DVDVR Message Board

Most Ridiculous Horseshit on TV

OSJ

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nickelodeon used to switch over to A&E? I only remember it switching over to Nick at Nite with Mr. Ed 8 pm.

Same here. It actually introduced me to a few older shows as a kid which was cool. What was that show with Martin Mull? 

As far as the toe shows, y'all are reminding me of my dad having his own ingrown toenail pulled when I was a kid so maybe that's why I'm so squeamish to this... but still... UGH. STAHP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Same here. It actually introduced me to a few older shows as a kid which was cool. What was that show with Martin Mull? 

As far as the toe shows, y'all are reminding me of my dad having his own ingrown toenail pulled when I was a kid so maybe that's why I'm so squeamish to this... but still... UGH. STAHP.

Fernwood 2 Night, perhaps?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I haven't seen Iron Chef in a while.  Maybe I'm just not tuning in at the right times. 

Well they stopped new episodes in July 2018 (since I’m pretty sure the non Bobby Flay season didn’t do well)

The reruns seem to be overnight filler

You are better off going the onDemand route (if that is of interest to you)

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nickelodeon used to switch over to A&E? I only remember it switching over to Nick at Nite with Mr. Ed 8 pm.

My cable company also didn't carry HA! or The Comedy Channel until the formation of Comedy Central. Remember when Comedy Central was funny?

Just looked it up, Nick at Night started in 1985 after A&E went to a full 24 hour schedule, up until that point they shared satellite time. We got cable in the fall of 1982 when things were a lot more slapdash time filler compared to two or three years later. HBO and Showtime used to show plays and concerts on a regular basis and both would have “Australian Film Festivals” since the Australian Film Commission sold them movies really really cheap. ESPN didn’t have morning Sportscenter and ran financial news instead. USA had a lot more sports. Ted Turner hadn’t found the loop hole that allowed him to charge national ad rates for Gilligan’s Island so it was a lot of C level black and white movies on WTBS. The Movie Channel was just as big as HBO and showed hard R sex romps in the middle of the day, HBO didn’t show R rated movies until after 8pm. 

Edited by happjack
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 11:14 PM, caley said:

TLC is incredible.  There aren't many shows on TV funnier than '90 Day Fiancee'.  I mean, the guy who had sent in the high 5 or 6 figures to his girlfriend in Russia who sent him videos where she referred to him as "My husband" or "My love" to show how much she loved him before one of his friends finally said "Dude, has she ever referred to you by name in any of these videos? How do you know she's not sending them to anyone else?"  Then goes ahead and buys her an engagement ring and a plane ticket to Mexico to meet her where she doesn't show up, and he "has" to go ahead and have their romantic dinner for two by himself, while the violins play etc. etc. and it's PUNISHINGLY sad but also really, really funny.

I'm also in awe of the sheer amount of content that TLC creates with this show.  So they have '90 Day Fiancee' where Americans bring their fiancees from other countries over and that's about a 9 episode "season" with a live finale.  Then they run a season of 'Before the 90 Days' which details the events leading UP to '90 Day Fiancee', then another season of '90 Day Fiancees' and they alternate back and forth all year.  Meanwhile, during '90 Day Fiancee', they also run '90 Day Fiancee: Pillow Talk' which is that night's new episode of '90 Day Fiancee' with commentary from couples from previous seasons where they laugh and make fun of the people that aren't them, even as they do the same things they just did.  Also, while this is going on they run "new" episodes of '90 Day Fiancee' which are edited together two hour episodes of the individual couples with "new" footage spliced in.  Also, last year they spun one of the couples off into their own 10 episode season.  It's absolutely fascinating that they create so much content out of so little, and it all just dominates in the ratings and social media trending and the like.  WWE should hire their creators away, because they have the model so nailed.

Don't forget 90 Day Fiancee: The Other Way, which shows people going to live in other countries with the people they meet instead of them coming to the United States.

