DVDVR Message Board

Will 2020 be the last Ring of Honor Thread...

Guest Edwin

I've read ROH has been putting up a ton of old matches on Honor Club, but I can't find listings for what they've uploaded anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find these listings or share what has been uploaded from 2007 and before? I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2020/07/24/roh-teases-signing-former-wwe-superstars/

Mike Bennett and Maria Kanellis didn’t show up at Slammiversary for Impact Wrestling. They were a part of Talk ‘N ShopAMania, but that event included a lot of people from all over the pro wrestling world.

Mike and Maria appeared on the ROH podcast recently. Maria had a lot to say about WWE. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted that while their return to ROH isn’t 100% confirmed, it was certainly teased and somewhat expected at this point.

“It has not been said that Mike & Maria Bennett are returning here, they did a spot on the ROH podcast this past week and the promotion has teased their return“

ROH hasn’t started filming new content yet. The pandemic caused them to cease production, but they aren’t done yet. The company hasn’t fired anyone, and they even paid all talent and crew who were scheduled to be at those cancelled events, even if they weren’t contracted.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/ring-honor-return-television-production-month-maryland

With the safety and health of talents, staff and production crew at the forefront, Ring of Honor Wrestling will return to producing new episodes of the “Ring of Honor Wrestling” television program this August 2020 in the home state of Maryland.

ROH will adhere to a very stringent protocol as well as the regulations set in place by the Maryland State Athletic Commission. ROH will be instituting the necessary testing and safety measures in a continued effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19. There will be no fans or staff who are not essential to the production present during these events.

“Taking care of our people during this difficult time has been and still is our No. 1 priority,” ROH Chief Operating Officer Joe Koff said. “That’s why we have spent many weeks working alongside the Maryland State commission in gearing towards our return to producing wrestling action. The strictest of protocols, testing and measures will be in place to assure us of this directive.” 

Ring of Honor’s last events were the cancelled 18th Anniversary and Past vs Present shows in Las Vegas last March 13th and 14th. Since then, the company has opted to cease taping operations until there was a safe way to resume. These new tapings will pick up right where ROH left off with a focus on the ROH Pure Title Tournament, which had been originally scheduled for April. 

Oh boy, Delirious is back as head booker. I guess they think it's better to go with the devil they know instead of someone else filling in as head booker while Marty is out.

• Like 1

I mean they were getting to the point of having 1 hour show of Joe Hendry matches.   They were desperate to put anything new on TV

Really have no idea of judging how good Marty was in ROH based on maybe 2 months of television.  The product seemed to a little better but nothing significant.  I think it was more of a mental thing for ROH fans 

Edited by hammerva

According to Marty, the Anniversary and Past vs Present shows we’re going to be the beginning of his true vision for the promotion.  Before that, he was just kind of cleaning up what he had been left with.

Ten of the 16 entrants have now been confirmed for Ring of Honor's Pure title tournament.

It was announced on today's episode of ROH Week By Week that Rocky Romero, PJ Black, and Tony Deppen will be taking part in the Pure title tournament. This will be Deppen's ROH debut. He was originally supposed to debut in the tournament when it was scheduled to begin in April.

The three additions join Jay Lethal, Jonathan Gresham, Matt Sydal, David Finlay, Tracy Williams, Josh Woods, and the debuting Wheeler Yuta as wrestlers who have been confirmed for the tournament.

And

ROH has also clarified the rules for Pure matches:

• Every match begins and ends with the Code of Honor handshake.
  • Each wrestler has three rope breaks to stop submission holds and pinfalls. After a wrestler exhausts his rope breaks, submission and pin attempts on or under the ropes by his opponent are legal.
  • Closed-fist punches to the face are not permitted; only open-handed slaps or chops to the face are allowed. Punches to other parts of the body are permitted, excluding low blows. The first use of a closed fist will get a warning; the second will be a disqualification.
  • As in standard ROH matches, there will be a 20-count when a wrestler is on the floor.
  • Outside interference will result in automatic termination from the roster for the wrestler that interferes.
  • There will be two blocks, single-elimination format.
  • Round 1 matches have a 15-minute time limit.
  • Block semifinals have a 20-minute time limit.
  • Block finals have a 30-minute time limit.
  • The tournament final has a one-hour time limit.
  • There will be three judges for each match, and time-limit draws will go to a judges’ decision.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:31 PM, hammerva said:

I mean they were getting to the point of having 1 hour show of Joe Hendry matches.   They were desperate to put anything new on TV

This week it will be The Allure and last week it was Rhett Titus who's main event match was from Maryland Championship Wrestling. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, Craig H said:

Oh boy, Delirious is back as head booker. I guess they think it's better to go with the devil they know instead of someone else filling in as head booker while Marty is out.

Was that officially announced anywhere?

These tv tapings are in someways some of the most important shows in the company history, which is a loosing situation to be in because there is almost no way they can over deliver. 

With the shakeup/buzz around the the scheduled shows before the shutdown, the first shows back after the hiatus will really set the tone for the company all the way through the end of the year. But, the are doing it without a good number of foreign talents, slashes to the Pure tournament roster, and missing the most popular face they had pre-shut down. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 11:11 PM, Hail Sabin said:

This week it will be The Allure and last week it was Rhett Titus who's main event match was from Maryland Championship Wrestling. 

The funny thing watching the Rhett Titus one is how many of us in 2010 actually thought Rhett Titus & Kenny King had more potential than the team of Adam Cole and Kyle O Reilly  ?

https://www.rohwrestling.com/current-tv-episode

They put it up on their website.

Really enjoyed both matches.  Gresham vs Yuta was particularly good, and I wish more folks used what Gresham did to finish the match- it was a cool and violent way to end it.   I think Castle is never going to be 100% again though, not even 5 months off helped all that much.

If I was ROH, I'd consider changing ROH to a pure rules fed, and have almost all the matches be under pure rules from now on.  It would give them a real identity, and it's not that limiting, you just lose blatant punches to the face.

Edited by alstein