr. Pimple Popper is exactly what it sounds like. This incredibly hot Asian dermatologist, Dr. Sandra Lee removing monsterous cysts, lipomas, and other growths.

I enjoyed the heck out of having my three ingrown toenails removed when I was a teenager. The sense of relief when that nail gets pulled out is practically orgasmic.

Now, is it any surprise I went into the field I did and am trying to go back into?