DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

8 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But considering The Bruiser passed away I don't know what will happen with MCW.  I'm sure they'll still be around once restrictions are lifted but it won't be the same.

With any luck, John Minadakis from Jimmy's Famous Seafood will continue to be a big money mark and the fed will survive somehow. 

AFAIK, Gillberg's wrestling school in Severn is still scraping by on MMA money, so there is at least one place where new talent can go to train.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

With any luck, John Minadakis from Jimmy's Famous Seafood will continue to be a big money mark and the fed will survive somehow. 

AFAIK, Gillberg's wrestling school in Severn is still scraping by on MMA money, so there is at least one place where new talent can go to train.

Damn, I forgot about the training school.  I think you're right about Gillberg's school being a good place to train at now.  As for Johnny Crabcakes as long as he doesn't "wrestle" if he helps keep them going then he'll be okay in my book.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Haha 1

December 18th?  They'll be lucky if Maryland is even open by December 1st let alone the 18th.  As it is they may be screwed since there's to be no gatherings above 25 people.  And even if they find a way to space it out by the 18th I would imagine it'll be further limited to 10 people and possibly beyond.

I love this PURE tournament.  Scientific wresting combined with worked wrestling maneuvers and a change of rules to differentiate it from anything else.  

Really loved Tracy Williams vs. Fred Yehi match.  The rules allow for new stories to be told and they told some great ones.  Watching it you start to get interested in one facet of the match and then forget that both guys were going to run out of rope breaks.  But they did smart things like Yehi and Williams still blocking holds even though they had 2-3 rope breaks left in the match. 

The selling is better and different and I don't have to watch guys thigh slap worked punches.  

The promos aren't bad, but they're not good.  Reminds me a lot of HHH type promos where it's a generic paint by numbers of how a wrestler cuts a promo

But as far as the tourney, god bless this stuff.  Glad I'm getting caught up on it.

HoC

• 2 weeks later...

Woods vs Lethal this week was damn good.  Taylor vs Brody was good big man stuff.

Still feel like ROH should drop the straight wrestling matches and go 100% pure, even if it means dropping a bunch of folks.   Gotta be a way to make it work with tags as well.

One issue I have with the pure stuff- why hasn't someone figured out that while fists to the face are so bad, any other kind of cheating isn't punished any differently than regular rules- why not rake the eyes?

Edited by alstein

On 11/29/2020 at 5:49 AM, alstein said:

Woods vs Lethal this week was damn good.  Taylor vs Brody was good big man stuff.

That was the first time I ever really paid attention to Josh Woods and this was good.  I dig that he is annoying and a great technical wrestler.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

December 18th?  They'll be lucky if Maryland is even open by December 1st let alone the 18th.  As it is they may be screwed since there's to be no gatherings above 25 people.  And even if they find a way to space it out by the 18th I would imagine it'll be further limited to 10 people and possibly beyond.

Maybe I am looking wrong but it seems from the background of the TV show that you can see that they are doing their TV tapings in that college in Bel Air where NXT started running.  So they have a building but it will probably be empty arena. 

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Maybe I am looking wrong but it seems from the background of the TV show that you can see that they are doing their TV tapings in that college in Bel Air where NXT started running.  So they have a building but it will probably be empty arena. 

Hold up.  Are you telling me that ROH, born and raised in Philadelphia, has moved to Bel Air after their life got flipped-turned upside down (by Covid)?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Would I be crazy if I said that RoH has been the best post-lockdown promotion in the world? Many other promotions had higher highs than RoH in these past few months, but I don't think that any other promotion has been so consistently enjoyable. Pure tournament was a blast and I'd say that majority of what we saw in post tournament TV episodes has been good to great as well. Now all they need is to deliver a good Final Battle PPV to cap it off.

On 11/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, Six String Orchestra said:

I've read that every title is to be on the line but there is no card yet.

Some matches have been set up during last couple of weeks:

Rush/Brody for RoH world title
EC3/Jay Briscoe
Taven/Bennett vs Vincent/Bateman

Mark Briscoe in a promo said that he wants to get back tag titles so we are probably getting Mark/X vs Gresham/Lethal for tag titles. From what I recall, before lockdown, Shane Taylor + SoS had trios titles shot so that might be a match as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Would I be crazy if I said that RoH has been the best post-lockdown promotion in the world? Many other promotions had higher highs than RoH in these past few months, but I don't think that any other promotion has been so consistently enjoyable. Pure tournament was a blast and I'd say that majority of what we saw in post tournament TV episodes has been good to great as well. Now all they need is to deliver a good Final Battle PPV to cap it off.

