DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

Video packages of the performers followed by the match!  This is a terrific format for ROH or any modern wrestling show.  The Castle-Leathal and Gresham-Yuta bouts were both strong.  This makes me interested in seeing this tournament out.  Or at least watching next week.  I agree with @alstein, they oughtta change to ROH 'pure' rules  full time for some idetity.  And direction. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I love this tournament.  "Let's channel Jack Brisco vs Dory Funk Jr."  I love that there is no crowd so fuck it- SCIENTIFIC WRESTLING!  Yehi vs Young was good.  I was noticing during the Josh Woods/ Kenny King match that if this style caught on, these guys' careers would be extended by twenty years.  Also, Kenny King was totally robbed.  He had him pinned but they called it a crappy rope break and the he had him in a submission when time ran out.  BOOOO!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to watch a episode of ROH over the weekend.  Sinclair needs to spend a few dollars for for piped-in crowd noise or something.  Taping the show with what appears to be 4 people in the building and no noise makes for the most lifeless wrestling I can remember seeing.  And I've been to more than my share of tiny indie shows with a couple dozen people or less in the crowd.  For some reason, crowdless ROH reminds me of..... uh, the moveset edit mode in the WWE games were it's just two generic dudes previewing moves.  Maybe ROH should put two guys under masks and dress them in red and green bodysuits to complete the effect.   

At a minimum, Sinclar needs to go to go to the flea market and buy an INXS album on cassette or something to play during matches.  You could probably get The Swing and a used cassette player for $20-$30.  That's probably in Sinclair's range.

I've tried to watch them and they just end up as background noise (and not much of it at that) while I'm on here or elsewhere. Heatless wrestling in an empty building, and promos that are trying not to be promos sure is... something. 

And of course then there's Sinclair's Fox News claptrap on the commercials but we won't get into that.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, notoriusvig said:

I'm thinking of subbing to HonorClub for a month but do they have the Pure title tournament shows on that or is it one of those deals where they don't put them up until later?

If you're just looking for those you might be best off using the Fite app.  They tend to have the ROH weekly stuff on there unless something recently changed.

https://heelbynature.com/wrestling-news/impact-wrestling/report-ring-of-honor-contacted-top-female-star-regarding-contract-status/

Report: Ring Of Honor Contacted Top Female Star Regarding Contract Status

Ring Of Honor has shown interest in one of the top female wrestling stars.

According to Fightful Select, Ring Of Honor contacted IMPACT Knockouts Champion Deonna Purrazzo, inquiring about her current contract status.

The report states, ROH has been reaching out to talent about coming into the promotion, they are looking to “revamp” the product in the coming months.

ROH has also been reaching out to talent about coming in. One of those was IMPACT Knockouts Champion Deonna Purrazzo, who was offered at IMPACT contract around the same time.

This week, IMPACT Wrestling confirmed Purrazzo signed a full-time deal with the company, which reportedly occurred a several weeks ago. 

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/backstage-news-on-the-roh-contracts-of-dragon-lee-rush

Backstage News On The ROH Contracts Of Dragon Lee & Rush

According to a report from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dragon Lee’s contract with Ring of Honor will be expiring on December 1. For those unaware, Lee is the current ROH Television champion and has not been brought in for tapings due to being a foreign talent.

ROH is taking very strict precautions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as they haven’t even brought in their current World Champion RUSH. His deal also expires at the end of this year.

https://wrestlingnews.co/roh-news/marty-scurll-removed-from-roh-roster/

Marty Scurll removed from ROH roster

It looks like two ROH names could be gone from the company.

Marty Scurll and Dan Maff have been removed from the ROH Wrestling website’s roster page. No reason was given but both have not been involved with shows for months. Scurll had also been working in a creative capacity for the company earlier this year.

In Scurll’s case, there were questions about his future with the company because of the #SpeakingOut allegation from a woman who says he sexually abused her in 2015 when she was 16 years old and intoxicated.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/10/backstage-news-on-marty-scurll-being-removed-from-roh-roster-676294/

Re-signing with ROH in January, Scurll took over head booker duties, which are now reportedly handled by Hunter Johnston (aka Delirious). 

Scurll has recently been removed from the ROH active roster page. Dave Meltzer of F4WOnline reports that Scurll currently doesn't have a role in the company.

The former ROH TV Champion is reportedly not fired from the company, but is still not involved with creative, nor does ROH have any plans to use him. He hasn't wrestled since February, and didn't appear at any recent tapings.

Dan Maff had that big send off in January at ICW No Holds Barred, because he was getting signed (by ROH, which made it odd that they were making a big deal about, when he'd still be able to work indies). And now he's apparently out of there already?

ROH just did the opposite of what we see out of AEW tournaments, hyping and booking the Pure tournament to seem like we were headed to a Gresham/Lethal final the whole way, only to go with the 1998 style swerve and have Tracy Williams beat Lethal in the finals.  Man, they really fooled all those dumb marks who wanted to see that final!  Yay!

Edited by Technico Support

On 11/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, Technico Support said:

ROH just did the opposite of what we see out of AEW tournaments, hyping and booking the Pure tournament to seem like we were headed to a Gresham/Lethal final the whole way, only to go with the 1998 style swerve and have Tracy Williams beat Lethal in the finals.  Man, they really fooled all those dumb marks who wanted to see that final!  Yay!

I guess to play devils advocate, we have seen Lethal vs Gresham a ton of times.  Too early to think about breaking up or even the seeds of it.   Omega vs Page was the first time meeting 

That Shane Taylor- Kenny King match, other than King basically no-selling a piledriver, was about everything I like in wrestling.  This was the first time I have seen SOS and why didn't they go over?  They are the new SST.

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

That Shane Taylor- Kenny King match, other than King basically no-selling a piledriver, was about everything I like in wrestling.  This was the first time I have seen SOS and why didn't they go over?  They are the new SST.

Khan & Moses were the MCW Tag Champs in 2018.   I remember going apeshit when they beat the crap out of G4H at Autumn Armageddon.   Those dudes were the Guerillas of Destiny without the suck.

They had a two month long monster feud with Black Wall$treet and the Punk Rock All-Stars that made me spend a lot of cash on tickets and tolls to fucking Joppa.  Then Drollix needed knee surgery and things weren't that much fun anymore.

I am sorta hoping Drollix will reform Harbor City Hit Squad / Charm City Fight Club one day with the Black Wall$treet members that haven't fled to other indies or gone back to their day jobs.

The new SST will be formed when someone Is brave enough to bundle Jacob Fatu and Lance Anoa'i into a tag-team.  I'd like to see that happen in the NWA or AEW, but Lance is hell bent to get to the WWE and Jacob has a contract with MLW.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Khan & Moses were the MCW Tag Champs in 2018.   I remember going apeshit when they beat the crap out of G4H at Autumn Armageddon. 

They had a two month long monster feud with Black Wall$treet and the Punk Rock All-Stars that made me spend a lot of cash on tickets and tolls to fucking Joppa.  Then Drollix needed knee surgery and things weren't that much fun anymore.

I am sorta hoping Drollix will reform Harbor City Hit Squad / Charm City Fight Club one day with the Black Wall$treet members that haven't fled to other indies or gone back to their day jobs.

I haven't seen ROH in awhile but was happy to see SOS being on there.  And to go with point I know the few times seeing them in MCW I knew they were gonna have one helluva bright future.

But considering The Bruiser passed away I don't know what will happen with MCW.  I'm sure they'll still be around once restrictions are lifted but it won't be the same.

• Like 1