DVDVR Message Board

Most Ridiculous Horseshit on TV

OSJ

12 hours ago, AxB said:

It's the cultural differences. When Roseanne was on Channel 4 in the 80s, British people had a hard time getting their heads around that it was supposed to be about a struggling working class family because their house was fucking huge. You could fit an entire British home just in their living room.

I mean my family is middle class w/o the struggle and Roseanne had a bigger house than ours.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

I mean my family is middle class w/o the struggle and Roseanne had a bigger house than ours.

I think that's mostly television talking.   The Rosanne house set has to be big enough to allow actors to enter and exit stage right and stage left without hindrance.   The floor plans of the houses shown in the exterior shots rarely matches up to the sets.

This is why I find A Very Brady Makeover on HGTV to be a fascinating show.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that's mostly television talking.   The Rosanne house set has to be big enough to allow actors to enter and exit stage right and stage left without hindrance.   The floor plans of the houses shown in the exterior shots rarely matches up to the sets.

This is why I find A Very Brady Makeover on HGTV to be a fascinating show.

Also Rosanne was set in a town that was a bit of a distance from Chicago, most towns like Lanford are going to have houses that are bigger than the ones you see in other parts of the US since there's plenty of dry flat land. I spent some time in both Birmingham and Manchester during my time in the UK and can totally see how it would be hard to relate since every house/flat/condo are going to be small.

• Like 2

I think it's similar to Minneapolis in that there's a lot of nice and/or bigger houses in lower middle class neighborhoods that were either bought fairly cheaply by vets via the GI Bill in the 50s and then handed down to their kids (like on Married With Children or US version of Shameless) or were vacated in the 70s as the more affluent owners moved to the outer suburbs and sold them to people like the Conners who were only able to (barely) afford them due to long term and/or high rate mortgages.  A lot of the conflict between Dan and Roseanne is because that even when they are both employed, they are still barely able to pay the bills.  They probably should have sold the house and moved into a smaller one or a duplex but it's a matter of pride with them that they have their own house.

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 1

Roseanne was such a great show.  Another case of real life ruining fine entertainment unless you are able to separate the person from the product.  

It's possible to stumble across some affordable real estate especially back in the 80s.  My father made decent money but it was only one income and he was able to buy a nice piece of property because the land owner just wanted out of the area.  

On 1/22/2020 at 5:14 AM, AxB said:

It's the cultural differences. When Roseanne was on Channel 4 in the 80s, British people had a hard time getting their heads around that it was supposed to be about a struggling working class family because their house was fucking huge. You could fit an entire British home just in their living room.

Only Fools and Horses might have worked across the pond. Steptoe and Sons did, kind of (it became an African American family, for reasons probably best explained by an American). So did In Sickness and In Health, with comedy bigot Alf Garnett (which became All in the Family, with comedy bigot Archie Bunker).

When we lived in Germany for three years, the people who lived in the house we were renting before us had their satellite dish set up to pick up British channels.

I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of On the Buses, which my wife and I both enjoyed. They apparently tried to bring it to America before I was born and it didn't work.

ITV was good for shows like that, though. On the BusesIn Loving Memory, those sorts of things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We discussed earlier how Disney Channel in its premium days was much more than teenybopper fare -- here's a show that Disney viewers could watch in 1983, featuring a "before they were star" comic and host serving as announcer ….

And a year later, a health, science and lifestyle show from Epcot with Audrey Griswold from "European Vacation" as host ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/3/2020 at 8:00 AM, J.T. said:

Dear Lord.  Into The Badlands was the best.  Totally absurd wire-fu badassery.

Sunny will always be the fucking man.  He deserved better than what he got.

And yeah, once the ratio of realistic characters to Mary Sues took a turn towards Mary Sue, I tapped out on Walking Dead.  Fucking Negan was a bad guy and even he got the Mary Sue treatment.

