DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

On 1/7/2020 at 10:41 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think you mean Bully Ray and Delirious. Adam Pearce hasn't been ROH's head booker since 2010 and is currently a producer for WWE.

Bully Ray is a decent match psychology guy but he's not a good story angle booker and Delirious is just plain bad.

Bully booked a lot of classic ECW brawls, but all of the story came from Raven.

Edited by J.T.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:07 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

ROH is running a free show in Baltimore next month to reward fans for almost 2 decades of being in business. Strange to run a free show when your promotion is spiraling downward but maybe they will get a new fan or 2

Well, that wouldn't technically break my "Not giving ROH another penny" rule so that may be a possibility.  As long as I don't get merch I think I can see going to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, that wouldn't technically break my "Not giving ROH another penny" rule so that may be a possibility.  As long as I don't get merch I think I can see going to it.

they might be shelling the guys out at intermission to shill merch. It would almost be like a zoo setting with the workers putting on the "lonely Virgil sad face"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

they might be shelling the guys out at intermission to shill merch. It would almost be like a zoo setting with the workers putting on the "lonely Virgil sad face"

Aw, now I'm conflicted because I don't think I can bear witness to them doing that, especially if it's someone like the Briscoes who've been there since day one.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Weren't the Briscoes presumably on WWE's radar until Jay graced Twitter with his thoughts on same-sex marriage? 

Yeah, that's definitely what happened.  I still get a kick out of the crowd throwing multi-colored streamers at Jay soon after all that.  Thankfully he doesn't post and if he does it's super rare to promote stuff.

• Haha 1

The Briscoes had WWE tryout in 2009 but apparently Johnny Ace said they didn't have the right look for WWE.

NXT made them an offer in 2015 but it wasn't as much as ROH was willing to pay them. They would have had to move to Florida and didn't want to leave their wives/kids behind, plus they help run a few of their family's businesses in Delaware.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Briscoes had WWE tryout in 2009 but apparently Johnny Ace said they didn't have the right look for WWE.

NXT made them an offer in 2015 but it wasn't as much as ROH was willing to pay them. They would have had to move to Florida and didn't want to leave their wives/kids behind, plus they help run a few of their family's businesses in Delaware.

Yep.  And apparently they were told they weren't "aesthetically pleasing"  Which worked to their benefit as Jay would say that in some really great fire-up promos.  I think it was around that time that I really started to be a big fan of theirs so the timing of it all worked out quite nicely.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Starting to seem like Scurll might actually sign with ROH. Yowie wowie. 

That would be really disappointing if that's what he ends up choosing.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

I guess it depends what these special perks are exactly?

I'm guessing first is immediately getting the belt. After that I'm not even sure what RoH can offer.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:35 PM, AxB said:

On that indie show with Necro last weekend, they were actually doing Dan Maff's final indie show going away party. Felt a bit Wierd, given that he's only signing with RoH (which is an indie, that lets it's contracted talent work other indies, and is operating at a substantial financial loss), not WWE or AEW.

Ring Of Honor is owned by a company worth nearly 6 billion dollars. 

Scurll staying in ROH could be a boneheaded move but if he does sign and they aren't nervous about pushing him he could also pull them out of the doldrums. I'm not the hugest fan of his work but if dude has a chance to be the top guy on national TV it's not a bad move for him. Of course, he could also be the face of a dying company and that wouldn't help his standing all that much. Interesting!