I've seen a lot more of 90 Day Fiancee than I'm proud to admit. It's right up there with the various iterations of The Real Housewives of Please Please Please for the Love of God Make It Stop, which I've also seen way too much of.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, RIPPA said:

I am a little surprised at myself for not mentioning this sooner.

The Food Network - I watch a lot of it but if you are looking for actual tutorial cooking shows it is either The Cooking Channel or their app that they are pushing (which isn't free if you want the actual classes)

Pretty much there are some cooking tutorials in the early AMs (and they are almost always one of the Southern cooking women) and then settle in for episodes of Chopped or a show hosted by Guy Fieri

The televisions in front of the ellipticals at our gym are tuned to the Food Network, and it doesn't seem to matter when I go to work out, Pioneer Woman is on.

Work out before work? Pioneer Woman.

Work out on my lunch break? Pioneer Woman.

Work out after work? Pioneer Woman.

I mean, there are worse shows, and I know that Food Network plays other shows. Just not when I'm at the gym.

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I still think of Paige Davis when someone mentions TLC. 

Considering they brought back While You Were Out with her hosting it’s not that crazy 

Going back a ways, I recall when Disney Channel was a premium network similar in scope to HBO or Showtime. This was the 80s to mid-90s. The programming was a lot more varied -- you would get, say, travelogue shows on Disney parks, ambitious (albeit family friendly) movies and miniseries, classic Disney TV shows and films (Dean Jones movies and "Zorro" reruns were commonplace). I even recall them bringing back the "College Bowl" game show with Dick Cavett hosting! Now, thanks to my daughter's viewing habits, I can see it's the same six shows on repeat.

Another oddity from the 80s -- on Sundays, Lifetime would cede its programming day for medical-related shows. Not shows like "Dr. Pimple Popper" or "Botched", but actual medical training and educational programs "for doctors, by doctors."

Am I the only one who remembers ESPN ceding three or so hours of its morning schedule for a business news show back in the 80s?

As a kid growing up in the 80s, USA Network was great during the day with "Cartoon Express" (primarily short-lived 70s cartoons like "Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch" and "Devlin") and 70s-80s game show and court show reruns. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, colonial said:

Am I the only one who remembers ESPN ceding three or so hours of its morning schedule for a business news show back in the 80s?

Someone mentioned it earlier. I remember the business show and then Kiana Flex Appeal exercise show era. I don’t think the SC repeats started until the celebrity anchor era of the mid 90s. I think the late night show in that era that was repeated was the Kilgore/Eisen/Scott/Mayne grouping, when you had Dan and Kieth, Miller, Levy, Mees, Cohn in the 11:30 (later 11:00) time slot. 

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My cable company also didn't carry HA! or The Comedy Channel until the formation of Comedy Central. Remember when Comedy Central was funny?

Yeah, from 1979-1985 Nick only ran from 7a-8p Eastern, then switched over to something else (they cycled thru a few partners before settling on A&E). In 85 A&E went 24-hour and Nick launched Nick at Nite to fill the hole, but some markets kept the "Nick during the day, A&E in prime time and overnight when kids aren't watching" structure as late as 1989.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Don't forget 90 Day Fiancee: The Other Way, which shows people going to live in other countries with the people they meet instead of them coming to the United States.

I've seen a lot more of 90 Day Fiancee than I'm proud to admit. It's right up there with the various iterations of The Real Housewives of Please Please Please for the Love of God Make It Stop, which I've also seen way too much of.

My sister LOVES one of the Real Housewives shows (Orange County...maybe?) and had me over one time to help out when her husband hurt his back and we were all being polite about not monopolizing the TV so she finally decided to watch it.  And in the episode in question two of the women were meeting for lunch and one of them was like 45 minutes late.  And this happened early in the hour, and kept coming up and I said to my sister "Why is she making such a big deal out of this?" and she said "Oh man, something like this will be fodder for a long time!" and at the end of the episode they were teasing next week's episode and it was all about this same lunch date.  A month or so later, my mom was staying over with them, and my sister was watching Real Housewives again and my mom was telling me about it later and said "And apparently the one girl was late..." and I went "Wait, they are STILL talking about that?!" and here it was like a running event that ran through the entire season and into the finale.  I have to admire that level of pettiness in some ways.

