DVDVR Message Board

Most Ridiculous Horseshit on TV

OSJ

I love the nostalgia this thread is bringing back.  I remember being home from school and USA airing hours of game shows in the morning and early afternoon. Scrabble; Hollywood Squares; $25,000 Pyramid; Pictionary; Win, Lose, or Draw, etc.

For semi-recent stuff, I really enjoy the FYI and DIY networks. I always go for re-runs of Storage Wars and Shipping Wars. I also like the tiny house building and off the grid building shows.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:37 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The first episode of My Feet Are Killing Me delivered. There was a woman who had her sixth toe on both feet removed, another woman with a monsterous growth on the bottom of her left foot, and a guy who hadn't cut his toenails in like 5 years, so his feet were full of fungus and he developed ram's horn nails.

I'm looking forward to the ingrown toe nail removals. Those are my favorite procedure to watch.

A&E has their own podiatry show, The Toe Bro.

So not only is there a shoe that is called My Feet are Killing Me, there is actually something called The Toe Bro? We are in the darkest of timelines

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I presume this would not fly in 2020.

What would not pass?  Dynaman as a parody, the unlicensed use of The Bird and Living In America in that episode, or that horrible topical feminine lotion commercial?

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, USA Up All Night was a must-watch when I was a kid. Gilbert Gottfried and Rhonda Shear, The Toxic Avenger and Chopping Mall and all kinds of other trash. I might've missed out on the classic era of Svengoolie and all the other horror hosts but I had Gilbert, Rhonda and Joe Bob over on TNT. 

What Curt said.  The more I think about it, the more I miss USA Network's original counterculture programming.  It was hard being a kid to Baptist parents when USA's Kung Fu Theater started at 1PM EDT on Sunday afternoon.

And also what Colonial said.   USA Cartoon Express was kid heaven.

TMK, Commander USA's Grovie Movies is the only US program that ever showed Infra-Man on the regular even if it was the shitty US release.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Raziel said:

I remember so many times after Danger Mouse and Bananaman ran that Nick stopped and A&E started (although for a bit, my cable switched over to local access stuff after 8 on that channel til about 86).  

The older kid Nick shows used to come on right before the switch over.    I still remember hating it when The Tomorrow People or The Third Eye would end on a cliffhanger right before A&E took over.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:30 PM, colonial said:

Am I the only one who remembers ESPN ceding three or so hours of its morning schedule for a business news show back in the 80s?

No and there was great rejoicing in Puberty-ville when they switched from business news to the ESPN Fitness Block from 10AM to Noon.  BODYSHAPING~!!!!

Edited by J.T.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:52 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

Any show with "Ghost" or "Paranormal" in the title (I do make an exception for "Ghost Adventures" as I can still laugh at their brouchieness - that's a word I made up to describe bro-culture douches, feel free to use that but give proper credit.) 

I really enjoyed Ghost Hunters early on in the show where they actually did investigations, debunked just about everything, only accepted hard evidence, and didn't take "personal experience" as proof of anything -- i.e., if an instigator said, "I felt really creeped out in that one part of the house," well that didn't mean shit.  Seriously, every episode ended with the team explaining away a "haunting" to faulty wiring, etc.  The one time they got something moving by itself on camera that they couldn't explain was a fucking triumph.  I assume the guys behind the show figured, "well, we can't get more than two seasons out disproving every haunt" so they ratcheted up the manufactured scares and drama.  Man, this whole thread seems to reflect every single show and network lowering all standards of quality and intelligent programming.  Dumb it down and you'll never go hungry, I guess.

On the "shit I remember" tip, I remember when SyFy was called The SciFi Channel and showed decent, harder sci fi movies and 80s sci fi TV shows, interspersed with Harlan Ellison commentaries.  When I started college back in 92, the university had its own "cable package" cobbled together from channels its on-prem dishes got, built by a local satellite outfitter.  They were still working out the kinks in September so, for the first few months, all we got were local channels, Sci Fi, and MTV. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

On the "shit I remember" tip, I remember when SyFy was called The SciFi Channel and showed decent, harder sci fi movies and 80s sci fi TV shows, interspersed with Harlan Ellison commentaries. 

Yeah, I remember when it was pretty much syndicated sci-fi shows like Space: 1999, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and the Gerry Anderson UFO joint.

Sci-Fi / Syfy has co-produced its share of quality speculative fiction original programming like the Battlestar Galactica reboots / spin-offs, and The Expanse so I can't totally hate on the network.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I loved it because they'd show Dark Shadows and The Night Stalker and horror movies. Of course our cable package didn't get Sci-Fi, so I had to gorge on it every time I went to my grandparents' house. I never got to watch MST3K either because we didn't get Comedy Central until the South Park days. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I loved it because they'd show Dark Shadows and The Night Stalker and horror movies.

Yeah, I remember watching Dark Shadows and Blake's 7 on weekday afternoons during their Anti Soap Opera block.

They also had a Night Stalker / Darkroom block on late Friday nights.  I thought I was going to be upset when they changed the programming over, but they replaced it with FARSCAPE~!!!!!

