DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

I love when we get to have theme music in NWA. Natalia Markova often on the preshows, always a showstealer. Labrava's been pretty awesome so far too. CJ was hilarious both here and later on in the battle royal. 

Didn't expect Cyon to lose the National title, sad I enjoyed his reign. Another fun women's tag titles match.

Kenzie vs Max was an extended beatdown until the out of nowhere finish. Was actually looking forward to this the most coming off Kenzie's road to the finals, it wasn't much match-wise but I'm happy for the finish and to see Kenzie become the first women's TV champ.

Kerry/Alonzo ended up quite good after not expecting much, good near falls. Solid tag titles match and another great Kamille defense. Enjoyed the main even if figuring Adonis would never win it, he still rules.

next PPVs Crockett Cup on June 3 & 4 

full results NWA 312:

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Natalia Markova def. Labrava Escobar (w/ CJ) (6:28) after the Beautiful Destruction

*Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews)(c) def. The SVGTs (Jax Dane & Blake Troop (w/ Chris Silvio) when Andrews pinned Troop with a rollup to RETAIN the NWA US Tag Team Championships

*Gaagz the Gymp def. Sal Rinauro (10:38) in the Mask vs. Hair Strap Match. After the match Gaagz began shaving Sal's head until Sal took it and did the rest himself. Afterwards, Judais ordered them to kneel and kiss his boots but they walked out on him.

-The Crockett Cup is announced for June 3 & 4th in Winston-Salem, NC

*Trevor Murdoch & Mike Knox def. Daisy Kill & Talos (12:49) when Murdoch pinned Talos after a High/Low with Knox

NWA 312 - April 7, 2023 from Highland Park, IL

*EC3 def. Cyon(c) (w/ Austin Idol) (9:37) via The Purpose submission to WIN the NWA National Championship.

*Madi & Missa Kate(c) def. Pretty Empowered (Ella Envy & Roxy) (9:07) when Missa pinned Roxy after the Kick Fil A to RETAIN the Women's Tag Team Championships.

*Kratos def. Yabo the Clown (7:00) after the K2D

*Thrillbilly Silas (w/ Pollo del Mar) won the Bob Luce Memorial Battle Royal, (19:08) last eliminating Odinson, to become #1 contender to the NWA National Championship at the Crockett Cup.

*Kenzie Paige def. Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) (8:11) after the Kenzie Cutter on a steel chair behind the ref's back to WIN the NWA Women's Television Championship.

*Kerry Morton(c) (w/ Ricky Morton) def. Joe Alonzo (w/ Jamie Stanley) (14:37) after the Showstopper to RETAIN the Junior Championship

*Bully Ray def. Thom Latimer via DQ (10:30)

*La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) def. Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) (10:20) to RETAIN the tag team championships

*Kamille(c) def. La Rosa Negra (13:00) after the Spear to RETAIN the women's championship

*Tyrus(c) def. Chris Adonis (12:37) to RETAIN the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship when Adonis used the Adonislock but Tyrus leaned back into a pin.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, this is a good episode of pro wrestling.  Ella Envy and Kenzie Paige beat the crud out of each other for four minutes.  Trevor Murdoch and Mike Knox are AWESOME against fellow hosses, Cannonball Lazursky and JAy Bradley.  Silas Mason looks awesome against Odinson.  HERE! HERE!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tonight is night 1 of the 2023 Crockett Cup, so i'm using this as my jumping on point for following the NWA again. I'm hoping to go to the NWA 75th Anniversary show (this year! St. Louis! date not yet announced). Anyway, here's the newest episode of POWERRR!
hoping to post up weekly reviews, but i don't know what format they'll take. probably won't be full show reviews like this one, but i guess we'll see. NWA USA will be sporadic

last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVwUy6r6Sqo

Spoiler

first thoughts: wow, this ring is fairly small. It's not well lit, and there's maybe 100 fans in attendance. yikes, this is quite a downgrade from the studio setup they had for the first year or whatever of Corgan's revival.

Blake Troop  vs.  Talos
Talos is a tall dude, and it looks impressive in this setting. Troop is one half of 'the Savages' and wrestles an MMA style. cool spot where Talos lifts Troop up for a chokeslam, but Troop locks on a triangle submission. Talos fights out of it by lifting Troop up into a powerbomb. fun match that sees Talos winning via Figure 4.

Interview: Trevor Murdoch & Mike Knox are entering the Crockett Cup. sign me up!

