DVDVR Message Board

2020 IMPACT Wrestling Thread

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Surprised TNA didn't can Tessa Blanchard's ass at the start of the year with all the women wrestlers burying her for horrible behaviour to other women.

I  mean they still haven't fired Elgin....

That's right, I forgot WOW got dumped from AXSTV along with New Japan and the rotating lineup of MMA promotions. At least, I think it did. You never know though, McLane might pop up somewhere else if/when COVID blows over. Women's wrestling is too big right now not to exploit again.

Don't know where I saw this, but WOW was claiming to have a "new deal" or working on one. It's wrestling, so who knows?

As for Tessa, Impact stuck with her through a lot of thick and thin, and she responds by telling the company to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I honestly had my doubts she could work the Slammiversary match (given Penta's return to Impact, it looks like some parts of Mexico are allowing travel to the U.S. for work. Not sure where Tessa and Daga live at the moment or what the area's travel policies are) to begin with, but at least return Impact's calls, talk to them and be forthcoming.

Just think, 6-7 months ago everyone was wondering if Tessa would jump to AEW to join her dad and the occasional 80s Crockett cosplay there, go to WWE and do something with Charlotte, etc. Now, does any U.S. promotion even dare try to work with her, given her reputation and attitude? 

They live in Mexico so I can understand why she can't come into the actual tapings.  Although I believe AAA is doing empty arena shows in some form so why she can't do ONE match is something.   But I mean all she has to do is send in one or two promos and they would have given her the slack to be a champion until the pandemic is over.  She couldn't even do that.   I don't know if it is laziness or arrogance or what

The thing you really have to be worried about is there is almost nobody you can replace in today's climate that would be better except maybe Eddie Edwards.  Elgin was fired.  Moose is a legit moron.  Sami has a LONG history.   Maybe you can try Ace Austin?  

Elgin isn't fired (yet). Moose is already the TNA Champion, so maybe they should just make it official? Even though he has a past of his own. I don't know, I barely watch Impact, so..

Also, if her contract was supposed to expire on June 30th... I mean, Impact kind of worked themselves into a corner here. Tessa is definitely at fault for not being a professional, but it's not like Impact hasn't known her contract is coming to an end, radio silence from Tessa, and they wait this close to the expiration date to finally do something? I mean...

17 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Mike Elgin removed from upcoming episodes of Impact.

SRS phrased it in his tweet that he "will not be appearing in any further IMPACT Wrestling programming."

This all feels like the logical result of building a promotion around performers that nobody at a higher level will touch. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Elgin isn't fired (yet). Moose is already the TNA Champion, so maybe they should just make it official? Even though he has a past of his own. I don't know, I barely watch Impact, so..

Also, if her contract was supposed to expire on June 30th... I mean, Impact kind of worked themselves into a corner here. Tessa is definitely at fault for not being a professional, but it's not like Impact hasn't known her contract is coming to an end, radio silence from Tessa, and they wait this close to the expiration date to finally do something? I mean...

All this sounds a bit fishy to me. 

For the record, I believe Daga and Tessa live in TJ. If not there, somewhere in Baja California close by. 

Second, Tessa hasn't worked in AAA since they ran the Hulu Theater last September. I think she works for KAOZ Lucha Libre (which does have some sort of working relationship with AAA) and other Mexican indies now. I believe KAOZ just started back up with empty arena stuff. Daga is on their card for Sunday, but she isn't.

IMO This sounds like she either refused to come back to work or they weren't willing to offer her a new deal/negotiate a deal during a pandemic and they needed an excuse to get rid of her. Why would you need promos from someone who you (A) don't know if they will work for you in a month since their deal is coming to an end and (B) you have no clue when they will be able to return to work? I don't watch WWE but are Roman Reigns and Sami Zayn sending in promos from home for programs they ain't going to be working? 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Roman isn't the Champ, and Zayn was stripped of the IC belt.

Yes, I know this. However, if you're not ready or do not have the ability to come back (i.e. travel restrictions), why would you be sending promos in with no set return date?

To answer your last question - no (though Reigns might have been on The Bump once or twice)

In a vacuum - it definitely comes across as choosing to fire someone for not wanting to work during the pandemic.

That being said - the perception could also come across as IMPACT did her a solid AND by making her champ, she could have at least cut some promos since you are their world champ.

In reality - it most likely was contract dispute and both sides looked and MLB and said "that is the right way to handle things"

No one really comes out of this looking good

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To answer your last question - no (though Reigns might have been on The Bump once or twice)

In a vacuum - it definitely comes across as choosing to fire someone for not wanting to work during the pandemic.

That being said - the perception could also come across as IMPACT did her a solid AND by making her champ, she could have at least cut some promos since you are their world champ.

