DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

9 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

King Corbin sends his regards. 

Thus, we begin going round and round like Ratt, and the debate of "I want to see you get your ass kicked" heat vs. "go away" heat.

I want to see KENTA get his ass kicked. I don't want to, and don't watch Baron Corbin.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thus, we begin going round and round like Ratt, and the debate of "I want to see you get your ass kicked" heat vs. "go away" heat.

There's nothing to go round about. Like you said, fans do what they want. But them cheering the RKO doesn't lessen the fact that when the Randy's a heel he's a pure heel. Brock Lesnar is still the biggest act in wrestling, and he's a pure heel. I know there are lots of different flavours of wrestling, but the suggestion that the days of pure babyfaces and heels are "over" is ludicrous. People have been saying it for decades, and I still have yet to see a wrestling industry emerge where the sentiment holds true. There are some companies that play it a little looser, and there are some workers who think a little looser, but pure faces and heels are still a huge part of wrestling. 

Edit: Since you brought up NJPW, Jay White is another example. Doesn't babyface shit, and had arguably the best two-day Dome event of anyone. Pure heeldom is alive and well. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There's nothing to go round about. Like you said, fans do what they want. But them cheering the RKO doesn't lessen the fact that when the Randy's a heel he's a pure heel. Brock Lesnar is still the biggest act in wrestling, and he's a pure heel. I know there are lots of different flavours of wrestling, but the suggestion that the days of pure babyfaces and heels are "over" is ludicrous. People have been saying it for decades, and I still have yet to see a wrestling industry emerge where the sentiment holds true. There are some companies that play it a little looser, and there are some workers who think a little looser, but pure faces and heels are still a huge part of wrestling. 

Edit: Since you brought up NJPW, Jay White is another example. Doesn't babyface shit, and had arguably the best two-day Dome event of anyone. Pure heeldom is alive and well. 

Jay White worked a show out here while on excursion. He worked Jonathan Gresham and it was one of the top live matches I've ever seen.  Jay was really down to earth as well. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Marty will be ROH's best booker since Gabe. Even Flair's Shadow could predict this one.

Delirious had a strange booking style. Until Mandy Leon you really couldn't say he booked his friends in high positions. Hell most of the Chikara guys he is friends with barely got booked in ROH if at all. 

Funny note though, if you have Honor Club the login screen still has the Kenny Omega video wall for the background.   You'd think they would have changed that by now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Hey, I for one am willing to give Marty the benefit of a doubt that he's as bad a booker as he is a heel wrestler.

Good thing he is now the biggest babyface in ROH history for replacing Delirious as booker.

• Like 2

I was watching last week's episode today and after three straight promos that were almost impossible to hear (Rush sounded like he was speaking from the bathroom), I finally went "You know what? I'm just not enjoying this anymore", deleted it, cancelled my recordings and was prepare to move on.

BUT I am curious about Marty Scurll the booker, so I may come back around.

• Like 1

I'm fine with Delirious staying in creative because I'd assume that it might be a bit too hard for Marty to take on everything so someone out there helping him out with logistics and what not sounds like a good thing. And I'm all for smooth transitions instead of just cutting things out and pretending that they never existed.

Also I find it somewhat funny that Dave said on twitter that he expected it... when his reporting last year didn't sound like he was expecting it at all.

He could not expect it last year and then given that Marty never showed up in AEW, that he was still taking ROH dates, that it became expected that he would re-sign with ROH. That's the feeling I got anyway.

That day 1 he didn't sign with AEW made me concerned he wouldn't be coming in. And then days turned into weeks and then it started feeling more and more like he wouldn't be going to AEW.

I'm still surprised and disappointed he re-signed with ROH when ROH sounds like a such a dumpster fire. I guess maybe he feels he can turn that ship around.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, caley said:

I was watching last week's episode today and after three straight promos that were almost impossible to hear (Rush sounded like he was speaking from the bathroom), I finally went "You know what? I'm just not enjoying this anymore", deleted it, cancelled my recordings and was prepare to move on.

BUT I am curious about Marty Scurll the booker, so I may come back around.

I did the same thing after seeing a bunch of people I didn't know and fucking Crowbar. Smackdown was worse. 

Of course because it records on two different channels at completely random times I already have the same episode recorded twice, again. ?

Maybe Marty is already paying off...

I can understand Marty.  If the money is the same between all 3, it become be a dime a dozen in WWE, a JAG in AEW, or the booker and probable The Man in RoH, plus have NWA and NJPW fully on the table.  I dont fault him, even if RoH is a far cry from what it was.

• Like 3

Marty joining the booking team is a good start, from what I've read the TV tapings were really good. I stopped watching ROH about a year ago because the TV show is so boring. Better booking needs to happen but better edited shows and ditch the clipped matches with one big match format and go back to what they were doing before cuz I always like the format i just felt like nothing of consequence ever happened. Plus the PPV's and TV should be on the same timeline, IDK how many times TV has been two weeks behind PPVs in terms of angles. For example i remember the episode where Kaz joined the Bullet Club, turning on Daniels aired the same weekend as the Anniversary Show where Kaz swerved on The Bullet Club and helped Daniels win the World Title. The PPV was on Saturday and in some markets aired on Sunday. Worse yet the Vegas tapings with Daniels as Champion didn't start airing until two weeks later and there wasn't any mention of Daniels being Champion in those two weeks, Adam Cole bay bay was still Champion on TV. I'll start watching the show now and i'll see if the show starts to change in quality once they start airing the Atlanta tapings. If anything please go back to full matches, clips suck.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:40 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

but the suggestion that the days of pure babyfaces and heels are "over" is ludicrous. People have been saying it for decades, and I still have yet to see a wrestling industry emerge where the sentiment holds true.

"It's that same old simplistic theory!"

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

I just want to have faith in him. He came up with all The Villain stuff. Villain Enterprises was his idea. It's really no different than someone having faith in a god we can't see or prove existed, which I have no problem with if it makes people feel better about losing a loved one or their own mortality. I just want to have faith; that's all.

• Like 2

I don't know, I guess if we really wanted we could say that every heel faction that tries to look cool is just a Bullet Club knockoff at this point. But at the same time it doesn't sound fair.

Rest of the BC will be on BC beach party during WM week so it is very likely that they'll get more than just Jay White. Wouldn't surprise me if we got some angle about it as well based on some behind the scenes politics that were leaked.

• Like 1