DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It is amazing what shitty booking and horrible people in charge will do to a fed

The shitty booking goes all the way back to Adam Pearce being Gabe's replacement. 

I don't know if I see SBG pulling the plug on ROH. Is ROH losing enough money for Sinclair to even notice?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Today ROH put Final Battle 2019 in Full on YouTube. Will watch it later tonight or tomorrow since I don't know how long it will be up. 

I've got free time tomorrow. Might as well give this a watch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know if I see SBG pulling the plug on ROH. Is ROH losing enough money for Sinclair to even notice?

It isn't that I think they are going out of business more their relevance is virtually non-existent 

Let me phrase it this way - at the rate it is going, ROH will be lumped in with the rest of the indies next year

RoH went from being the arguable #2 in the US that brought us (and allowed me to see live without a trip to Japan) Dick Togo, Great Muta, Satoshi Kojima, Mitsuhara fucking Misawa, Kenta fucking Kobashi, Prime KENTA, Prime Marufuji, and opened the door for NJPW to work in the US again, to total irrelevance in 1 year.  that's a fucking fall from grace.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

RoH went from being the arguable #2 in the US that brought us (and allowed me to see live without a trip to Japan) Dick Togo, Great Muta, Satoshi Kojima, Mitsuhara fucking Misawa, Kenta fucking Kobashi, Prime KENTA, Prime Marufuji, and opened the door for NJPW to work in the US again, to total irrelevance in 1 year.  that's a fucking fall from grace.

Because they allowed themselves to be used by New Japan. They brought NJPW stars over, jobbed nearly every top ROH guy to a NJPW guy, and gave NJPW the foothold to realize they could just run their own shows without ROH. They fucked themselves. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Because they allowed themselves to be used by New Japan. They brought NJPW stars over, jobbed nearly every top ROH guy to a NJPW guy, and gave NJPW the foothold to realize they could just run their own shows without ROH. They fucked themselves. 

Not to forget that they enabled Cody and The Elite to run All-In.

I had a quick look at Final Battle and I was like 'oh Dan Maff finally recovered from the car crash then?', but I couldn't get interested in this stuff. A 2 hour NXT and AEW has rendered ROH extremely superfluous. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Speaking of... Meltzer claims that New Japan is now refusing to send over any of their talent for ROH shows.

I wonder how Dragon Lee working in RoH fits into this picture. I guess he has agreed to do X amount of dates with them before NJPW signed him and they are ok with it?

Either way it is a weird thing. If I'm not mistaken Dave said that RoH/NJPW partnership is still a thing in the same update, yet NJPW are refusing to send them any guys so what exactly is this "partnership"? What each side is getting out of it?

Is there anything in American wrestling history similar to the Cody and The Bucks carrying ROH to new heights and then just devastating the company by leaving en masse with several other talents as well?

As loathe as I am to compare Cody and The Jacksons to Misawa, Taue, and Kobashi, the All Japan split into NOAH is the only thing I can think of that is similar.

SBG actually put some real money behind ROH finally, as well. Getting lawyers involved to secure the MSG date, giving them the budget to compete in signing Rush, etc. And that's when the bottom falls out. SBG own them solely for the cheap programming. Is it's losing more money than it's worth, I wouldn't be shocked if they do decide "fuck it, think we can sell the library?"

28 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is there anything in American wrestling history similar to the Cody and The Bucks carrying ROH to new heights and then just devastating the company by leaving en masse with several other talents as well?

As loathe as I am to compare Cody and The Jacksons to Misawa, Taue, and Kobashi, the All Japan split into NOAH is the only thing I can think of that is similar.

SBG actually put some real money behind ROH finally, as well. Getting lawyers involved to secure the MSG date, giving them the budget to compete in signing Rush, etc. And that's when the bottom falls out. SBG own them solely for the cheap programming. Is it's losing more money than it's worth, I wouldn't be shocked if they do decide "fuck it, think we can sell the library?"

Image?

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 12:55 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Thanks for reminding about that Marty. It's at 44:36 here (dunno how to time stamp): 

Oh man, they had me at the fat boy tope.  Jeff Cobb fired up is a good thing.

• Like 2