DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Did you like the social media stuff?

If they just kept it strictly to people actually in the business(I know they had Blue Meanie.. and I think that Brian Zane guy) then yes. Do I want to see/hear some random fat slob's opinion on what he/she just saw? No.

If they just kept it strictly to people actually in the business(I know they had Blue Meanie.. and I think that Brian Zane guy) then yes. Do I want to see/hear some random fat slob's opinion on what he/she just saw? No. ? 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don’t have a real problem with people giving opinions on a wrestling show. What I do have a problem with is the presentation of it. It felt really confusing while watching it all. I thought at first I was watching a pre-show where YouTube personalities gave opinions on last weeks show. But no, these were apparently taped opinions to a very short show that didn’t air yet wrapped around by Sean Mooney who sounded, and looked great. Then to add to it, this show was barely over 15 minutes before it just ended anti-climatically with no new Powerrr to follow. Maybe they’ll film more stuff at the next streaming taping, but I don’t think it’ll be a good idea to have your crowd sit around longer for prelim stuff. Shit people at Dynamite, or 205 Live barely want to stick around for that either.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Not get all fantasy-booking but I'd love Shane Douglas to show up in NWA as someone's mouthpiece. He could cut a promo on how he tried to destroy the NWA when he trashed the belt but it just won't die, but THIS GUY is gonna get the job done. Fuck, you could build a whole stable around that idea

• Like 3

Trying to get caught up before The Circle Squared debuts, which I didn't.

Episode 18:

Mooney with the cold open, teasing the Free Enterprise footage of Marty's rebuttal. The ROH-NWA partnership is really strong this time around and also i'm digging Mooney in this role like I said he's before my time so I've never really seen much of him.

The Dawsons w/ Pope vs The Bouncers w/Eddie Kingston -  Starting the show off with a match right on. Eli Drake is on commentary as James Storm stands in the back and drinks. They are scouting the tag scene. Thats a nice touch, the champs don't fear a challenge actually they seem to encourage it. This was as coined on this Board, a hoss fight. These are all large dudes and they smacked the shit outta each other. Match was fun, I enjoy a good tag match and NWA has been bulking up the tag division as off late and I can get behind this. Milonas hit a superplex on Dave Dawson, Bruiser hit a frog splash on him they call it the blackout for the 3. Kingston was razor focused on the action at ringside this is all personal for him. This whole Eddie-Pope things fire was fueled by Popes disparaging remarks about Homicide the week prior, on commentary they are really pushing this Homicide injury angle, Homicide is gonna be at the ROH tapings in Vegas come March he's facing Brody King, I'd be interested in seeing if he is back on Powerrr by the time the Brody King matches airs with NWA and ROH being in the same Universe and all. 

After the match Storm pours beer into the Crockett Cup he, Bruiser, and Milonas drink from it drake teases drinking from it then drinks his protein shake instead. Storm ends the segment by chugging from the cup and its a large cup as the crowd encourages him. The NWA, where alcoholism is fun! I wonder with Drake not drinking and Storm never not drinking if this will ever come into play maybe effect the outcome of some matches and Drake turns on Storm somewhere down the road?

Aldis cut a promo on Marty in a stairway at Free Enterprise that was really good. A little teaser for later.

Latimer cut a promo before his match with Tim Storm, he called Tim an old fart and declares him and Royce are gonna regain the tag team championships. Galli asks Kamille a question and he doesn't get an answer. She does tease a slap to the face though.

Thomas Latimer vs Tim Storm - They wrestled like big men. Tests of strength, shoulder tackles trading strikes. This was fun they trashed talked too. It was personal Tim has his one man crusade against Strictly Business. To be fair alot of people have beef with SB but Sb seems to have beef with Tim Storm. They formed beating Tim up. latimer moved out of spear attempt, Tim hit the turnbuckle Latimer caught a DDT for the 3 off of that. They do more of the Mama Storm stuff after the match crowd chants "fight your mom", Tim walks away. IDK where they are going with this but it's somewhere. I think. 

Aldis makes his entrance at free Enterprise more teasing. They should just air the match at this point. How long was it? I know they want you to check out honor club and not give away the match for free but it was a free show it should be on ROH's YouTube. Air the match with the stip to end the show. Aldis and Royce vs Rock n Roll can be the main event in two weeks or Have Aldis wrestle then show the match. 

Trevor Murdoch is fed up with Aron Stevens' running away from a fight he wants a straight wrestling match, no more running. He wants a rematch, he's entitled to a rematch I think twn minutes for a title bout thats ridiculous. Trevor Murdoch is the National Champion we need. Question Mark comes out dressed like the Bride sings the Mongrovian National Anthem and challenges Murdoch to a wrestling match.