Edited by J.T.

I was looking up the Discovery Channel for something else I wanted to mention and this is from Wiki

Sons of Guns
In 2014 the star of their show Sons of Guns was arrested on child molestation charges, prompting its cancellation.[47]

Alaskan Bush People
In 2016, stars from the channel's show Alaskan Bush People pleaded guilty to fraud.[48]

Highway to Sell
In 2016 it was disclosed that the garage used in Highway to Sell was under investigation for fraud.[49]

American Guns
In 2016, the star of the show American Guns was indicted and arrested for fraud.[50]

Whoever does background checks for them is really bad at their job

• Haha 3

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Dog the Bounty Hunter is still on TV, right? He's got to be way up there in the ridiculous horseshit category. 

Technically it is a spinoff show called Dog's Most Wanted

But the one season of it (which finished airing in Nov) focused on Dog's wife's battle (and subsequent death) with cancer so I doubt it is continuing 

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dog the Bounty Hunter is still on TV, right? He's got to be way up there in the ridiculous horseshit category. 

Not in that form, but he's on WGN now with a different show name (his wife died last year)

Yeah, I heard about his wife and the new show, but didn't know how long ago that was. 

Dog just reminded me of the exterminator guy that always wore sunglasses and these long, gauntlet-type spiked gloves/arm protectors. And he just reminded me that there's a show where a group of guys go around getting stung and bitten by animals and insects. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

So not only is there a shoe that is called My Feet are Killing Me, there is actually something called The Toe Bro? We are in the darkest of timelines

Toe Bro debuted first on A&E. My Feet Are Killing Me debuted on TLC last Thursday.

11 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

So not only is there a shoe that is called My Feet are Killing Me, there is actually something called The Toe Bro?

To be fair, The Toe Bro started off as a YouTube channel and it was picked up to compete with everyone else's WHAT THE FUCK AM I WATCHING THIS FOR~??? show like Botched and Untold Stories Of The ER.

It was already existing content and wasn't pulled out of thin air.

IIRC, Dr. Pimple Popper also started off on YouTube and was adapted for television.

The darkest of times actually started with (I'm not kidding) Sex Sent Me To The ER which is all about intimacy gone HORRIBLY AWRY~!  I wish I were making that up, but I am not.

Edited by J.T.

A show I like to watch when I see that its on is how its made on the Science? Channel. Some are better than others, but I love to see inside of factories and wonder at the people who thought up the assembly lines.

Edited by Kuetsar

17 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

A show I like to watch when I see that its on is how its made on the Science? Channel. Some are better than others, but I love to see inside of factories and wonder at the people who thought up the assembly lines.

Science TV is hit and miss.

It has fascinating and / or terrifying shows like How The Universe Works (TLDR:  everything outside of the earth's atmosphere will kill you) and I also enjoy watching How It's Made, but then it delves into TLC levels of stupidity with shows like Forbidden History which is like the conspiracy theory version of In Search Of.

SECRET PLANS OF DEATH RAY DEVELOPED BY TESLA FOR THE NAZIS~!!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Science TV is hit and miss.

It has fascinating and / or terrifying shows like How The Universe Works (TLDR:  everything outside of the earth's atmosphere will kill you) and I also enjoy watching How It's Made, but then it delves into TLC levels of stupidity with shows like Forbidden History which is like the conspiracy theory version of In Search Of.

SECRET PLANS OF DEATH RAY DEVELOPED BY TESLA FOR THE NAZIS~!!!

I will say that I do love me some Mysteries of the Abandoned.

All I have learned from this thread is that @Nice Guy Eddie probably has a collection of cadaver feet in preservation jars hidden in a shed somewhere for any future needs in the post-apocalyptic feet based economy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

To be fair, The Toe Bro started off as a YouTube channel and it was picked up to compete with everyone else's WHAT THE FUCK AM I WATCHING THIS FOR~??? show like Botched and Untold Stories Of The ER.

It was already existing content and wasn't pulled out of thin air.

IIRC, Dr. Pimple Popper also started off on YouTube and was adapted for television.

The darkest of times actually started with (I'm not kidding) Sex Sent Me To The ER which is all about intimacy gone HORRIBLY AWRY~!  I wish I were making that up, but I am not.

I need to seek this out.

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

All I have learned from this thread is that @Nice Guy Eddie probably has a collection of cadaver feet in preservation jars hidden in a shed somewhere for any future needs in the post-apocalyptic feet based economy.

I might. I'll never tell.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 3

Heh, we've questioned this about my friend that works in the death industry too. One of his hobbies is sneaking into and photographing abandoned buildings; he's got some interesting bones he's found as decoration in his house. I really wouldn't be surprised if he had some things in his freezer, not necessarily human, but...

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Heh, we've questioned this about my friend that works in the death industry too. One of his hobbies is sneaking into and photographing abandoned buildings; he's got some interesting bones he's found as decoration in his house. I really wouldn't be surprised if he had some things in his freezer, not necessarily human, but...

I, as well am into snooping around abandoned buildings. WEIRD NJ, baby!

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3