In reality - it most likely was contract dispute and both sides looked and MLB and said "that is the right way to handle things"

No one really comes out of this looking good

Bingo. All this just comes across as peculiar when you really think about it. 

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, I know this. However, if you're not ready or do not have the ability to come back (i.e. travel restrictions), why would you be sending promos in with no set return date?

I mean its wrestling - they could easily do something like "no one is worthy to face me. I will return when I want to"

Like a female Brock thing

However - I doubt Tessa was bringing in the numbers Brock would so how long you want to go without your champ is a different story

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I mean its wrestling - they could easily do something like "no one is worthy to face me. I will return when I want to"

Like a female Brock thing

However - I doubt Tessa was bringing in the numbers Brock would so how long you want to go without your champ is a different story

Does she really need to do that in person over Zoom or Skype? You can just release a kayfabe statement from her.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Does she really need to do that in person over Zoom or Skype? You can just release a kayfabe statement from her.

If it is being read by Josh Matthews then yes - she absolutely needs to do it over Zoom or Skype

• Haha 6

Oh and

There was a recent physical altercation between two Impact Wrestling stars.

On Friday, Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful Select reported that there was a fight between Michael Elgin and Sami Callihan at a recent set of TV tapings. Per the report, the two were setting up a match that also involved Ken Shamrock.

The issues started when they disagreed on how the match should start. It escalated to the point where the two ended up fighting and Impact executive Scott D’Amore had to step in.

I dunno if I had "World Champion gets fired cause he or she didn't get to the WebEx meeting fast enough" on my 2020 bingo card.

But I did have Mike Elgin and Sami Callihan get into a fight over who is the bigger asshole on there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

The thing you really have to be worried about is there is almost nobody you can replace in today's climate that would be better except maybe Eddie Edwards.  Elgin was fired.  Moose is a legit moron.  Sami has a LONG history.   Maybe you can try Ace Austin? 

Said it before, we already have an answer: Willie Mack.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I get the thought process here. But she's under contract. She's still (as far as we know) getting paid a downside guarantee while not working tapings. If your boss asks you to send a video since it's not feasible to be in person, is that really such an over reach? Like it's your job, they're paying you, and you can't film a 30 second cell phone promo? It literally couldn't be easier to shoot your own content these days.

Plus it sounds like they already had Josh Mathews film the wrap arounds throwing it to her promo, so they had to redo all the wrap arounds. That has got to be super annoying that your stuck up racist champ can't take 30 seconds out of her day and talk into her phone. And you have to re-tape a bunch of stuff because of it.

They both look bad here. Impact should have called an audible when her racism allegations came out. But they stuck their head in the sand like they always do on behavior issues. It's 2020, Impact is at best the number 5ish national wrestling brand... and they're still pulling TNAs everywhere.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I get the thought process here. But she's under contract. She's still (as far as we know) getting paid a downside guarantee while not working tapings. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that given that we don't know how the company has been affected by the pandemic. Things are little be too crazy to using an AFAIK. I don't think anybody here knows.

9 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Plus it sounds like they already had Josh Mathews film the wrap arounds throwing it to her promo, so they had to redo all the wrap arounds. That has got to be super annoying that your stuck up racist champ can't take 30 second out of her day and talk into her phone. And you have to re-tape a bunch of stuff because of it.

Well, don't put the title on her. It was their bright idea in the first place. Again, I don't see the utility in doing content with a person who isn't going to be there. And judging by what's been going on as late, probably wasn't going to be much longer anywhere.

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

They both look bad here. Impact should have called an audible when her racism allegations came out. But they stuck their head in the sand like they always do on behavior issues. It's 2020, Impact is at best the number 5ish national wrestling brand... and they're still pulling TNAs everywhere.

That's why they have no credibility with me. If I felt this decision was in good faith and they had a resume of good decision making, I would not think twice. However, this is the new boss, same as the old boss.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that given that we don't know how the company has been affected by the pandemic. Things are little be too crazy to using an AFAIK. I don't think anybody here knows.

Fair point. I did read on one of the news sites somewhere that Impact was still paying all talent through the pandemic. But it's never come from anyone official so it could be BS.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, don't put the title on her. It was their bright idea in the first place. Again, I don't see the utility in doing content with a person who isn't going to be there. And judging by what's been going on as late, probably wasn't going to be much longer anywhere.

Another fair point. I agree, they should not have given her the title. But I've had plenty of jobs where the boss asked me for things I didn't see the utility in doing it, but I still had to do it lol. Yes, ultimately kind of pointless to promote a match she knew she wasn't going to do. But again takes only 30 seconds to film a mailed in BS promo. She could have worded it however she wanted and not specifically promoted the match. Just cut a generic deal putting herself over just to comply and help them fill air time like they asked. I don't think that's asking too much. Especially for a company that had her back during a scandal (which again I don't agree with them doing).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1