Sean Mooney has another Control Center segment. This is where we get the clip of Marty counter offering with if he beats Nick, Nick has to pay him half a million dollars, Nick Accepts. Thats it I think making Kamille do a sit down interview with Joe Galli is a bigger deal than money. Circle Squared is debuting in Powerrr's plus on Tuesday. Mooneys hosting I'll check it out. There's a new interview Powerrr Surge coming soon and their doing another End of the Season Special with Super Powerrr. I'll be watching all of it. Mooney plugs his Podcast, Trevor Murdoch is his guest. 

Nikita Koloff is a preacher now and he has a commercial for it. Koloff for Christ Missionaries. I looked it up it's legit. 

NWA Television Championship Ricky Starks (c) vs Matt Cross - Match started off slow they chain wrestled a bit and were evenly matched for most the match. Crowd started a duel chant. There's some kids in the crowd that love Ricky Starks, he's a home grown star its cool to see the stroke daddy really has taken advantage of the studio atmosphere. Cross hit a handspring elbow that i thought was pretty cool looking.Starks hit a swinging DDT of the turnbuckle that was also pretty cool looking. Cross hit a cross cutter with 4 seconds left and went for the top rope but ran out of time. Match was a time limit draw. they established a draw counting as victory for the champ in the lucky 7 club.

Zicky Dice comes out dressed like a coke dealer and cuts a promo on one Ricky Starks, calls the match a yawn fest. The difference between Ricky and Zicky, Zicky Dice finishes every time. Outlandish. This is setting up a match i'd assume a rematch from a couple weeks back when Starks retained the TV title against him.

Marti Belle adds more fuel to the fire. Marti is still a disciple of Melina's almost blindly following her. Marti gets super defensive over Melina. Did Marti and Alysin team upin TNA cuz she talks about standing behind Alysin for years and I don't have every context or reference. amrti also says she was Alysins former best friend but nothing on Powerr ever indicated they were close, Alysin also seemed dismissive if you ask me. Alyson Kay comes out cuts a rah-rah speech for the people and then gets all sentimental and says she will also care about Marti and Marti Belle walks away.

Melina vs Tasha Steelz - A you still got it chants starts up when Melina does the splits on the apron and that got a chuckle out of me. Melina is a women possessed in this. She wants to prove she deserves a Women's Title shot so she beats the dog snot out of Tasha. Tasha gets some offense in some vicious elbows and an European Uppercut to be exact but it only seems to fire up Melina. Malina almost rips Tasha's head off with a lariat followed by like a split legged neck-breaker thing for the 3.

Melina then cuts a heel promo about not having to prove herself to anyone. Melina and Thunder Rosa for the title next week Sanctioned by Melina. 

Nick Aldis and Royce Issacs vs Rock n Roll Express - No May Valentine with Royce thats a bummer. No vlog this week either an even bigger disappointment, I didn't get to check out her outfit. I spoke too soon May Valentine and Sal Rinauro take seats at ringside. Is Sal a low key Mr. Steal Your Girl? May blows Royce kisses so she seems oblivious to Sal's intentions. Ricky Morton hit a hurricanrona on Aldis out of powerbomb attempt that was really cool. Royce has been lacking focus as of late and this match is no different he seems preoccupied by Sal and May at ringside and it costs him, Robert works his ankle over. Nick still has beef with Ricky he caught Mr. Morton with a couple cheap shots throughout the contest. Match breaks down the ref isn't paying much attention Royce pins Robert with his feet on the ropes for the 3. Cheat to win. Royce and May embrace after the match and Sal gets a chant from the crowd.

Show ends with a video package for Marty vs Aldis 2. I can't wait for this match. I think Marti leaves the Cup with the Championship.

I'm adding this to my post cuz I don't wanna make to posts right on top of each other sorry for the length.

Circle Squared Episode 1: 

Billy Corgan introduces us to the show from a theater in New York. it's like a competition series for unsigned talent to win a NWA Contract and make the main roster seems like it can be a really cool idea.

Sean Mooney behind a green screen then gives us some updates, Powerrr will be back next week and the location and ticket info for the Crockett Cup will be announced during the program.

Looks like there's gonna be fan interaction. Blue Meanie seems to be involved via Skype.

They idea behind the name of the show is you get to prove yourself in the promo circle and the square of the ring.

Kyle Davis the bald backstage interviewer has the Marquez role on this program. 

Luke and PJ Hawx father son tag team get the first promo. I remember Hawx from Wrestling Society X and I've seen these two tag in a dark match before the Supercard of Honor show in New Orleans. Plus they are all over twitter right now with a video of PJ doing a crossbody from a mall balcony into a ring. They're promo was cool. 

We get fan feedback of the promo ok this is different not bad, Brian Zane from Wrestling with Wreget is on this. There's some professional Wrestling Youtubers I think but theres also just regular people. They are the mall Crossbody clip.

Nikita Koloff, Christian Ministor is managing the next team. Nikita looks like someones friendly grandpa. Nikita references winning the tag titles with uncle Ivan twice. That was cool a little history lesson. Jeff Lewis Neal and Tyson Dean who I don't know from Adam and Nikita calls them the best kept secret in wrestling come out. They are two bald guys in singlets.