For some odd reason I just had a micro-dream (in that I'm sure that there was more, but all I can recall is this teeny-tiny bit of it) wherein JT and I were given the script-writing and show-running duties of Into the Badlands. Only problem is that while I know how to write a TV script I haven't actually done one and I think JT's actually real-life experience is even lesser than mine... Still, all I have to do is turn on Little House on the Prairie and it suddenly seems like anything is possible, yeah, in a world wherein Sami Kallihan is employed as a professional wrestler... I note that upthread someone referred to a certain piece of trash starring one of the finest actors in the English-speaking world wherein mean-spirited Irish stereotypes that would have been considered racist and vile fifty years ago, are now somehow "edgy" and "current". Yeah, you just stop right in at The Old Peculiar or Murphy's Pub and start tossing off such "clever" and "edgy" terms such as "Paddy" or "Mick" and see how we all laugh right along with you. What's that? Some help with your teeth? Oh, just pour in some soda water with some ice cubes and the dentist should be able to save most of them for you...

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 1:44 AM, Gonzo said:

When we lived in Germany for three years, the people who lived in the house we were renting before us had their satellite dish set up to pick up British channels.

I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of On the Buses, which my wife and I both enjoyed. They apparently tried to bring it to America before I was born and it didn't work.

ITV was good for shows like that, though. On the BusesIn Loving Memory, those sorts of things.

It was called Lotsa Luck and starred Dom Deluise. As luck would have it, it airs on Sunday mornings on Antenna TV and is followed by The Paul Lynde Show.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Oh good, you bumped this, now I can talk about this...

So those of you with Spanish speaking parents know they can find some... gems... on Spanish language TV.  My parents are currently obsessed with Enamorandonos (Literally translated "We Are Falling In Love")

It is part game show, part variety show, part dance show, part tele-novela, with I believe 10 guys and 10 girls - all ages and sexual orientations.  It's just awful. 

Like they're literally talking to a guy about how this girl he really liked dumped him unceremoniously for another guy on the show, and he's pouring his heart out and crying, and then they just turn around and start pop-music serenading another couple who are dancing like none of that is going on.  The guy is still crying when they cut back to him, but this other guy and girl are laughing and dancing and flirting. 

I felt like I was watching the Dating Game on an acid trip while having a stroke. 

• Haha 4

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers cartoon on tubi or whatever is absolutely heinous. Just a f'n travesty. Aggressively anti-funny.

I LOVED the comics when I was in high school. Wildly inventive and subversive. The gender and sexual politics and so on were very much of their time, but if you can get past that the comics are still pretty entertaining today, and the art work is often excellent as well.

And Woody Harrelson, John Goodman, and Pete Davidson are all capable of being very funny and have all been in some stuff that I liked a lot.

So, my hopes were high.

The cartoon is just utterly, irredeemably wrong-headed, mean-spirited, and relentlessly lowest common denominator. Heartbreaking. I got through one and a half episodes before tapping out forever. I think the people who made it felt like it would be hilarious to really lean into the "of it's time" stuff. Yeesh.

I should have listened to @thee Reverend Axl Future when he warned us all off of this garbage

On the upside, tubi does have this: 

https://tubitv.com/series/300005691/the-best-of-the-carol-burnett-show?start=true

so I'm still happy I went there to check out the lousy cartoon, because it lead me to a motherload of nostalgic laughs anyway.

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 1:27 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh good, you bumped this, now I can talk about this...

So those of you with Spanish speaking parents know they can find some... gems... on Spanish language TV.  My parents are currently obsessed with Enamorandonos (Literally translated "We Are Falling In Love")

It is part game show, part variety show, part dance show, part tele-novela, with I believe 10 guys and 10 girls - all ages and sexual orientations.  It's just awful. 

Like they're literally talking to a guy about how this girl he really liked dumped him unceremoniously for another guy on the show, and he's pouring his heart out and crying, and then they just turn around and start pop-music serenading another couple who are dancing like none of that is going on.  The guy is still crying when they cut back to him, but this other guy and girl are laughing and dancing and flirting. 

I felt like I was watching the Dating Game on an acid trip while having a stroke. 

You say this is bad yet you make it sound extremely good

• Haha 3

Tubi is now my fave streaming channel, supplanting Amazon Prime for crazy grindhouse exploitation genre obscurities and faves, as well as random old TV shows and whatnot. Those old Carol Burnett show are gold, my friends. The world is burning but I have my bread and circuses...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Tubi is now my fave streaming channel, supplanting Amazon Prime for crazy grindhouse exploitation genre obscurities and faves, as well as random old TV shows and whatnot. Those old Carol Burnett show are gold, my friends. The world is burning but I have my bread and circuses...

They had me at seasons 1-2 of "Soap."

• Like 1