NWA Tag Team Titles: La Rebelión (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) (c)  vs.  Magnum Muscle (Dax Draper & Mims)
fun match here that sees La Rebelion dominate most of it. Hot tag to Draper, and he just wipes out both men. Mims breaks up a double team and Magnum Muscle hit their finisher to score the upset. NEW CHAMPS! wow, that was unexpected!
wait, Billy Corgan is ringside and talking to the referee. The legal man was not pinned, so the match is officially a no contest and La Rebelion retain. well, that ending sucked. good match ruined by a confusing and stupid finish.

non-Junior Heavyweight Title match: Kerry Morton (c)  vs.  Jeremiah Plunkett
non-title because Plunkett didn't make weight. 
decent little match that showed off both mens' skills. Morton works over the arm/wrist and scores the pinfall after a Show Stopper.

MasterLock Challenge: Aron Stevens
lots of stall tactics from Stevens, but when Adonis finally locks on the MasterLock, Stevens screams and immediately gives up. went on a bit long for my taste, but it wasn't bad.

overall a fun episode. 

this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvE5glsaYnA

Spoiler

non-US Tag Team Titles match: Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch  vs.  Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews) (c)
ok match that doesn't really deliver the brawling or hard hitting action that you would expect from looking at these two teams. only goes about 5 minutes before a few other teams run in, leading to a big brawl. i'm interested in what both of these teams has to offer.

Crockett Cup Qualifying Match: Ryan Matthews & Mario Pardua  vs.  the Now (Hale Collins & Vic Delicious)
pretty decent squash match that sees the Now earn their way into the tournament. They worked well as a team and looked pretty good. Pardua's body and movements remind me a lot of a young Rocky Maivia. i assume he's pretty much a jobber, but i would like to see more of him.

James Mitchell cuts a promo. He is managing Max the Impaler & Judais. He's really looking like Kevin Sullivan. He references Godzilla meets Bambi. fun promo.

Samantha Starr  vs.  Kylie Page
not a great match. both of these ladies must be pretty new, because there's not a lot of cohesion happening here. 

promo from Natalya Markova. She's challenging Kamille for the Women's Title this weekend. Kamille is still the champ? i'm pretty sure she was when i last watched, pre-pandemic! Markova looks like a star

Crockett Cup Qualifying Match: Handsome Bastards (Magic Jake Dumas & Mercurio)  vs.  America's Ego (Joe Alonzo & Jamie Stanley)
this was kind of a mess. Mercurio spends most of the match ringside, flirting (?) with their valet CJ while his partner get beaten down. Then Magic Jake turns it around and fights them both off before hitting his finisher, the Tombstone Piledriver. Mercurio tags himself in and steals the pin. besides the obvious 'tag partners who don't get along' story, i don't really know what they were going for here. Alonzo looked pretty good. 

Thrillbilly Silas Mason has an in-ring confrontation with NWA National Champion EC3. cringe promo from Thrillbilly and his valet. EC3 suggests they team up in the Crockett Cup instead of facing off in a title match. Thrillbilly teases joining up, but instead kisses EC3 and lays him out with a bossman slam. this wasn't great.

wow, this episode wasn't very good. must have been leftover matches from the latest set of tapings or something. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 3

Agreed on last week's being good, this week not so much.  Last week's original airing abruptly cut off half way through Morton/Plunkett and had to be re uploaded in full the next day. Dak & Mims looked great in the almost title win.

It's gonna be a marathon of wrestling this weekend for sure!

CROCKETTCUP2023-BRACKET-1200x640.jpg

NIGHT 1 card

NWA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
EC3(c) vs. Thrillbilly Silas (w/ Pollo Del Mar)

HARDCORE WAR
La Rosa Negra, Madi Wrenkowski, Missa Kate, & Samantha Starr (w/ Baby Doll) vs. Pretty Empowered (Ella Envy, Kenzie Paige, Kylie Paige, & Roxy)

FATAL 4 WAY for the Final Spot in the Crockett Cup
Daisy Kill & Talos vs. The Miserably Faithful (Sal the Pal & Gaagz the Gymp) vs. Eric Jackson & Jeremiah Plunkett (w/ Danny Dealz) vs. The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum)

