DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

That 3-way tag was a blast. Stiff! I don't think I've ever seen Cobb pull off a practically Okada-esque dropkick before either. Master and Machine vs. Castle/Hendry was fine too as was the first appearance of Danhausen, who has a gimmick too silly not to enjoy. More matches is the right way to go. 

If I can offer some constructive criticism however, ROH needs less guys with facial hair. One of the backstage videos was like walking into a hipster gastropub. 

I'm really glad I went back and watched the six-man from last week too, that put a big smile on my face. A crowd full of lucha fans melting down for Mexiblood, a spot train that left Riccobone and Caprice slackjawed, Brody being a fucking beast. It made up for the rest of the episode being a clipfest.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, Curt McGirt said:

That 3-way tag was a blast. Stiff! I don't think I've ever seen Cobb pull off a practically Okada-esque dropkick before either. Master and Machine vs. Castle/Hendry was fine too as was the first appearance of Danhausen, who has a gimmick too silly not to enjoy. More matches is the right way to go. 

I say this not to be an autocorrecting dweeb but because it was a fun match worth checking out... Danhausen actually debuted about 2 months ago against Shane Taylor for the TV Title.

I love Danhausen. I reminds me of a less pretentious Darby Allin.  He made me watch a Rhet Titus match.  

I hate Dalton Castle in the ring and Joe Hendry is boring and I was hoping Hendry and Machine would have gone World of Sport to make me give a fuck.  But they didn't.

And I hate three ways.  BAHHHH!

Huh, Marty’s really trying to build bridges back up, huh? Good on him tapping into that old magic from the mid-aughts, in between this and the Past & Present card, and bringing back the Pure title. Watch him try and do something crazy like bring Xavier back after so many ye—

*RECORD SCRATCH*

Edited by Super Ape
  • Haha 1

I was gifted a ticket for the free show in Baltimore.  Yes, I know I could have got it myself but he ended up being unable to go so sure why not.  Unless I get roped into some family shit I think I may check this out after all.  So long as I don't spend a dime what's the worst that can happen?

• Like 2

The pure title was a great concept that helped ROH stand out from other indies at the time. It fit wrestlers like Doug Williams, John Walters, and Nigel like a glove.

Speaking of ROH's past, John Walters has also been added to Past vs. Present show. Generation Next (Alex Shelley & Matt Sydal) vs. Villain Enterprises (Marty Scurll & Flip Gordon) has also been added to the show. I've got a problem with Shelley teaming Sydal as Gen Next. Sydal didn't join until long after Shelley had been kicked out and Gen Next had turned face, while Shelley had turned heel again and joined The Embassy.

There's three former Embassy members (Shelley, Xavier, Walters) on the show, but this needs Prince Nana and Jimmy Rave to make it complete.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'd always assumed they got rid of the pure title after two-ish years because someone finally woke up to what a silly idea it was. But nostalgia for 2000s wrestling seems to be in right now, so whatevs. 

FWIW, Sapolsky said on WOL way back when they first got rid of the title, that they want to keep the spotlight focused on Bryan Danielson as champion.

• Thanks 1

The Bouncers are my new favorite tag team. Let them splatter everyone! Brian Johnson is such a loudmouth little weasel. ROH reads my mind and puts Bouncers against Maff/Cobb next week in an eight-man. 

Six-man was good though they got a little spot-happy at the end. That finish was vicious; it's nice to see that Marty is the one booker that doesn't mind laying down for the three when needed. My favorite part though was Rush and PCO locking up because they just whop each other. 

Thank you fast forward for your blessing of skipping Bully Ray promos

I'm so glad that Session Moth is already tied to them.  They're going to be just wonderful together.

Speaking of I went to the Free Enterprise show yesterday.  It was a good show that by the battle royal was able to distract me from the crummy day I was having.  The battle royal was a fun one with the likes of Gangrel and Blue Meanie being in there which were welcome surprises.  And Maria Manic had a strong showing which the crowd was super into until the Bully Ray bullshit.  I would say it was a tie between her and the Briscoes match for loudest reactions.  It helps they're some Delaware boys coming up to MD but they can seemingly do no wrong.  I was also tickled pink at how much Aldis was cheered.  It almost took him by surprise but that's a result of NWA being really awesome (and dare I say better than ROH)  So overall I liked it and for a free show that meant me having zero guilt afterwards.  Also wanted to give love to Vincen's horror group which seems 

That said while it was good there was no reason for it to be a 3 1/2 hour show.  It's a wonder the crowd was still into it but there were definite lulls in reactions.  It also didn't do much to make me consider watching the shows despite the promised changes on the horizon.  It also didn't help that Joe Koff was on there promising the full archive is still coming to Honor Club and I was reminded of why I stopped watching in the first place.  But I'm hopeful that Marty is able to turn things around though one thing they need to do is establish a firm identity with the company.  It started out as a place where indy darlings came to shine.  Then it ended up being the promotion where the darlings either went to WWE or somewhere bigger.  Then it went in a more family-friendly direction after the Sinclair purchase.  Now it finds itself in a weird mix where they want to appease the hardcores yet maintain that family friendly image.  And it just ends up being a weird mix that I don't know if they have an answer for.  For example, while I completely adore Session Moth her match was met with silence because the idea of beer being her spinach just doesn't resonate with families (good luck trying to explain that one to little Timmy)  And with shows that have them going against ROH originals along with New Japan's involvement it's only to further complicate things.  

Despite all that I am honestly hoping they manage to right the ship.  There were some ugly things that happened recently that are going to take time to recover from.  But if it's able to end the year in a fairly respectable position then they deserve some credit.

• Like 2