With the nonstop stream of dreck that is legacy broadcast TV these days, it is impossible to know or have seen everything, but some of the big stuff that people eat up that I can't fathom includes:

The Bachelor/Bachelorette 

Any show with "Real" or "Housewives" in the title

Any show with "Ghost" or "Paranormal" in the title (I do make an exception for "Ghost Adventures" as I can still laugh at their brouchieness - that's a word I made up to describe bro-culture douches, feel free to use that but give proper credit.) 

Shows about inane jobs, i.e. Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch, Most Unhygienic Stripper Poles, etc... 

I don't believe in guilty pleasures, you enjoy whatever you choose with no shame, and I count these among my favorites:

Botched - the plastic surgery guys from Beverly Hills. (Blurred boobs are better than no boobs at all) 

Dr Pimple Popper - having seen more than my share of videos like this on YouTube and experienced it in real life, it's nice to see a professional at work. 

Sister Wives - can't really explain why I like this show, I'm against religion/marriage in general but I eat this up. My wife does, too. BTW

Does the original or the reboots of In Search Of... count? 

Does the Travel Channel still play the same Monsters & Mysteries reruns from 7-8 years ago? Or am I thinking of Destination America? I remember one episode where there was some kind of evil forest troll called the Chupwucky. Thinking about the shitty actors playing dumbstruck yokels describing their fear of the Chupwucky biting their ankles always puts a grin on my face. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, there's some iterations of those floating around, on both channels. The Mysteries at the Museum shows too. 

One intolerable thing I just remembered is The View. Sharon Osbourne needs to fuck off already, along with the Property Brothers. 

I was guilty of watching a lot of Deadliest Catch and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives before I came to my senses. The old Man vs. Food, too. Adam seems like a nice guy and he has a certain charisma to him. It's nice to know after he stopped doing the show he lost all the weight playing soccer. 

15 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Yeah, from 1979-1985 Nick only ran from 7a-8p Eastern, then switched over to something else (they cycled thru a few partners before settling on A&E). In 85 A&E went 24-hour and Nick launched Nick at Nite to fill the hole, but some markets kept the "Nick during the day, A&E in prime time and overnight when kids aren't watching" structure as late as 1989.

Comedy Central and VH1(?) was like that for a while in the early 1990's too, at least on my cable system.

I remember so many times after Danger Mouse and Bananaman ran that Nick stopped and A&E started (although for a bit, my cable switched over to local access stuff after 8 on that channel til about 86).  I also remember Disney Channel when it really got going in 89 and restarted Mickey Mouse Club.  They also made a huge deal about getting the cable Broadcast rights to Star Wars.  Such a strange thing to remember in 89 Disney just getting the rights for the one movie was big, now they own the whole property.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2020 at 7:45 AM, OSJ said:

But Megdalon? I rather think not.

I love how you act like Jason Statham didn't make a documentary about this.

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 2

Guest The Magnificent 7

I only watched Deadliest Catch off and on, but how does one describe that job as inane, especially compared to bad plastic surgeons and a show called Dr. pimple Popper?  

Ok. 

2 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I only watched Deadliest Catch off and on, but how does one describe that job as inane, especially compared to bad plastic surgeons and a show called Dr. pimple Popper?  

Ok. 

Yeah, that and Ice Road Truckers. I was into that one for the first few seasons and those guys are nuts.

Shit, USA Up All Night was a must-watch when I was a kid. Gilbert Gottfried and Rhonda Shear, The Toxic Avenger and Chopping Mall and all kinds of other trash. I might've missed out on the classic era of Svengoolie and all the other horror hosts but I had Gilbert, Rhonda and Joe Bob over on TNT. 

• Like 4