Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have no idea how or why a promotion built on Japanese wrestling fandom would ever even conceive of clipping their matches, considering that's been the bane of tape traders forever.

I don’t regularly watch ROH tv, but what I saw of their previous format felt like a wwe shotgun tier II.  The clipped matches format helped propel a similarly unpolished ecw roster.  That said, I saw an episode of the new roh format and the editing was terrible.  Long unnecessary intros being a glaring example.  Also, bad promos and an irritating lady on commentary.

Very sad to learn Scurll has re-signed.  What I’ve seen and heard indicates a very stale product.  Not to mention owned by the polarizing Sinclair broadcasting.  I’d kinda hoped this company would just Rest In Peace.  I’d like to imagine this re-signing would lead to a working arrangement with the elite, but aew is probably best to not associate too closely with the likes of Sinclair.  Obviously you can’t fault a guy for taking the best money contract and we’ll see what happens, but seems like a bad move from this Scurll fan’s perspective.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

ROH never seemed serious about a womens division.  It was like they did it because everyone else was.  If they are going to work with Corgan they should just book his woman's division

The two companies just kinda sharing the NWA Women's Title isn't a bad idea.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I have no idea how or why a promotion built on Japanese wrestling fandom would ever even conceive of clipping their matches, considering that's been the bane of tape traders forever.

I honestly like the format for TV. A lot of ROH matches with their younger guys could benefit from some trimming. The biggest issue, to me at least, was not bring current with the PPV (or big shows in general) which kinda threw things off. I even like Quinn. She's not the best commentator but she mainly was in wrap-around segments anyway. Plus, the clip format worked well for late-night viewing, I thought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given that Scurll re-signing and being placed on the booking committee has given ROH its first bit of good publicity in a long time, I think they should have gone all the way and announced him as the new head booker. They wouldn't actually need to do it, just tell the fans that they did.

I mean, how perfect would that be for wrestling in 2020: kayfabing the fans about who the head booker is.

Edited by MapRef41N93W
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, MapRef41N93W said:

Given that Scurll re-signing and being placed on the booking committee has given ROH its first bit of good publicity in a long time, I think they should have gone all the way and announced him as the new head booker. They wouldn't actually need to do it, just tell the fans that they did.

I mean, how perfect would that be for wrestling in 2020: kayfabing the fans about who the head booker is.

Worked out great for TNA when they tried it.

Edited by mattdangerously
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

It's not entirely comparable, but they lied about having Vince Russo as booker a few years ago. Got them into a little trouble with Spike TV and NJPW, I believe.

Wasn't that only because Russo accidentally sent an email to Mike Johnson with TNA's booking plans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyways.

Johnathan Gresham is now booking the Women of Honor, taking over the duties from Bully Ray (lol). He's also now running their dojo as well - I imagine Delirious was still the head trainer, so that's a plus all the way across the board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't that only because Russo accidentally sent an email to Mike Johnson with TNA's booking plans?

Yes, he intended to send it to Mike Tenay and sent it to the wrong Mike. He then proceeded to make the situation 10 times worse by denying it and spouting bullshit about how it was all a work and just dug his grave even further.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, looks like Bully is being removed from power.

 

Which I guess now answers the question of "What person in power in RoH was pissing off NJPW to such a degree that they're just telling RoH to go screw", since there's been a NJPW worker announced a day working the Supercard now.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2020 at 7:43 PM, mattdangerously said:

It's not entirely comparable, but they lied about having Vince Russo as booker a few years ago. Got them into a little trouble with Spike TV and NJPW, I believe.

The Spike people told them specifically that they wanted nothing to do with Vinnie Ru, the promotion told them he had nothing to do the promotion (which was a lie) and when Spike found out that was the final straw that led to them dumping TNA.

Edited by sabremike
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...