THE CROCKETT CUP
The Flippin' Psychos (Flip Gordon & Fodder w/ Angelina Love) vs. Sent 2 Slaughter (Dan Maff & Shawn Donovan)
Idolmania Sports Management (Cyon & Jordan Clearwater w/ Austin Idol) vs. 4 Way Winner
SVGS (Jax Dane & Blake Troop) vs. TNT (Terrance & Terrell Hughes)
The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky) vs. The Brothers of Funstruction (Yabo the Clown & Ruffo the Clown)
Judais & Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) vs. The NOW (Hale Collins & Vik Dalishus)
The War Gods (Kratos & Odinson) vs. Brian Brock & Magic Jake Dumas (w/ CJ)
Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) vs. The Spectaculars (Brady Pierce & Rush Freeman w/ Rolando Freeman)
Los Vipers (Arez & Toxin) vs. The Heatseekers (Elliot Russell & Matt Sigmon)

La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) vs. Winners of CYN/S2S
Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage) vs. Winners of Idolmania/4 Way Winner
Jinetes del Aire (Myzteziz Jr. & Octagon Jr.) vs. Winners of SVGS/TNT
A Cut Above (Thom Latimer & Rhett Titus) vs. Winners of Fixers/Funstruction
The Midnight Riders (Tyrus & Chris Adonis) vs. Winners of Judais/Max v. The NOW
The Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews) vs. Winners of War Gods v. Brock/Dumas
Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch vs. Winners of Muscle/Spectaculars
The Mortons (Ricky & Kerry Morton) vs. Winners of Vipers/Heatseekers

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

That was definitely a lot of wrestling!  I liked the vibe of the Crockett Cup with a wide variety of matches, some less expected outcomes. Most of the matches being fairly quick.  Ricky Morton turning heel with Kerry was an intriguing swerve I didn't see coming.  The top 2-3 matches were all pretty solid, plus Vampiro!!

The Hardcore War was my favorite match of the night. Madi absolutely nailed Roxy with the Reality Check, she's always a highlight. Nice use of Baby Doll in the finish too. Pretty Empowered are great.

Crockett Cup Night 1 Results:

Spoiler

PRESHOW
*The Flippin' Psychos (Flip Gordon & Fodder w/ Angelina Love) def. Sent 2 Slaughter (Dan Maff & Shawn Donovan) (7:20) when Flip pinned Donovan with a 2nd rope moonsault.

*SVGS (Jax Dane & Blake Troop w/ Chris Silvio) def. TNT (Terrance & Terrell Hughes) (6:53) when Troop used a figure four leglock

*(Aired joined in progress from the fanfest before the preshow)The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum) def. Daisy Kill & Talos, The Miserably Faithful (Sal the Pal & Gaagz the Gymp) and Eric Jackson & Jeremiah Plunkett (w/ Danny Dealz) (2:32) to qualify for the Crockett Cup 

*The Brothers of Funstruction (Yabo the Clown & Ruffo the Clown) def. The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky) (6:25) when Ruffo used a crucifix rollup on Legursky.

*Los Vipers (Arez & Toxin) def. The Heatseekers (Elliot Russell & Matt Sigmon) (6:29) when Arez pinned Sigmon with a northern lights suplex

*(Aired joined in progress from earlier): Judais & Max the Impaler def. The NOW (Hale Collins & Vik Dalishus) (3:13) when Judais pinned Collins after a chokeslam.

*The Immortals (Kratos & Odinson) def. Brian Brock & Magic Jake Dumas (w/ CJ) (4:30) when Kratos pinned Brock after the KTG. 

*The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum) def. Idolmania Sports Management (Cyon & Jordan Clearwater w/ Austin Idol) (9:00) after a masked man interfered to take out Cyon.

NWA Crockett Cup Night 1 PPV - June 3, 2023

*Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage w/ Aron Stevens) def. The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum) (7:35)

*The Immortals (Kratos & Odinson) def. The Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews) (8:01) when Kratos pinned Andrews after the KTG

*Joe Alonzo (w/ Jamie Stanley) def. Alex Taylor (w/ Danny Dealz) (7:56) via submission to advance to the junior scramble on Night 2.

*The Mortons (Ricky & Kerry Morton) def. Los Vipers (Arez & Toxin) (7:28) after Ricky used Kerry's junior title as a weapon, turning heel in the process.

*The Brothers of Funstruction (Yabo the Clown & Ruffo the Clown) def. A Cut Above (Rhett Titus & Thom Latimer) (9:33) with a rollup on Rhett. After the match, Kamille came out for an interview. Kamille encouraged Latimer to focus on his TV title and getting to the world title, then addressed her championship defense against Natalia Markova tomorrow night. 