Some matches have been set up during last couple of weeks:

Rush/Brody for RoH world title
EC3/Jay Briscoe
Taven/Bennett vs Vincent/Bateman

Mark Briscoe in a promo said that he wants to get back tag titles so we are probably getting Mark/X vs Gresham/Lethal for tag titles. From what I recall, before lockdown, Shane Taylor + SoS had trios titles shot so that might be a match as well.

I don't think that's crazy at all, I think it's spot on.

HoC

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

ROH: UMBC Event Center in Baltimore (UMBC's basketball arena)

NXT: APG Federal Credit Union Arena in Bel Air

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DEAN said:

That was the first time I ever really paid attention to Josh Woods and this was good.  I dig that he is annoying and a great technical wrestler.

I've been a fan ever since seeing his match with Dan Severn at a Wrestlecade 3 years ago- though he was playing underdog in a face vs face match there.  Was getting mad folks were shitting on it there.

• Like 1

2nd time I've seen Tracy Williams.  I thought he had a near 5* match against Yehi.  His match against Lethal wasn't as good, but still really darn good.

I personally love the booking.  Going a little off topic, I remember years ago thinking that The Sopranos showed how to 'book' a swerve that can work in wrestling.  Basically when Janice shot Richie was the swerve as it was evident that Richie and Tony would square off and that would lead to Richie's demise. But Janice shot him and it shocked everybody...however, it made perfect sense as Richie was showing signs of being abusive to Janice and Janice was an unstable, take no shit from anybody type of person who was just assaulted by Richie.

Anyway, that's what the booking here reminded me of...although far less salacious.  It was evident that it would be Lethal vs. Gresham...but Willliams won in an upset.  But he deserved it, his matches have been great.  And it elevates Williams and likely doesn't hurt Lethal who is over anyway.

HoC

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I've really enjoyed ROH post-covid, Williams v Yehi in particular. Looking forward to Final Battle. I know many people don't like the vibe of empty arenas (understandable) but I feel that environment suits the stripped-down style (same with a match like Walter v Dragunov) more than WWE and AEW. 

Watched the latest episode, both matches were fun. I'm guessing Josh Woods will be Mark's tag partner? Because that's the ultimate bro team. 

The commentary team is so good. Their not perfect but I appreciate it sounding more MMA style, treating it as a combat sport. Adds to the new direction so much. 

Updated card:

ROH World Television Title #1 Contendership Match
Dak Draper vs. LSG vs. Tony Deppen vs. Josh Woods

Singles Match
Jay Briscoe vs. EC3

ROH Pure Title Match
Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. ???

ROH World Six Man Tag Team Title Match
MexiSquad (Bandido, Flamita & Rey Horus) (c) vs. Shane Taylor Promotions (Jasper Kaun, Moses Maddox & Shane Taylor)

ROH World Tag Team Title Match
Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Mark Briscoe & ???

ROH World Television Title Match
Dragon Lee (c) vs. Winner of 4 Way

ROH World Title Match
Rush (c) vs. Brody King

Source: https://www.rohwrestling.com/live/events/121820-final-battle

Would like to see who is filling out the remaining openings but card is coming together nice. 

So I said that RoH has been actually very good for a while now and what do they do with their next TV episode? Obviously, they shit the bed. PCO in tag titles match and Flip Gordon in Pure title match. Fuck off.

Edited by Archibald

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

So I said that RoH has been actually very good for a while now and what do they do with their next TV episode? Obviously, they shit the bed. PCO in tag titles match and Flip Gordon in Pure title match. Fuck off.

I guess I should be thankful there is no last minute Bully Ray street fight added but yeah, Flip in the pure title match is awful. No Wheeler Yuta? No Tracy Williams? I'd rather see John Walters! Hopefully Gresham just chokes him out in 30 seconds so he can go back to retweeting conspiracy theories.

PCO is fine, he did win the main title last year at Final Battle, mine as well be in a tag match where he won't be doing all the work. I'm not psyched for it though. 

So I don't know if this has shown on TV as I haven't watched the last 3 weeks but apparently the Foundation now includes Rhett Titus.  Because apparently you can't have a faction in ROH without either Kenny King or Rhett Titus in it.  and in some really bad cases both.     I mean I guess it is good for Lethal as he isn't the worst member of the group now 

Per ROH's website Bandido, EC3, Flamita and Kenny King are off Final Battle due to "covid pre-travel testing". Changes will be announced during the pre-show so I presume they are waiting to see if anyone else ends up having to be removed.

Also added is Fred Yehi/Wheeler Yuta vs Tracy Williams/Rhett Titus in a tag team pure wrestling rules match. Glad Yehi and Yuta ended up on the show.