More fan interaction.

They run a promo for Melina vs Thunder Rosa, it must be the main event of Powerrr thats gonna be cool but I suspect shenanigans will be afoot.

Before the match they air a video package of Luke and PJ and Tyson Dean and Jeff Lewis Neal cutting sit down promos 

Luke and PJ Hawx vs Tyson Dean and Jeff Lewis Neal w/Nikita Koloff - Nikita's guys start of strong dominating arly by jumping the Hawx right at the bell or it may have been slightly before the bell. The younger Hawx, PJ spends a lot time honoring his Ricky Morton skills buy being isolated in the Bald Teams corner and eats a bit of offensive. Luke gets the tag and cleans house and the crowd is wild for it. They are behind The Hawx. A double team I dont know it was like a 3D but PJ tosses the guy in the air and Luke hits a cover for the 3. The Hawx looked like a million bucks it's cool to see a father son tag team it's also cool that a journeymen stalwart like Luke get a late career resurgence teaming with his son that has to feel great. 

Blue Meanie starts the feedback for the match. Everyone watching seems to like the match. The Hawx are the clear favorites though. 

Kyle Davis brings both teams to the Padium and now its time for the fans to vote. The results coming next week.

Mooney closes the show by revealing the location for the Crockett Cup. It's the Gateway Arena at College Park in you guessed it College Park, Georgia on April 19th. It's a WNBA arena it holds 3500 for basketball and 5,000 for concerts so it holds something in the middle for wrestling. It'll be interesting to see how well they draw in this arena it's a fairly small sized arena and could be actually will be the gauge on how well NWA can draw outside of the PBS Studios. Also it will be a good indication on how hot Aldis vs Scurll really is. 

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

I really dug this latest episode. They're doing a masterful job of getting my sympathy for guys like Eddie Kingston (who I've always liked) and Trevor Murdoch (who I've never cared about) week in and week out. Same with Tim Storm, who I desperately want to see snap his singles losing streak. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peck said:

Anyone besides Tennessee Volunteers Santa and It's Still Real To Me, Dammit Guy going to shell out money for Man Camp with Lex and Nikita?

to be honest - I'm wondering where this 40 acre ranch is. I bet I could afford it in whatever backwood county that's in. Might be a good retirement home. ?

6 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

You know how Cena had that shirt with the belt on it? Well, if the NWA doesn't come out with a Zicky Dice shirt with a fanny pack on it, I don't even know. "Nobody touches my funny pack" is one of the greatest things a wrestler has ever said in earnest.

He held that shit up like it was the actual TV Title after stealing that win.

That's both fantastic and stupid as hell at the same time. 

Kinda sad to see Ricky Starks lose the TV title so relatively soon. 

CW/Caleb vs Dawsons, not bad, but what a bizarre stip. "Losing team's contracts expire.... well actually CW doesn't have a contract, but he's fighting to get one!"

Solid tag team main event.

Zicky Dice just makes me think this is what would happen if Eddie Gilbert was raised eating paint chips.

Aron Stevens might have the best comedic timing in wrestling today - and I'm damn sure interested in Rock N' Roll 2020. For some odd reason they can still go. 

Liked the angle w/ Mae Valentine. 

Eli Drake is legit my favorite wrestler right now. 

Eddie Kingston vs Pope is so good. It deserves a bigger stage, but I'm happy to have it in the NWA.  Kingston is a modern day master. 

• Like 3

That piece of shit Zicky Dice did it. Lord help us all.

He's going to be great at doing the Steven Regal TV Champion thing where he milks count-outs, stalling, and draws for all he's worth en route to a title shot.

Did y'all see him lick the title after winning? Then he goes to cut a promo, has Latimer pull his punk card, scrambles backward out of the camera shot in fear, and then comes back INTO the camera shot dancing away from the interview booth. Dude looked like Dude Love cosplaying DDP with that dance.

Zicky's at the perfect nexus of me thinking that he's a hell of a great pro wrestling heel when I step back from it, but also me wanting to see him catch a whooping when I'm actually watching the show.

This show has like five or six angles that are all excellent fun going at the same time. I haven't felt this way about a weekly show's handling of its angles since 2015 NXT. I'm not saying that the show is as good as 2015 NXT was; I'm just saying it's the first time in awhile where I've been looking forward to more angles than I can count on one hand each week. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 7:44 AM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

By the way, what happened to the Cabana/Anderson programme?

IIRC Anderson no-showed the Hard Times PPV and wasn't used at the next tapings. Cabana is likely gone too if he's with AEW now so they're probably just gonna drop the whole thing and not mention either guy

5 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

IIRC Anderson no-showed the Hard Times PPV and wasn't used at the next tapings. Cabana is likely gone too if he's with AEW now so they're probably just gonna drop the whole thing and not mention either guy

It's always better to not mention Ken Anderson...EVER.

• Like 1