*Jinetes del Aire (Myzteziz Jr. & Octagon Jr.) def. SVGS (Jax Dane & Blake Troop w/ Chris Silvio) (5:47) when Octagon Jr. pinned Troop after Myzteziz used a springboard 450

*Ruthie Jay, Madi Wrenkowski, Missa Kate, & Samantha Starr (w/ Baby Doll) def. Ella Envy, Kenzie Paige, Kylie Paige, & Roxy (14:09) in Hardcore War when Samantha pinned Envy after using a Coal Miner's Glove from Baby Doll.

*Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch def. Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) (5:59) when Knox pinned Mims

*The Midnight Riders (Chris Adonis & Tyrus) def. Judais & Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) (9:37) via DQ when Max shoved the referee down. 

*EC3 def. Thrillbilly Silas (w/ Pollo Del Mar) (12:59) via rollup with tights pulled to retain the NWA National Championship. After the match, Silas stepped over Pollo, who had been knocked down, on his way to the back.

*La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf) def. The Flippin' Psychos (Flip Gordon & Fodder w/ Angelina Love) (11:44) when Mecha Wolf pinned Flip with a frog splash after interference from Vampiro. Match was initially 2 on 1 as Fodder was not medically cleared to compete due to a foot injury but came down after 10 minutes in to join the match anyway.

This was pretty good all the way through. Fun women's tag title defense on the preshow. M95 are great together.  Nice surprise to have Colby Corino back in the NWA.

Kamille/Markova was the epic showstealer of the weekend, as often is the case with Kamille's big title defenses. I dug Markova having Smashing Pumpkins entrance music. A few times I thought she might pull it off, but Kamille continues killing it. 

Crockett Cup final was fun. Knox & Murdoch make a super solid old school style team and I love BFT as the modern Doom. 

Crockett Cup Night 2 Results:

Spoiler

PRESHOW

*Country Gentlemen (Anthony Andrews & AJ Cazana)(c) def. The NOW (Hale Collins & Vik Dalishus), The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky), Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims), Daisy Kill & Talos, TNT (Terrance & Terrell Hughes), The Spectaculars (Brady Pierce & Rolando Freeman), Los Vipers (Arez & Toxin), & SVGS (Jax Dane & Blake Troop w/ Chris Silvio) (17:24) to retain the NWA US Tag Team Championships in a Gauntlet Match.

*Thrillbilly Silas (w/ Alex Taylor) def. Dan Maff (5:45) after the Thrillride 

*M95 (Madi Wrenkowski & Missa Kate)(c) def. Angelina Love & Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) (7:10) when Missa pinned Angelina Love after Kick Filet to retain the NWA Women's Tag Team Championships.

*Ruthie Jay def. Kenzie Paige(c) (5:14) via DQ when Kylie Paige interfered. 

NWA Crockett Cup Night 2 PPV - June 4, 2023

*Jinetes del Aire (Myzteziz Jr. & Octagon Jr.) def. The Brothers of Funstruction (Yabo & Ruffo the Clown) 

*Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch def. The Mortons (Ricky & Kerry Morton) (9:48) when Knox pinned Kerry after the High/Low. 

*The Midnight Riders (Tyrus & Chris Adonis) def. The Immortals (Kratos & Odinson) (7:42) when Adonis used the Masterlock on Odinson.

*Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage w/ Aron Stevens) def. La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf w/ Vampiro) (5:58) after the Dramanator. 

*EC3(c) def. Thom Latimer (11:41) to retain the NWA National Championship after kicking the rope in to Latimer's groin when he entered the ring. 

*Colby Corino (w/ Jamie Stanley) def. Jarron Fulton, Eric Jackson, PJ Hawx, Gaagz the Gymp, Flip Gordon, & Joe Alonzo (10:54) after a DDT on Flip to become #1 contender to the NWA Junior Title. After the match, Kerry Morton got in Colby's face. Colby offered a handshake but Kerry kicked it away. 

*Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage w/ Aron Stevens) def. Jinetes del Aire (Myzteziz Jr. & Octagon Jr.) (6:06) to advance to the Crockett Cup finals

*Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch def. The Midnight Riders (Chris Adonis & Tyrus) (9:55) when Knox pinned Adonis to advance to the Crockett Cup finals

*The Masked Man def. Cyon via ref stoppage in an unsanctioned match after Austin Idol turned on Cyon and knocked him out with brass knux. Jordan Clearwater came to check on Cyon but was knocked out as well. The Masked Man dragged Clearwater on top of Cyon as Idol spit on them and walked out.

*Kamille(c) def. Natalia Markova (12:56) after the Spear to retain the NWA Women's Championship.

*Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch def. Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage w/ Aron Stevens) (9:59) when Murdoch pinned Carnage after the High/Low to WIN the Crockett Cup.

• Like 1

so it took me three days, but i finally finished Crockett Cup. in retrospect, beginning my NWA return with this one was probably a bad idea- i knew very few of the performers, zero of the storylines, and there was just SO many people that i likely missed a TON of what i'm here for. Anyway,

i enjoyed the shows quite a bit overall. Kamille vs Markova and Myzteziz/Arez vs SVGS were my matches of the event. dug the Knox & Murdoch team. i'm here for Colby Corino (his dad has become one of my favorites throughout my recent watchings), the SVGS is probably my favorite team, and Markova lived up to here promo from last week's show. 

Chris Adonis is still pretty good. the long hair/beard combo doesn't seem to fit the image he's going for. one or the other would be fine, but he just kinda looks unkempt? Blunt Force Trauma has my interest to an extent. i don't love them but may depending on how the look and who they work moving forward. Not sure how i feel about EC3 or Thrillbilly Silas. or Latimer to a lesser extent, tho he looked quite good compared to pre-pandemic IMO. 

Tyrus looked terrible. i haven't seen him in years. Does he always look unmotivated?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

have i missed an update on NWA Powerrr? They haven't posted a new episode since before the Crockett Cup. They've been doing Crockett Cup recap shows, and yesterday they started posting videos from the World Is A Vampire (Australian tour). Have they announced a new strategy? i really just want to follow the weekly show leading up to NWA 75 (which probably happens late August, but they still haven't confirmed that yet?)

Why make it hard to get invested in your show?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

have i missed an update on NWA Powerrr? They haven't posted a new episode since before the Crockett Cup. They've been doing Crockett Cup recap shows, and yesterday they started posting videos from the World Is A Vampire (Australian tour). Have they announced a new strategy? i really just want to follow the weekly show leading up to NWA 75 (which probably happens late August, but they still haven't confirmed that yet?)

Why make it hard to get invested in your show?

Agreed it's been an unusual coming off a PPV to only have recaps and old stuff, usually the coming off the hot PPV was their best stuff.  Next tapings are July 9, so there will be a couple more weeks like this.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

NWA POWERRR!
7/11/23 @ Highland Park, IL

Brothers of Funstruction vs. Le Rebellion (c) - non Tag Team titles match
the clown team does absolutely nothing for me. i don't understand their (seemingly?) sudden push. zero interest. Vampiro with la Rebelion adds some intrigue, but we get a pretty paint-by-numbers match with a nonsensical finish.

Ricky Morton vs. Koa Laxamana
Morton is freshly heel, so that should add some fun to what will likely be a squash match. well, Koa showed promise. Ricky Morton has been 70 years old for 50 years now. not much of a match, but it was ok.

Zyon vs. Rolando Freeman
Freeman seems inexplicably over with the crowd. i don't inderstand the Austin Idol/Zyon/Cyon drama despite watching the Crockett Cup. i didn't expect much here, but it was a fun match.

Natalia Markova & Pretty Empowered vs. Kamille, M95, & Ruthie Jay
Markova is BARELY staying in her top. it is DISTRACTING. ok, i'll settle down. this match was fast and furious. it had action and intensity. great stuff!

NWA National Title:  "Thrillbilly" Silas Mason vs. EC3 (c)
this is a rematch from the Crockett Cup, and these guys pick up right where they left off. solid match but falls apart a bit at the finish. 

#NWA75 implications galore!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

Ricky Morton's Canadian Destroyer finisher is the best.

Women's trios match ruled, can definitely get behind another Kamille/Markova match.

EC3 apparently relinquishing the National by simply dropping it was unexpected, but I loved how so suddenly and immediately it was turned to "OMG He's challenging Tyrus for the world title at NWA75!!!!!"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

EC3 apparently relinquishing the National by simply dropping it was unexpected, but I loved how so suddenly and immediately it was turned to "OMG He's challenging Tyrus for the world title at NWA75!!!!!"

yeah, i was perplexed that Joe Galli immediately knew what EC3 was going for, since for all the years i've watched wrestling, i've never seen a relinquishment/challenge for a title go down in a fashion anywhere close to that. i guess it worked, in a "mic drop" kind of way? it certainly is an interesting way to start the buildup to that match tho.

• Like 1

NWA POWERRR!
7/18/23 @ Highland Park, IL

Alex Taylor  vs.  Colby Corino
fun, fast-paced match. Corino gets my attention, being the son of one of my all time faves. he made a big return at Crockett Cup and has looked impressive since. worth watching.

TV Title: Thom Latimer (c)  vs.  Mario Pardua
i forgot about the fun stipulations with the TV Title matches (6:05 time limit, + successfully defending 7 times nets you a NWA World Title match). This surprised me by being more competitive than i expected, especially since Pardua got the jobber entrance.

US Tag Team Title #1 Contender Tournament Semifinal:
Daisy Kill & Talos  vs.  Magic, Inc. ("the Barker" Cody James & "Magic" Jake Dumas)
competent match that was more enjoyable than i expected. Talos is a tall dude. Daisy Kill has possibly the worst ring name of all time. the Magic Inc. team is really all about their valet, CJ.

US Tag Team Title #1 Contender Tournament Semifinal:
Spectaculars (Rush Freeman & Brady Pearce) vs.  Fixers, LLC (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky)
the Spectaculars are pretty bland Fantastics clones. Wrecking Ball is a big dude that moves well. HOSS STYLE, BABY! not a ton too this match, but i enjoyed it for what it was.

bizarre promo from Vampiro, who is now the manager Legend of NWA Tag Team champions La Rebelion. He seemed very out of it, and i have no idea if it was in character or not.

Matt Cardona offers an open challenge for NWA75. decent enough promo. He promises NWA75 will be "Chapter 2" of his quest to "save the NWA"

Women's TV Title
Samantha Starr  vs.  Kenzie Paige (c)
decent little quick match here. nothing special, but it was fun.

SEE YOU IN 7!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 3

Vampiro mentioned a few years back that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but has been working somewhat steadily ever since, including a couple of dates in the U.S. last year. Can't imagine this guy passing any sort of physical (if he's telling the truth), but this is wrestling.

11 hours ago, colonial said:

Vampiro mentioned a few years back that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but has been working somewhat steadily ever since, including a couple of dates in the U.S. last year. Can't imagine this guy passing any sort of physical (if he's telling the truth), but this is wrestling.

Vamp has made a series of bizarre health claims for many years now. i don't know how much is true, how much is complete bullshit, and how much was misdiagnosed (whether that be a self-diagnosis or not) but clearly there are and have been issues for a while now. Whatever the case may be, i hope he takes care of himself.

NWA POWERRR!
7/25/23 @ Highland Park, IL

Damage Carnage  vs.  Jax Dane
the on screen graphics designated this competitor as "Damage", but Joe Galli refers to him as "Carnage". I had to check to last week's video, but it was indeed Carnage.
BMMSM! never really kicks into high gear, which is a bit disappointing, but the <5 minutes we get showed promise. i'd like to see more.

Knox & Murdoch  vs.  BMF Alpha Kings (Russ Jones & Schaff)
Jones & Schaff get the jobber entrance but look like a couple well put together tattooed guys. fun hard-hitting brawl-type match that showcased both teams' toughness. Yeah, i dug this one. 

Mims  vs.  Blake Troop
i like Mims and i really like the way Troop incorporates MMA into his pro wrestling style. This match was fine, but left me feeling somewhat underwhelmed. 

non U.S. Tag Team Titles match:
Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews) (c)   vs.  Odinson & Jordan Clearwater
the Gentlemen haven't impressed me since i started watching. They seem like throwbacks to the worst of 80s teams- a couple larger than average size who don't really do much and aren't very interesting. Maybe that will change with more exposure to them.  Odinson's regular partner Kratos is out with an undisclosed injury, so Clearwater joins Odinson in this one (and presumably going forward). this match is all about selling the idea of Odinson and Clearwater as regular partners- both to the audience as well as to themselves. Viewed through that lens, it had its charm, but overall i wasn't very invested. Finishing stretch picked up the pace a bit and it salvaged the match somewhat (even with one of the competitors being out of place).

Junior Heavyweight Championship:
Kerry Morton (c)  vs.  Matt Vine
solid action and a fun quick match. Kerry Morton's heel persona is working for him, but it still feels like we're in the beginning stages of what this could develop into. That's a good thing, and i look forward to seeing it progress.

no women's match? BOO! that's usually the highlight. 
4 shows to go until #NWA75!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

NWA just announced Violent J of the Insane Clown Posse will be appearing at NWA 75 to manage the Brothers of Funstruction. Looks like he'll be involved opposing Vampiro managing La Rebelion

They teased this last night by tweeting "Whoop Whoop" and the reaction from some fans fearing it was Marty Scurll was amusing, made for a relief that it was just ICP